Did u hear on news about merger

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My 70" Sony UHD TV looks great with a UHD source like Amazon Prime originals such as Good Omens. For 1080i/720p sources it looks good, but honestly, not as good as my dearly departed 64" 1080p Samsung Plasma which I couldn't get fixed when it broke.

Yeah, AI is learning to do things with images that are pretty amazing. It's about how to add new visual information to a low-res image that was never there in the first place, to create a much sharper higher-resolution image. Along with, of course, correcting unsightly things about the original image, such as noise and compression artifacts. Those advancements are the things that are new differentiators in the highest-end TVs from LG, Sony and Samsung.
Glad I've waited to buy. While it's true that there is 4K content over the web, I still watch enough network TV I wouldn't be satisfied with poor upscaling (and not having 4K satellite feeds which was my original touch point) This is an interesting development.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: comfortably_numb
But then who wants to watch SD anyhow?

There are some movies that were never released on blu-ray for whatever reason. A widescreen DVD of a favorite movie is still better than nothing at all.

VUDU and Google Play both have a lot of 1080 transfers of older movies that never made it to blu-ray, so sometimes I buy from them and stream.

There are some movies that were never released on blu-ray for whatever reason. A widescreen DVD of a favorite movie is still better than nothing at all.

VUDU has a lot of 1080 transfers of older movies that never made it to blu-ray, so sometimes I buy from them and stream.
This is true. There's a hell of a lot of content due for Bluray that's probably going to be a long wait if ever.

This is true. There's a hell of a lot of content due for Bluray that's probably going to be a long wait if ever.

Most of it will never happen. Discs are slowly dying. But most of that stuff will eventually show up on streaming services as the parent corporations of the major Hollywood studios roll out their own on-demand subscription streaming services. We'll see old 20th Century Fox films on Hulu, old Disney films on Disney+, old Warner Bros. films on HBO Max, old Paramount films on whatever behemoth it's eventually part of (CBS+Showtime+Starz+Viacom+?), etc.

Reactions: CyberSpock
Discs are slowly dying

With the help of great members of this forum like primestar31 I have transferred most of my blu-ray and DVD library to a 2 TB HDD. They're all in original, uncompressed quality (most upwards of 40 Gb). This is to preserve them, but also so I can easily choose between them and view easily anywhere on my network. Beats having to get up off the couch every time I want to change a movie :popcorn

Glad I've waited to buy. While it's true that there is 4K content over the web, I still watch enough network TV I wouldn't be satisfied with poor upscaling (and not having 4K satellite feeds which was my original touch point) This is an interesting development.

You just need to make sure you get a TV with a good video processor, so I'd recommend waiting until you are willing to pay a little extra for a good picture if that is important to you. I with they had made UHD Plasmas. LED sets are nice enough, but they have downsides when you go over a certain size.

Stores are feeding those display TV's a true 4K resolution (3840x2160) so of course it's going to look good. The problem is in the upscaling of lower resolution feeds, which is the bulk of current programming. So the customer sees a true 4K resolution in the store (OMG!!!!!) then they get home and connect that same TV to a 1080 source (1920x1080) and they get let down.

During my brief 4K experimentation, I connected a PC with a GPU capable of 3840x2160 and the picture looked good, but the tradeoff was that the windows and icons were all too small to see from a distance. And Windows 10 isn't sophisticated enough yet to upscale icons such that they don't become blurry.

First, a decent 4k TV does an excellent job of upscaling (my Samsun), even Dish's SD channels become watchable, even with zoom to fill the screen.. Second, I use a 24" 4k monitor with my Windows 10 computer, in the settings you can set it to 2x and it then transparently scales icons and programs to the same size and legibility as a 1080 monitor.

The future is wireless. I think LEO satellite technology will be how we get our internet, cell and tv service in the future. Waiting on starlink and other providers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The future is wireless. I think LEO satellite technology will be how we get our internet, cell and tv service in the future. Waiting on starlink and other providers.

Far from just me, but I said that long ago. No question wireless is the goal for communication. At some point the set-top box will be a receiver for wireless internet, TV, audio communication (Phone or more like Alexa) on Demand etc.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No, the future is pure telepathic. No phone in your hand, no computers, no tv set top box, in fact no tv. All communication, whether it be functional or purely entertaining, will be from brain to brain. Judging from some of the posts on satguys, it could get very challenging. :)

You have no idea how close you are to their ultimate goal
No, the future is pure telepathic. No phone in your hand, no computers, no tv set top box, in fact no tv. All communication, whether it be functional or purely entertaining, will be from brain to brain. Judging from some of the posts on satguys, it could get very challenging. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Tampa8

The future of the "last mile" might be wireless but the bulk of the traffic will travel via some form of cable, whether fiber or copper. This is due to physics and the ultimate limitations of having to share wireless bandwidth with various applications. The whole starlink and LEO satellite solutions always seem to run into sever limitations on the uplink side, I don't think that I will be backing up my system to the cloud through a home satellite link anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts