Did I Screw Up?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I bought a used Fortec on E-Bay. Found out it had hack software on it. I did a factory reset, and loaded factory software on the box. Here is where the problem starts.

The remote stopped working. I didn't know what in the world was wrong, but, I then bought a Fortec Ultra remote from Glorystar. Once I received it, everything worked.

However, I forgot to do a factory reset AFTER I upgraded to the factory firmware!

Everything seems to be working great. In fact, all of my signal levels are much higher now that I have factory firmware on the box.

Will not doing a factory reset after installing new firmware mess anything up?

Thanks!

What version of factory firmware did you end up using? I bought a Ultra off ebay a while back and haven't had the time to get rid of the hacker firmware on it yet.

What version of factory firmware did you end up using? I bought a Ultra off ebay a while back and haven't had the time to get rid of the hacker firmware on it yet.

I downloaded 2.72 from the Fortec site. In my opinion, it works much better than the hack did. I don't know what hack version was on there because since I didn't load it, I only used what was there until I could get the right version on there.

Glen4Cindy,

What type of background did you have with the old firmware? I have a lightning background, and am having a heck of a time loading the factory bin onto my Ultra. It downloads to the box, I do a factory reset, but it will not change to the factory firmware on a reboot.

Does anyone know if I need to flash a new boot rom to the box or am I doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated, as I would like to get this box back to factory.

just check the software version in the menu options. If it shows the same software version as what you loaded, then all is good :)

Thanks Ice, its still showing the old hacker version. I've read somewhere that some boxes (I think Coolsats??) require a 'cleaner' rom in order to go back to factory settings. Do you know if Fortecs do or not?

Glen4Cindy,

What type of background did you have with the old firmware? I have a lightning background, and am having a heck of a time loading the factory bin onto my Ultra. It downloads to the box, I do a factory reset, but it will not change to the factory firmware on a reboot.

Does anyone know if I need to flash a new boot rom to the box or am I doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated, as I would like to get this box back to factory.

Yes, I had a lightning background too. I used the factory loader and the 272 file. I choose Flash ROM file option then Download. It took like 10 minutes or so to go to the box. When it was done, the box powered down for a few seconds then powered up.

One problem you might run into is with the remote. My remote stopped working after I did the factory update. The remote that came with my box was actually a Pansat remote! I had to buy a FortecStar remote. Got it from Glorystar. So, if you have the plain grey remote without the fortec logo, you might have a Pansat remote.

The fortec background is blue with white clouds.

Thanks will give that a try tonight. I have the Fortec Star remote, so hopefully it will still work afterwards.

I've been noticing some real issues with signal quality on certain sats, but my other reciever has no problems with them, so want to get rid of this hack software and hopefully it will take care of that.

Thanks Ice, its still showing the old hacker version. I've read somewhere that some boxes (I think Coolsats??) require a 'cleaner' rom in order to go back to factory settings. Do you know if Fortecs do or not?

Coolsat 8000 needs a "clean" option because you can't go backwards on software. Coolsat 4/5/6000 you can. I've gone from version 1.10 back to 1.00 (just to see what an old hacker version of software would do)

If it accepts the "new" software right away, then it should work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.