Did you see that EAS Test?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JohnH

Godfather of the Uplink Reports
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
2 pm EDT today on about 12 of my 15 receivers. it said it was for Los Angeles County. Of course, I am a bit far east for that area. :) I do have Distant Nets west, though.

2 pm EDT today on about 12 of my 15 receivers. it said it was for Los Angeles County. Of course, I am a bit far east for that area. :) I do have Distant Nets west, though.
do you realize you are paying $70 per month in additional outlet fees?...15 receivers....Most small sports bars don't have that many....how can you watch 15 baseball games? Are your tv's all in one room?
Now, what was the EAS message? Was it an error indicating an actual emergency instead of a test.
Found this on wiki....[edit] False alarm of 1971
Despite these safeguards, the system was inadvertently activated at 9:33 AM EST on February 20, 1971. Teletype operator W. S. Eberhardt accidentally "played the wrong tape" during a test of the system.[3] As a result, an EBS activation message authenticated with the codeword "hatefulness" was sent through the entire system, ordering stations to cease regular programming and broadcast the alert of a national emergency. A cancellation message was sent at 9:59 AM EST; however, it used the same codeword again. A cancellation message with the correct codeword, "impish," was not sent until 10:13 AM EST.[4]

This false alarm demonstrated major flaws in the EBS system. Many stations had not received the alert, but more importantly, the vast majority of those that did ignored it, or did not know what to do during an emergency [5]. The only station in the country that shut down as mandated by FCC rules was WSNS-TV (Ch 44) in Chicago. Numerous investigations were launched, and several changes were made to the EBS. Among them, the on-air alert announcement was streamlined, eliminating language that warned the audience of an imminent attack against the country.

. Here's a good link....http://www.fcc.gov/eb/easfact.html.....
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I know how much my bill is. :)
I have been working on this system for nine years. Any of the receivers can be seen on any of the TVs. They are all series D or E receivers.

The EAS notification was from DIRECTV and was on "cable" channels. I did not take time to read it completely, but did notice the crawl said Los Angeles County. I was more interested in what channels/receivers were affected. It seemed to be most of them.

Yes, I know how much my bill is. :)
I have been working on this system for nine years. Any of the receivers can be seen on any of the TVs. They are all series D or E receivers.

The EAS notification was from DIRECTV and was on "cable" channels. I did not take time to read it completely, but did notice the crawl said Los Angeles County. I was more interested in what channels/receivers were affected. It seemed to be most of them.
so you have a sports bar style modulated system? where you can watch any satellite reciever on any of your tv's?....If so, very cool...how many antennas/switches?.....Do you have a central wiring panel? Or several? Sound system? Do you have a theatre room/ media room?

so you have a sports bar style modulated system? where you can watch any satellite reciever on any of your tv's?....If so, very cool...how many antennas/switches?.....Do you have a central wiring panel? Or several? Sound system? Do you have a theatre room/ media room?
I can on;y imagine what a sports bar system would include. I have never seen one. I do have modulators, mixers and amplifiers. I have 30" dish for 101 and 30" dish for 119 with Sat C taped to the side of the 119 LNBF. I do have a central panel but after that it is a mess to say the least. Only sound systems are contained in the TVs. I am converting to stereo a little at a time. I have an AT9 dish in the closet. I may install it someday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.