Did ATT Just Throw Dish A (small)Lifeline?

With no real explanation, I was recently notified by ATT/Directv that, as of 12/1/18, my retailer agreement with them would be terminated. The handwriting has been on the wall for Directv and I ever since ATT took it over and frankly, I was planning on terminating it myself in January. Dealing with ATT/Directv has been a nightmare the last couple of years. Last week, for the first time ever, I changed my cell phone service provider thus completing my long overdue separation from ATT.

With no real explanation, I was recently notified by ATT/Directv that, as of 12/1/18, my retailer agreement with them would be terminated. The handwriting has been on the wall for Directv and I ever since ATT took it over and frankly, I was planning on terminating it myself in January. Dealing with ATT/Directv has been a nightmare the last couple of years. Last week, for the first time ever, I changed my cell phone service provider thus completing my long overdue separation from ATT.
Do they owe you $2.8 million dollars?

DirecTV is now pretty much a sideline for AT&T. If you don't sell their cell phones or other services they don't want you as a dealer any more.

DirecTV is now pretty much a sideline for AT&T. If you don't sell their cell phones or other services they don't want you as a dealer any more.
If DISH closed doors tomorrow I would go back to Charter before I would ever go to ATT in our area. I hope all them old Direct TV customers go to DISH.

If Dish closed up shop tomorrow, I'd ask my landlord if I could put up a 12 foot C-band dish and I'd go full-on FTA. I've already got 3 Ku dishes with a 1.2m mini-BUD on the way ;) Guess you could say I've got a "BUD" in the oven! :whoo

I get 21.5 mbps broadband DSL and I have Youtube TV for free through work, so I'd use that quite a bit for sports. And my antenna for OTA.

If Dish closed up shop tomorrow, I'd ask my landlord if I could put up a 12 foot C-band dish and I'd go full-on FTA. I've already got 3 Ku dishes with a 1.2m mini-BUD on the way ;) Guess you could say I've got a "BUD" in the oven! :whoo

I get 21.5 mbps broadband DSL and I have Youtube TV for free through work, so I'd use that quite a bit for sports. And my antenna for OTA.

Still remember being on C-Band and a VHS recorder. Switched to DISH in 2005 starting out with a 625 two tuner receiver. It was like
dying and going to heaven. Still using the C-Band coax.

I've had moderate success with their Triple Play bundles but never embraced the cell phone segment. I considered it, but after much research and retailer feedback, I thankfully chose not to.

In reality, I get 21.5 mbps broadband DSL and I have Youtube TV for free through work, so I'd use that quite a bit for sports. And my antenna for OTA.
Sounds like a good plan. My redneck headend board has an A/B switch. All I have to do is select Spectrum Cable instead of DISH. My home 12 point spliter along with a couple of spliters go to all cable outlets in my home. I may have to use the inferior Spectrum DVRs, but I would never go to ATT.

Attachments

• A-B Switch-1.jpg
    A-B Switch-1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 156
Sounds like a good plan. My redneck headend board has an A/B switch. All I have to do is select Spectrum Cable instead of DISH. My home 12 point spliter along with a couple of spliters go to all cable outlets in my home. I may have to use the inferior Spectrum DVRs, but I would never go to ATT.

That is a very organized setup. Good work.

Still remember being on C-Band and a VHS recorder. Switched to DISH in 2005 starting out with a 625 two tuner receiver. It was like
dying and going to heaven. Still using the C-Band coax.
I started out a little more spoiled than you with DISH in 2007 on VIP722/722ks. It felt like heaven to me too switching from Charter Cable. DISH DVRs are far more superior than anything else to me. May the good Lord stay with us and DISH TV too. :)

Reactions: glynnp
I don't see it happening for a long time. New customers, sure, but I'm sure existing satellite ATT customers will still have access to the birds for many years to come, until the self-install option becomes ubiquitous.
Everything new is old.I sold Dish at one point in my retail career.Customer would take home box with dish,receiver inside along with self installation kit.After a while they started offering free professional installation because customer would stop peaking after they got a picture.Then they would lose picture as soon as a cloud formed and wonder why.Once professional installation was offered for free we told any customer doing a self install that as soon as the box was opened there were no returns.

At&t as much as said Satellite would not be their vehicle of service going forward. I linked to an article with quotes in the Directv forum around the time of the merger or so. No one ever said it would end tomorrow, but it is begining to look like it could be few days after tomorrow. Certainly not only me, but I said At&t is going to look at cost of delivery, they have an established track record of that being a guide to how they proceed. Replacing satellites, paying for rolling trucks, etc etc. will not win out when those costs can be cut. If they own some of the content too - content maybe others don't have or have to pay dearly for that is an accelerating factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts