Did I just get screwed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vhinrich

Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Chicago
Here's the deal:

First, I don't know anything about satellites or satellite equipments.

I found this guy on craigslist that said I would get free international programming by DirectTV (he said it was Free to air) if I paid him $300.

So my stupid/idiot/dumba** agreed to the deal. He came over and installed an international satellite dish and a receiver, both by DirectTV.

After installing, he made a phone call to someone who "programmed" the receiver so I would receive the international channels. All the international channels were working so I gave him $300 and he left.

Then the same night, I turned the receiver off before I went to sleep. I woke up in the morning and turned the receiver on: "Satellite searching for signal". No picture, no guide, nothing. It was like the receiver was never programmed.

I called the jacka** but he isn't picking up his phone or returning my phone calls. so my question is: Did he just rip me off? I already spent $300 on the dish, which is worthless if I don't get anything. What can I do now? Is there anyway to get the programming back on?

Here's the deal:

First, I don't know anything about satellites or satellite equipments.

I found this guy on craigslist that said I would get free international programming by DirectTV (he said it was Free to air) if I paid him $300.

So my stupid/idiot/dumba** agreed to the deal. He came over and installed an international satellite dish and a receiver, both by DirectTV.

After installing, he made a phone call to someone who "programmed" the receiver so I would receive the international channels. All the international channels were working so I gave him $300 and he left.

Then the same night, I turned the receiver off before I went to sleep. I woke up in the morning and turned the receiver on: "Satellite searching for signal". No picture, no guide, nothing. It was like the receiver was never programmed.

I called the jacka** but he isn't picking up his phone or returning my phone calls. so my question is: Did he just rip me off? I already spent $300 on the dish, which is worthless if I don't get anything. What can I do now? Is there anyway to get the programming back on?

Call Directv and open an account.

You are going to pay them for the service. You paid $300.00 for an installation.

You now have a receiver you neither own nor lease. The dish may well be tuned for the International Programing ...72 degrees west, I think. You can probably have the dish.

See what they can do....you get to decide how much to tell them about your Craig"s list deal. Theft of services is a bigger deal every day.

Joe

What are bridges? You'll have to explain that. I'm not really familiar with any of the satellite "lingo".

Really? :confused: A bridge goes from one side of a river to the other.

In otherwords, you got screwed, taken, bamboozled, hoodwinked, ripped off, etc.

If it says searching for signal then that should have nothing to do with what the receiver's programming should receive. It would not say that message but rather say a message that states that you need to subscribe to programming with a phone number.

If it says searching for signal then that should have nothing to do with what the receiver's programming should receive. It would not say that message but rather say a message that states that you need to subscribe to programming with a phone number.

you see, when he first turned the receiver on after installing the dish, the same screen came up. Then he called someone to "program" the dish/receiver. After that phone call and half an hour of wait, the programming was coming on.

He told me that he was having difficulty getting international programming because i didn't have american programming subscribed. I think then he installed something called LNB for american programming (free HBO, Pay-per-view, etc.) after he installed that, the international program started. but before he left, he took that LNB thing off for the american programming so I could only get international programming, no american.

How did you find this "guy" if you thought you were going to get Directv forever for $300 then you knowingly commited fraud and I think you got just what you deserved!
if this was a "legal" upgrade from Directv then give them a call

Sorry I just re-read your original post
Have a friend call him asking for the same thing (different phone number)
When he shows up beat him rob him and toss him in the river

Yea tell me about it, an expensive lesson. So all the things he told me (LNB for american channels, etc) was crap? What am I suppose to do with the dish and the receiver?

I'm not even going to begin offering advice my man. I'm sure one of these fine gentlemen on here can answer your questions about this or point you in the right direction.

It totally sucks you got screwed, and people our there take advantange of other people every day like this, but Damn

How did you find this "guy" if you thought you were going to get Directv forever for $300 then you knowingly commited fraud and I think you got just what you deserved!
if this was a "legal" upgrade from Directv then give them a call

Sorry I just re-read your original post
Have a friend call him asking for the same thing (different phone number)
When he shows up beat him rob him and toss him in the river

I really wouldn't take Fed-Up's last piece of advice if i were you.....:D

If Signal Integrity at Direct is anything like it is at Dish, from what I have read on this site, they won't do a dang thing.

vhinrich;2079327What am I suppose to do with the dish and the receiver?[/QUOTE said:
Well, if you you could find the guy, I'll bet a lot of us could suggest what to do with that dish and receiver. Seriously, sorry you got stung.

Your best bet now is to call it an expensive lesson learned and move on. If you want a FTA setup for international programming give one of the sites sponsor's a call and get legal FTA setup. Sadoun would be more than willing to set you up with a system that will get you many legal FTA stations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)