Did u hear on news about merger

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Move DirecTV channels to dish Network like the missing high definition channels and DirecTV 4k programming up the 4k channels on dish from 3 to 5 just a great idea

Directv move with dish right now or still dish had to buy it from DirectTV what about hbo and Cinemax they will come back too?? Put together with dish and DirectTV ??

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Directv move with dish right now or still dish had to buy it from DirectTV what about hbo and Cinemax they will come back too?? Put together with dish and DirectTV ??

You getting waaaaaaaay ahead of things. There may not even be an HBO if/when they may/may not merge... :)

Reactions: JSheridan
Still another person who thinks broadband is universal - it isn't and that's been discussed numerous times here. Yes, you can stream everything Dish has now on Sling TV - if you have access to broadband. Satellite TV is changing but it is not dying. You're going to see a lot of consolidation of packages and paring of a whole lot of the garbage channels that the vast majority of viewers have no interest in. Do I think there will be a merger? Depends on whether AT&T is dumb enough to completely run DTV into the ground until there is no value left. Frankly, if I were Dish, that's what I would wish for. Much easier and cheaper to add on disgruntled DTV ex-customers as new customers than take over responsibility for all the DTV infrastructure and contracts and then have to deal with conversion of the DTV system over to the Dish system.

I don't understand this thinking that if DISH and DTV were to merge that they would be crazy enough to sink a ton of money on converting all existing customers over to the same delivery platform. WHY?! If DISH acquired DTV, that doesn't mean the DTV satellites would fall out of the sky. They'd just take over the uplink to those satellites and feed their own signals and channel packages through them. For all new subscribers, sure, they'd probably standardize on one set of satellites or the other. And maybe any new and replacement receivers sent out would be Hoppers (bye-bye Genie), although they might have to come up with a slightly different version of Hopper hardware to work with the DTV dishes and other installed hardware.

Despite having to maintain a separate legacy delivery platform/fleet of sats, the combined company would still realize efficiencies from combined billing, installation, and customer support. And, more importantly, by having a larger subscriber base, they could command better pricing when negotiating carriage contracts with the cable networks. But the biggest advantage the combined company would have would come from the fact that, for the "captive audience" for satellite TV -- those rural dwellers with no other options -- they wouldn't have any real competitors, so they wouldn't need to compete on price any more. You guys realize that both DISH and DTV would charge even more if they didn't have to worry about customers choosing the other one instead, right?

FWIW: I just tried Sling, and you can definitely not get everything on it that you can get on Dish or DirecTV, at least not at the moment. The potential is there though.

My parents are sick of the high prices and equipment problems they've been having with DirecTV. They want to switch, but neither Dish, Spectrum, or OTT offer the channels they like to watch, so I am not sure what to tell them to do.

Try this website: Suppose... you could design your perfect TV service

I don't understand this thinking that if DISH and DTV were to merge that they would be crazy enough to sink a ton of money on converting all existing customers over to the same delivery platform. WHY?! If DISH acquired DTV, that doesn't mean the DTV satellites would fall out of the sky. They'd just take over the uplink to those satellites and feed their own signals and channel packages through them. For all new subscribers, sure, they'd probably standardize on one set of satellites or the other. And maybe any new and replacement receivers sent out would be Hoppers (bye-bye Genie), although they might have to come up with a slightly different version of Hopper hardware to work with the DTV dishes and other installed hardware.

Despite having to maintain a separate legacy delivery platform/fleet of sats, the combined company would still realize efficiencies from combined billing, installation, and customer support. And, more importantly, by having a larger subscriber base, they could command better pricing when negotiating carriage contracts with the cable networks. But the biggest advantage the combined company would have would come from the fact that, for the "captive audience" for satellite TV -- those rural dwellers with no other options -- they wouldn't have any real competitors, so they wouldn't need to compete on price any more. You guys realize that both DISH and DTV would charge even more if they didn't have to worry about customers choosing the other one instead, right?

There are still millions and millions of customers who either have no access to high speed internet for streaming TV or have no interest in doing it. We install Dish and DirecTV every day in high density areas where high speed internet is available but the customers just want to watch TV and chose satellite. And no, they aren't all older folks, a lot of younger people just want to watch TV too.

To have no competition in the satellite business IMHO would be a huge mistake and very bad for a lot of reasons. Maybe in 10 or 20 years but not now or anytime soon.

There are still millions and millions of customers who either have no access to high speed internet for streaming TV or have no interest in doing it. We install Dish and DirecTV every day in high density areas where high speed internet is available but the customers just want to watch TV and chose satellite. And no, they aren't all older folks, a lot of younger people just want to watch TV too.

To have no competition in the satellite business IMHO would be a huge mistake and very bad for a lot of reasons. Maybe in 10 or 20 years but not now or anytime soon.

