Differences between DBS Ku and FTA Ku?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Other than the obvious difference (DBS is pay tv), I am just curious what makes DBS work with a small dish like a 1000.2? Are DBS satellites higher powered?

Reactions: spongella
Yes they are! Plus they use higher frequencies (12.2-12.7) and they are always broadcasting at maximum capacity to make sure that all the customers get their tv delivered. Dbs is also affected by rain fade but it’s better now then it used to be in the late 90’s when it started.

Dbs is also affected by rain fade but it’s better now then it used to be in the late 90’s when it started.

Yes I would have to agree they have really improved the rain fade issues. Well, at least Dish Network has. I can’t speak for Direct.

I think it’s an incredible feat to cram hundreds of high quality HD channels onto a satellite that can be received with such a small dish!

Reactions: spongella
Yep, they use MUCH higher power than what you typically get on FTA. That is how they do it!
I wouldn't call it high quality HD though. ;)

What about 121? Isn’t that a Dish bird that uses regular Ku?
it is... While is it quite powerful it's definitely less powerful than the other dedicated DBS birds. That's why they had the slightly larger dishes like the "superdish" which is about 60cm. And Dish on 121W seems to be barely used these days, I think it's mostly for specialized services (where they might be able to still push for larger dishes compared to the average DN setup)

Dish on 121W seems to be barely used these days, I think it's mostly for specialized services (where they might be able to still push for larger dishes compared to the average DN setup)

Yeah, according to The List, there isn’t much at all on it

C82B4045-209F-43D6-8AC1-DA150652BDB0.png

Another difference is that FTA is often linear where DBS is typically circular polarity (or maybe that is changing).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)