Did ATT Just Throw Dish A (small)Lifeline?

If it's like everything else, we'll be subsidizing those other areas where workers make $1 a day. Not complaining, just being realistic. I'll be very glad to see an affordable internet service as I'm one of those whose only choice is satellite or cellular.

I expect the pricing will be appropriate to the target markets, and the economies of scale should help to keep those prices down I think. Initial offerings to attract early adopters may be pretty attractive. As a mobile RV'er mostly dependent on cell based Internet, the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Please forgive me if this was already posted, but I didn't have time to read more than the first page or so of post, but I wanted to be certain that people knew the following: Dave Zats has on his Zats Not Funny site some info about a new AT&T streaming box that AT&T wants volunteer consumers to Beta Test. A few commenters feel it may be the long awaited streaming box for full DirecTV service.

Please forgive me if this was already posted, but I didn't have time to read more than the first page or so of post, but I wanted to be certain that people knew the following: Dave Zats has on his Zats Not Funny site some info about a new AT&T streaming box that AT&T wants volunteer consumers to Beta Test. A few commenters feel it may be the long awaited streaming box for full DirecTV service.

All the streaming box is a way to display Directv now because some customers can’t grasp the concept of getting Tv via an app.

I sell Directv now. Everyday we have people asking where they can pick up equipment.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
At&T is the one that may need a lifeline.

They went on a buying spree and are the most heavily indebted company in the county.
If their customer base slips (as is happening with satellite) or if interest rates pop up, they will move into junk bond status.

ATT is almost too big not to fail at this point. Atleast, not to go without a break up of some sort. See if they can pull off a Comcast.

Tell that to the original AT&T and the Bell System...

That wasn't done to prevent a failure of the company. I am thinking more of the auto and bank bailouts of the 80s and aughts. I am not making a political statement here -- just saying what happened, for better or worse.

Reactions: TheKrell
Getting too big for its britches and being forced to split up due to its questionable activities is failure in my book.

Getting too big for its britches and being forced to split up due to its questionable activities is failure in my book.

Sure, but they weren't in danger of filing Chapter 11 due to being unable to make debt payments, as people have suggested might happen to today's AT&T, so not really the same thing.

Sure, but they weren't in danger of filing Chapter 11 due to being unable to make debt payments, as people have suggested might happen to today's AT&T, so not really the same thing.
Yeah, I don't believe that either, but they will fail.

Reactions: ncted
Who all is wanting in on the LEO broadband service? I heard of others wanting to do this as well with plans I thought with some major players involved. I think it’s the future of internet, cell phone and tv services.

Interesting that the article completely ignores Dish and only refers to ATT. Media bias, anyone?

It did mention Dish-

The US pay-TV industry reportedly lost a record number of TV subscribers last quarter, and the satellite services from DirecTV and Dish Network (which also owns internet-TV service Sling TV) were the hardest hit.

Reactions: trojan67

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)