For those customers who have no other choice than satellite TV (because there's no cable or telco provider offering both broadband and TV service), then I'm sympathetic. If DTV and DISH were allowed to merge, I think the government should impose some sort of multi-year price controls.

For those who live in areas where other options are available -- cable TV, telco TV, plus all the substitutes via streaming such as YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling TV, not to mention indirect substitutes like Netflix, Prime Video, etc. -- I'm not worried about them. Free market competition is doing its job there.

There are still millions and millions of customers who either have no access to high speed internet for streaming TV or have no interest in doing it. We install Dish and DirecTV every day in high density areas where high speed internet is available but the customers just want to watch TV and chose satellite.

I have high speed internet 100/10 through Spectrum. I could certainly reduce my bill by bundling internet, cable, and phone through Spectrum. But I have seen what Spectrum's DVR is like since my sons both had it. The Dish Hopper 3 is light years ahead. Plus I have 3 hard drives of archived movies and specials. Plus both my sons use Dish Anywhere to view content on my two Hopper 3 receivers. Dish Anywhere is also a huge improvement over Time Warner/Spectrum "TV Anywhere". So count me as one who has no interest in changing from Dish.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

You don't understand how 5g will change things...old copper landlines will be discontinued..replaced by a wireless connection from the pole...old customers will still have traditional landlines except they will have an antenna on their roof instead of a dropline...ALL customers will be eventually converted over

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

You don't understand how 5g will change things...old copper landlines will be discontinued..replaced by a wireless connection from the pole...old customers will still have traditional landlines except they will have an antenna on their roof instead of a dropline...ALL customers will be eventually converted over

Well, maybe. When I was at Nortel and they were working on 3G, we were promised similar things. I'l believe it when I see it. ;)

Well, maybe. When I was at Nortel and they were working on 3G, we were promised similar things. I'l believe it when I see it. ;)
And 4G.

I'll occasionally get in locations where my phone drops from 4g to 1G. Do I think 5G will EVENTUALLY have coverage everywhere it needs to be? Sure. But anyone laying claim to a timeline probably also has a bridge to sell.

Reactions: JSheridan
Yeah, as I surmised, Dish AT 250 would be the closest to what they have now. Looks like Dish wants them to get a Hopper Duo/Joey for 2 TVs. I assume there is an uncharge to get a Hopper3?

Yep. The Duo only has 2 tuners. The Hopper 3 has --?-- several. I think adding the Hopper to the account adds another $15. Someone will correct me if that's wrong, hopefully.

Like was said before, I'll believe it when I see it.

One big problem with switching to cable or another sat service is that the channels that I watch are in higher priced packages than I pay Dish. Each service sets their packages differently. I looked at Direct and Co:mad:my local cable company). I could not find any package that had the channels that I watch that were not in a higher priced package than I was paying with Dish. So, each person should compare packages and prices, before switching services.

The Hopper 3 has 16 satellite tuners. They can actually receive more, but that gets complicated for the audience.

If you go with a Duo, you may get complaints about being unable to record and watch what they want. You’ll never get that with an H3. It may cost a little more per month, but not $15.

Upfront cost- that’s negotiable. I’d expect you can get it for free.

Spectrum for DTV. I suspect it’s a bit late for that.

I also think I’ll hold off signing any two year contract.

The Hopper 3 has 16 satellite tuners. They can actually receive more, but that gets complicated for the audience.

If you go with a Duo, you may get complaints about being unable to record and watch what they want. You’ll never get that with an H3. It may cost a little more per month, but not $15.

Upfront cost- that’s negotiable. I’d expect you can get it for free.

OK, just rechecked it on Dish.com. The standard pricing for new customers is a $10/mo DVR fee for the Hopper 3 (or 2) vs. $5/mo for the Hopper Duo. Either way, you add $5/mo for each Joey on additional TVs. The fine print seems to indicate that if you put a Hopper on a secondary TV, the price for that is $15/mo, which I think is what I was recalling before when I quoted the $15 figure.

They've got the online sign-up configuration set so that it will only offer you a Hopper Duo if you're getting service for 1 or 2 TVs. If 3 or more, you can get a Hopper 2 or 3, with the specific model seeming to be based on a combination of your credit level and the number of TVs getting service.

For just $5 more per month, I'd definitely want a Hopper 2 or 3 versus the gimpy Hopper Duo. But I guess you have to call in to get one if you only need service on 1 or 2 TVs.

Reactions: ncted
They’re used to the 5 tuners they have now with the Genie which replaced two TWC DVRs. They’d probably be fine with a HWS if it has the SNAP, although my mom would love the sports bar mode if she could figure out how to use it. She’d have to get a UHD tv as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)