Difference between C band LNBF and C band offset LNBF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

adrian

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
How do one ascertain the difference if an offset is available.?On a KU offset dish what is the best way to determine the focal point of a C band LNBF.Thanks for any assistance.

The focal point is the same for Ku or C. With prime focus dishes, the F/D ratio is typically .30 to .45. With offset dishes, the F/D ratio is typically around .6. The feedhorn is optimized to match the F/D ratio of the dish. If you use a feedhorn optimized for an offset dish, like a DBS LNBF, for a prime focus dish, the LNB waveguide will reject signal coming from the perimeter region of the dish, whereas if you use a prime focus styled LNBF for an offset dish, the feedhorn will "see" a little more off-boresignt noise and develop a slightly inferior signal to noise ratio.

Thanks Antaltmike.I am using a Prodelin 1.2M VSAT offset dish with a F/D of .8
I am receiving KU pictures using a .3db feed.The problem comes when i try to receive C band feeds using 20 degree C band LNBF.The signal is there but i dont seem to lock in.Are C band offset LNBF,s available?

Last edited:
I am receiving KU pictures using a .3db feed.The problem comes when i try to receive C band feeds using 20 degree C band LNBF.The signal is there but i dont seem to lock in.Are C band offset LNBF,s available?
EVen if there are, I doubt that you would gain as much as 1dB of S/N ratio. The problem you face is, your dish is too small for reliable C-band reception under nearly all real world circumstances.

First, the Prodelin 1.2 VSAT has some serious C Band issues with that model - regardless of the fact it will probably never work.

Second, you need new spars for it and Prodelin sells them for about $180 on that model. I know - I looked into it.

FWIW, now I am thinking that the offset issue was why my Invacom Quad did not work well in that setup while the Dish lnb minus the plastic casing blew it away - even though it was the Prodelin assembly attached to the Invacom.

I had a prodelin 1.8M offset for about a year using a c band lnbf and it performed great on g10r.

I got strong signals but i had to make my own mount out of hardware store slotted steel for my lnbf since this thing had a hughes network radio and feedhorn on it when i got it.

I took it down and intalled my motorized sami mesh dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)