Did anyone preorder the Ipad today?

Bob- why do you hope it is a flop?

On a forum where the most vocal have spoken out against the ipad, go check the poll I ran and you'll see the most popular selection is the ipad.

Sorry...but I laughed when I saw the release of this.

I'd buy a good notebook on sale instead. Much more value and doesn't have the Nazi lockdown on it.

Bob- why do you hope it is a flop?
There's a decided difference between having a hunch about the eventual success (or failure) of the iPad and hoping it will be the next Newton.

As the current model missed basic expectations on a few important features and metrics, maybe another marketplace dud will convince Apple to be more thoughtful about what they choose to omit (or make an extra cost option out of) in future products.

There's a decided difference between having a hunch about the eventual success (or failure) of the iPad and hoping it will be the next Newton.

As the current model missed basic expectations on a few important features and metrics, maybe another marketplace dud will convince Apple to be more thoughtful about what they choose to omit (or make an extra cost option out of) in future products.
The "missed basic expectations" are only a problem if people are using it like they would a laptop - I don't think that will be the case. The people who keep pointing out the iPad's shortcomings remind me of a monkey that sees a telephone pole for the first time, "There aren't enough branches, there's no fruit, there's no bark and it's hard to climb! What good is this tree?" I think the iPad will do well with the people it was targeted at - the rest will just think it's an incomplete laptop.

Just my 2 cents...

Mario

(Before anyone gets huffy, I wasn't calling anyone here a monkey. It was just a metaphor.)

I was wondering why anybody in the Phone Zone would care about this anyway since it is not a phone.

SHHH keep it on the low down. Be smart and dont buy the IPAD if it does not sell well Apple will lower the price. SHH keep it on the low do not buy untill the price is reduce

SHHH keep it on the low down. Be smart and dont buy the IPAD if it does not sell well Apple will lower the price. SHH keep it on the low do not buy untill the price is reduce

Price reduction or much improved features needed at this price. I am going to wait for V2 or maybe V3 (took 3GS for me to finally get an iPhone).

I ordered one! Can't wait! I think it will make a great addition to my HT setup with RedEye and a great Insteon home automation controller... Gotta love new gadgets!

Probably skip V2 and replace it when V3 hits.

MIke- By the time 3GS came out htc had already produced a superior phone with the touch pro. Unless of course you just had to have that apple. :)

On another note- Apple Board of directors just granted COO Cook a $5M bonus plus 17M in stock with a dual vesting date. In the press release it was divulged that Steve Jobs received a liver transplant and the bonus was for handling things at Apple while Steve was on 6 months medical leave.

A stock trader Sean Udall who claims to have insider connections at Apple said the ipad preorder sales were heavy today.

MIke- By the time 3GS came out htc had already produced a superior phone with the touch pro.
That is, of course, your opinion. It doesn't represent the opinion of everyone who has compared the devices.

It looks like the iPad was selling at a rate of 20,000 to 25,000 per hour today.

Last edited:
The people who keep pointing out the iPad's shortcomings remind me of a monkey that sees a telephone pole for the first time, "There aren't enough branches, there's no fruit, there's no bark and it's hard to climb! What good is this tree?")
The time for utility poles has largely come and gone. The time for PDAs that don't include phones has passed as well.

I'm headed to Houston next month. One of my objectives is to drop by the Apple store there and get a hands-on with the iPad. Is it worth $200 more over the equal-memory iPod Touch to get the bigger screen, that's my question.

Regarding an iPad without a G3 radio, I think it makes more sense to get the WiFi-only iPad and use a MiFi device, chosing the best wireless provider for your area instead of being tied to AT&T. If the G3 radio was a user-replaceable module, that would be better, but that isn't Apple's way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)