Did I just get screwed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Your best bet now is to call it an expensive lesson learned and move on. If you want a FTA setup for international programming give one of the sites sponsor's a call and get legal FTA setup. Sadoun would be more than willing to set you up with a system that will get you many legal FTA stations.

What is the benefit of FTA? I am a super noob to that, but am considering looking into it.

What do I need? What can I get from it?

Could there be alignment or signal issue?

When I go into signal strength, this is what I get:

Satellite: 101 (A)
Satellite transponders (32 total at 101): 1-32, all have 0 signal

But when I change it to 95, this is what I get:

Satellite: 95 (D)
Satellite transponders (7 total at 95): for the seven transponders, lowest signal is 66 and highest is 87.

Do you think it's an alignment issue? The original setup is set at 101 so even if I change it 95, it doesn't save it.

Sat system

Dude - YOU GOT SCREWED !!!!! Now, pay attention !!!! You got EXACTLY what you deserve for buying a DirecTV system from an unauthorized source and expecting to get their services for free. Your alignment has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your not getting a signal !! You're NOT going to get ANYTHING out of this system unless you call DirecTV and tell them exactly what you did and see if they can set you up !! The programming card in the receiver is USELESS unless it's been authorized by DirecTV. You have 2 and ONLY 2 options - (1) Throw the system away - it's USELESS as it is !! - OR - (2) Call the good people at DirecTV and see if they will authorize the system and set you up with a program package - of course you'll have to pay the monthly fee for this. :rolleyes:

Could there be alignment or signal issue?

When I go into signal strength, this is what I get:

Satellite: 101 (A)
Satellite transponders (32 total at 101): 1-32, all have 0 signal

But when I change it to 95, this is what I get:

Satellite: 95 (D)
Satellite transponders (7 total at 95): for the seven transponders, lowest signal is 66 and highest is 87.

Do you think it's an alignment issue? The original setup is set at 101 so even if I change it 95, it doesn't save it.

It could be, but the bottom line is, DirecTV charges for international programming. They don't give anything away for free.

Whatever he did for you is fraud, actually plain old theft. Quit messing with it. Do as Stone Cold said, email signal security.

You need to call the signial integrity team at DirecTV and report the guy that sold you this.

What he did is illegal, and be gald you realized now that you were screwed before you used it for some time and went through this.

DirecTV will probably set you up for an install and quote you prices of the real programming, IT IS NOT FREE. You will need a DirecTV receiver and a new access card, they will not use whatever the guy sold you.

Sorry for your luck. If you have any information on the seller you could pursue him for your $300, but being cash and craiglist, I'd say just accept the lesson and move on.

We don't allow discussion of illegal programming / theft of service, so given the OP began asking about making his current rip of a setup work I decided to close the thread.

Op: Even if it is mis-aligned, it won't work for long. Accept the lesson, do the right thing, call DirecTV and alert them to the theif that took you - and them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)