Did u hear on news about merger

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It wouldn't be bad if a service became known to be primarily 4k. Could dish+DirecTV do that?

OTA 4K is a non-starter and will require upgrading. Broadcasters might be more apt to send a satellite feed.

I don't have 4k myself and I didn't know content was so meager. This is a market niche which needs to be filled. Virtually no one advertises it as a service because not much exists. Yet 4k sets are all the rage. It's the beginning of HD all over again.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

4k sets are all the rage

I briefly had a 4K set and was so unimpressed that I returned it and bought a 55" 1080p for $250. The upscaling of lower-res HD content (which is 98% of what is still being broadcast) was horrific.

IMHO 4K is largely a vehicle to sell more expensive TV's. Same with 8K. Bunch of BS if you ask me. How much detail can the human eye even see?

Like my wise father says, "You're either going to keep your money or give it to somebody else. Which do you prefer?"

Nope...uts called 5g

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Who do you think provides the fiber backhaul to a good portion of cell phone towers for LTE and this mythological 5G?

As long as the sheeple of this country are mindlessly addicted to their smartphones and consume cellular data, whether mobile or fixed, the cable companies have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I don’t see much demand for “4K.” Most folks won’t notice any difference. Some of us will pay to see UHD + HDR. Some.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Thanks for Interesting insights from the field.

Whenever I see them at the store, I notice they have the 4K sets 2 feet away. They have them at the end of the isle to force you to stand that close. One review I saw said that home disappointment was common.

One store used to have a "living room" set up. This was years ago. I don't see anyone doing that now.

HDR coloring might be a plus. But how much of that is available?

My eagerness for 4k is waning.

Well, it is a mixed bag. Here are their must-haves in order of importance.

For my dad, who is a news junkie:
OANN
Fox News
The Weather Channel
CNN
MSNBC
Big 6 Broadcast networks
Would like BBC World News

For my mom, who likes sports and classic TV:
ESPNs (all)
FS1, FS2
NFL Channel
TVLAND
LOGO
PBS
HALLMARK
FETV
She would really like to get MeTV and AntennaTV, which she currently does not get.

I can't find a channel package from a competitor that fits the bill, and doing multiple OTT is not really an option. They are quite old now, and aren't up for switching apps all the time.

With Charter most of that can be achieved, although they don’t carry One America News or FETV. ME TV and Antenna TV should be carried if there are local affiliates. I get both of them. The national HD feed of Hero’s and Icons TV, which contains some classic TV as well is available.

Spectrum Select for $65 includes
Fox News, The Weather Channel, CNN, MSNBC, all locals, local digital subchannels, ESPN, ESPN 2, SEC Network, SEC Network Alt, FS1, TV Land, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and all regional sports networks.

Digi Tier 1 for $12 extra includes
BBC World News, ESPNEWS. NFL Network, ESPN U, FS2, ESPN Deportes

Digi Tier 2 for $12 extra includes
Logo, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, ESPN Classic, ESPN GL/BB, All 8 ESPN College Extra channels

Digi Tier 1 has more general entertainment channels, Digi tier 2 is more sports focused.

Add $12 for the Broadcast TV fee, $7.50 for each STB, and $13 for one DVR, or $20 for up to four. Subtract $6 if bundled with internet.

Reactions: ncted
One review I saw said that home disappointment was common.

Stores are feeding those display TV's a true 4K resolution (3840x2160) so of course it's going to look good. The problem is in the upscaling of lower resolution feeds, which is the bulk of current programming. So the customer sees a true 4K resolution in the store (OMG!!!!!) then they get home and connect that same TV to a 1080 source (1920x1080) and they get let down.

During my brief 4K experimentation, I connected a PC with a GPU capable of 3840x2160 and the picture looked good, but the tradeoff was that the windows and icons were all too small to see from a distance. And Windows 10 isn't sophisticated enough yet to upscale icons such that they don't become blurry.

And that's because cellular towers operate on magic, rainbows and unicorn farts.

Reminds me of my bosses boss, who I ultimately answer to who said no to upgrading our fiber connection at work from 25 Mb to 50 Mb because 'shortly the "G5's" are going to make fiber obsolete'. It kinda sucks to work for someone who feels cellular is better than enterprise grade DIA fiber. People who know nothing about IT, should not be in charge of IT. Lucky the rural village I work in will probably never see the "G5's".

As for upgrading the backhaul, when I was talking to a Spectrum Enterprise engineer, cell towers are fed with 1 Gbps symmetrical fiber connections in my area. That was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it's still true or if it's faster now. They offer fiber at speeds of up to 10 Gbps symmetrical. In theory I would think for more backhaul bandwidth all a cell provider would have to do is contact the backhaul provider and have them re-provision the fiber circuit. If more then 10 Gbps is needed I suppose another fiber circuit can be ran and bonded to the existing one. Once the fiber is ran to the cell site, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to increase the bandwidth as needed.

