Did I waste my $$$$ on a ASL-1 and a PI-21?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimmooney

Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I'm hoping to get HD signals into my H21, with a "SL3 SlimLine Four Out Ka/Ku LNB (SL3)". Alignment is the big challenge, and frequent activity (it's in an RV). With this SL3 going into the ASL-1, I plan to align using the ASL-1, powered by a PI-21, and then, using a "cheapie" signal meter ($20). I undestand I max the signal from the ASL-1 101 sat; then change to the ASL-1 119 sat, and max it. But does this LNB have a 119 output? I assume I need the BBC connected to the H21. I know the mast has to be perfectly plumb. I hate the thought of having to buy a $$$$$ Bluebird, etc.; and "dithering" seems stone-age to me. Soooo, anyone have some step-by-step cookbook procedures for this setup?

You can peak the slimline just fine with a $20 cheapo meter, the SL3 does not see the 119, the ASL-1 and PI are for SWiM LNB's which you did not buy. Yes your STB needs a BBC

Find a reference to the azimuth for the 101
Set your Elevation and Skew according to the screen
Aim the AZ-EL mount sides to that point
Course tune the 101 in
Fine Tune the 101
Check the signal on screen for 103c/99c (89+ is what your going for)

Yes, you did waste your $$$.

Use the dither method (see the videos at solidsignal.com) to center the dish on 101 for both AZ and EL, rather than merely peaking the signal.

Once you get 101 close enough that there is some signal on 103c and 99c, you may want to fine tune on those (using the on-screen signal strength display, since the cheap meters won't see those satellites).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)