Did u hear on news about merger

I think they would be willing to switch to Dish, but there are other issues with that. The EA sats are directly out their front door, and I'm pretty sure my mom is going to nix any dishes in her flower beds.

What's wrong with a dish mounted on the back roof ? This is what I did.
I'm on western arc, but TheKrell brings up a perfect point. My satellites are directly out my front door. My dish is secured to my chimney (Yes Mr. Haller, for over 20 years! :)) that is toward the rear of my house and can't be easily seen from the street.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 204
It will be with the advent of satellite broadband.

I most certainly do not swear that chupacabra exists! :p I have bad news for the bigfoot believers as well. Some hair supposedly from a bigfoot turned out to be from a deer.

What's wrong with a dish mounted on the back roof ? This is what I did.

The roof is tin and about 100 years old.

AT&T is stuck . Sure, they probably would like to spin it off . But, they paid 49? billion for Directv and are a long way from writing off what is a major loss.
They can carry it on the books for a long time and not have to take a hit by recognizing the bad mistake they made when doing the deal.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
AT&T is stuck . Sure, they probably would like to spin it off . But, they paid 49? billion for Directv and are a long way from writing off what is a major loss.
They can carry it on the books for a long time and not have to take a hit by recognizing the bad mistake they made when doing the deal.

Per GAAP, if DirecTV has lost significant value compared to what AT&T paid for it, AT&T needs to record that negative goodwill impairment on their balance sheet, which will hurt their earnings per share and net income. Impairment calculations have to happen every year, so it will continue to hurt them if they do nothing. Whether it hurts them more than selling for less than they paid is the billion dollar question.

I failed to say what I meant. :( I think installers can use an eaves or soffit or fascia mount and avoid penetrating the tin roof.

It is a 200+ year old house, which really isn't built like stuff from the last 100 years.

I am going to see if they are interested in switching to Dish. They'd have to get the AT250 to get all most of their channels, so I'm not sure how much money they would save.

It might be a little too soon to get excited about Starlink. I calculated that if all 12000 satellites are in place it only allows for 8 million viewers to watch 4K at any one time. Since those won't be in place until the mid 2020s, 8K TVs will be mainsteam by then (available now for $$$)

Providers need not run for the hills yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: navychop
It might be a little too soon to get excited about Starlink. I calculated that if all 12000 satellites are in place it only allows for 8 million viewers to watch 4K at any one time. Since those won't be in place until the mid 2020s, 8K TVs will be mainsteam by then (available now for $$$)

Providers need not run for the hills yet.

8K TVs MIGHT be mainstream by the mid 2020s but I would wager dollars-to-donuts that 8K streaming will NOT be mainstream. You might see some sporting events and select cultural events in 8K but mainstream? I think not. We have to get to routine 4K streaming first, or do you expect to just skip that step? Content is king and 8K content is nowhere to be found.

8K TVs MIGHT be mainstream by the mid 2020s but I would wager dollars-to-donuts that 8K streaming will NOT be mainstream. You might see some sporting events and select cultural events in 8K but mainstream? I think not. We have to get to routine 4K streaming first, or do you expect to just skip that step? Content is king and 8K content is nowhere to be found.
8K was an after thought. But will 4k even be mainstream by 2024? There are a lot of 4k set selling in spite of meager content.

Another thought is that Dish+DirecTV satellites together could have the bandwidth to provide more 4k. Problem is, what 4k feeds do they get from subs. There is more than one bottleneck.

Reactions: joewhite57

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)