And that's because cellular towers operate on magic, rainbows and unicorn farts.

The Verizon tower in my back yard is fed 50/50 mbps (yes, I said mbps) symmetrical via copper from Consolidated Communications. We have a LONG way to go before "5G" ever arrives in this town! It grinds to a halt around 8 PM every evening.

Reactions: TheKrell
5g has nothing to do with that tower...I can tell you that much...perhaps what they call 6g will use it
The Verizon tower in my back yard is fed 50/50 mbps (yes, I said mbps) symmetrical via copper from Consolidated Communications. We have a LONG way to go before "5G" ever arrives in this town! It grinds to a halt around 8 PM every evening.

Stores are feeding those display TV's a true 4K resolution (3840x2160) so of course it's going to look good. The problem is in the upscaling of lower resolution feeds, which is the bulk of current programming. So the customer sees a true 4K resolution in the store (OMG!!!!!) then they get home and connect that same TV to a 1080 source (1920x1080) and they get let down.

During my brief 4K experimentation, I connected a PC with a GPU capable of 3840x2160 and the picture looked good, but the tradeoff was that the windows and icons were all too small to see from a distance. And Windows 10 isn't sophisticated enough yet to upscale icons such that they don't become blurry.
Imagine trying to upscale to 8k. I studied various upscale algorithms for my graduate work in the 80s such as Fourier Tranform and Bilinear.

Today Neural networks can do a better job. Samsung is discussing "AI" as their next enhancement. But what are talking here? Taking your DVD and magnifying it by a factor of 4 or 8 times? As opposed to 1.5 times for HD. If it works they'll show it to me at the store. That could be a while.
732426795c54800530ba6bbc7535562f.jpg

5g has nothing to do with that tower...I can tell you that much...perhaps what they call 6g will use it

Juan, what I'm saying is, Verizon has to buy backhaul for 5G from SOMEWHERE. Who is going to provide it? Consolidated sure isn't. And they're the only backbone in this town.

Reactions: TheKrell
I briefly had a 4K set and was so unimpressed that I returned it and bought a 55" 1080p for $250. The upscaling of lower-res HD content (which is 98% of what is still being broadcast) was horrific.

If you're someone who still watches lots of overly compressed cable TV, yeah, a 4K set doesn't do a lot for you. If you're someone who streams most or all of the content you watch from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc., then 4K HDR blows away what you're seeing on your 1080p TV from DISH. I know. I stream lots of stuff in 4K HDR on my LG OLED TV. And then I visit my parents who have a 1080p plasma TV with DISH. It's not like it's horrible but I MUCH prefer watching TV at my house!

If you're someone who still watches lots of overly compressed cable TV, yeah, a 4K set doesn't do a lot for you. If you're someone who streams most or all of the content you watch from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc., then 4K HDR blows away what you're seeing on your 1080p TV from DISH. I know. I stream lots of stuff in 4K HDR on my LG OLED TV. And then I visit my parents who have a 1080p plasma TV with DISH. It's not like it's horrible but I MUCH prefer watching TV at my house!

Most of my content comes from "uncompressed" OTA, FTA, and my vast blu-ray collection, which is all mostly 1080. So no, a 4K set does nothing for me. Ever tried watching a DVD on a 4K set? Woof. PS- I no longer have Dish.

Imagine trying to upscale to 8k. I studied various upscale algorithms for my graduate work in the 80s such as Fourier Tranform and Bilinear.

Today Neural networks can do a better job. Samsung is discussing "AI" as their next enhancement. But what are talking here? Taking your DVD and magnifying it by a factor of 4 or 8 times? As opposed to 1.5 times for HD. If it works they'll show it to me at the store. That could be a while.

Yeah, AI is learning to do things with images that are pretty amazing. It's about how to add new visual information to a low-res image that was never there in the first place, to create a much sharper higher-resolution image. Along with, of course, correcting unsightly things about the original image, such as noise and compression artifacts. Those advancements are the things that are new differentiators in the highest-end TVs from LG, Sony and Samsung.

BTW, check this out: Neural network image super-resolution and enhancement

Most of my content comes from "uncompressed" OTA, FTA, and my vast blu-ray collection, which is all mostly 1080. So no, a 4K set does nothing for me. Ever tried watching a DVD on a 4K set? Woof. PS- I no longer have Dish.

Yeah, I've very rarely watched a DVD on my LG 4K OLED. No better or worse, really, than they looked on the Samsung 1080p LCD I had before it. But then who wants to watch SD anyhow?

Reactions: CyberSpock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts