Did Dish fix their OTA Dual Tuner overheating problems?

Auto hop works on ota channels for the main networks. I have no locals from the satellite but I do have ota and I have prime time anywhere turned on. If I make an ota recording of the big 4 networks, I get auto skip on them the next day in my dma.

Interesting. How do you turn on PTAT without being subbed to satellite locals?

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't think PTAT works with OTA channels (others may correct me on this).

PTAT records the entire TP that your locals are on from the satellite and then plays the program you select out of that recording.

If you don't sub to Sat locals, I don't think it will work.

You can record from your OTA tuner if you have one, but only 2 channels at a time if you have the dual tuner dongle.

AutoHop, possibly.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't think PTAT works with OTA channels (others may correct me on this).

PTAT records the entire TP that your locals are on from the satellite and then plays the program you select out of that recording.

If you don't sub to Sat locals, I don't think it will work.

You can record from your OTA tuner if you have one, but only 2 channels at a time if you have the dual tuner dongle.

AutoHop, possibly.
TheKrell can give everything check out and let us know how it all works.

Of course PTAT doesn't work without the DISH locals but it will turn on and AutoHop will work on the OTA main channels without the DISH locals. I've seen it operate that way in the past and MikeD-C05 confirmed a couple of posts ago in this thread that it still works that way.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Well, I'll be blessed. I never went in to look at PTAT before, because I "knew" Autohop wouldn't work without PTAT. I enabled it for all days on Fox only since I follow The Orville. So, JSheridan, will it record prime time on my Fox affiliate via 1 OTA tuner, or will that not happen either? I already have a timer set on The Orville. I'll see what happens when it next records... That's nearly 2 weeks from now for the next new episode.

Well, I'll be blessed. I never went in to look at PTAT before, because I "knew" Autohop wouldn't work without PTAT. I enabled it for all days on Fox only since I follow The Orville. So, JSheridan, will it record prime time on my Fox affiliate via 1 OTA tuner, or will that not happen either? I already have a timer set on The Orville. I'll see what happens when it next records... That's nearly 2 weeks from now for the next new episode.

The Orville is a great show. :)

AFAIK PTAT will not record anything without the DISH provided locals. Just set your timers for the OTA channels and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Hi, is the OTA Dual Tuner better at picking up and maintaining a signal than the single OTA tuner? I have a TiVo which works very well so I know it's not the antenna. My Hopper 3 with single Dish OTA tuner never seemed stable.

Thanks for all the help, just to let everybody know. I go the AirTV dual tuner, I canceled my local channel subscription and saving $12/mo. Everything works perfectly including the auto commercial skip and the tuner runs barely warm. I have a nice antenna in the attic and pickup 84 local stations, I couldn't be any happier.

BTW, I am curious, can you record 2 more OTA channels if you add a second AirTV dual tuner plugged into the second USB port?

Last edited:
Hi, is the OTA Dual Tuner better at picking up and maintaining a signal than the single OTA tuner? I have a TiVo which works very well so I know it's not the antenna. My Hopper 3 with single Dish OTA tuner never seemed stable.

it is better, but I still get the "tuning" wording at times

Of course PTAT doesn't work without the DISH locals but it will turn on and AutoHop will work on the OTA main channels without the DISH locals. I've seen it operate that way in the past and MikeD-C05 confirmed a couple of posts ago in this thread that it still works that way.

AFAIK PTAT will not record anything without the DISH provided locals. Just set your timers for the OTA channels and you should be good to go.

I have some preliminary feedback. I turned on PTAT for Fox only, even though I don't have satellite locals. Well, it's recording everything on prime time Fox via OTA which was a big surprise. Also, I see no red Kangaroo icon anywhere, nor do I see any commercials skipped. Am I not waiting long enough?

I have the dual-tuner. I wonder if you could turn on PTAT on 2 channels and have it work?

I have some preliminary feedback. I turned on PTAT for Fox only, even though I don't have satellite locals. Well, it's recording everything on prime time Fox via OTA which was a big surprise. Also, I see no red Kangaroo icon anywhere, nor do I see any commercials skipped. Am I not waiting long enough?

I have the dual-tuner. I wonder if you could turn on PTAT on 2 channels and have it work?

Fox has a seven day delay for Autohop.

This discussion has brought up a question. Do any of your with OTA tuners and dropped locals package use Alexa voice control? I ask because right, if I say "Alexa, tune to Ch 13", it will go to the sat channel, not the OTA. Curious if, without the Sat channel alternative, it will go to the OTA?

What do you mean by "Alexa, tune to Ch 13", it will go to the sat channel, not the OTA"? Do you have two Ch13, one on Sat and one on OTA?

It works for me without any problems, Alexa tunes to any OTA channels I tell her.

Reactions: TheKrell
This discussion has brought up a question. Do any of your with OTA tuners and dropped locals package use Alexa voice control? I ask because right, if I say "Alexa, tune to Ch 13", it will go to the sat channel, not the OTA. Curious if, without the Sat channel alternative, it will go to the OTA?

If I understand the question you're asking if it will skip the Dish channel that you no longer subscribe to and go the OTA instead? I've been wondering the same thing but with button pushes , not voice. For my local ch. 3 I like to just press 3 and it goes there. If i drop the Dish locals will it go to 3.1 instead? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I've sometimes pressed a channel number that I didn't subscribe to and it jumped to the next closest channel so I would think the same would happen with OTA channels.

Sorry, long educated guess answer. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows for sure.