Different ads on different boxes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ddggbb

Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Seattle
Tonight I saw something I've never seen before. I have two Directv boxes (and TVs) in two adjacent rooms. One is an HDDVR, the other just an HD receiver. I was watching the identical channel on both boxes. All of a sudden each TV was showing a totally different ad! When the ads ended, both boxes returned to the same show again. How can two HD boxes show different ads (apparently different signals) on the same channel from the same satellite. And why??

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

That's an odd one, I've never heard of it. Where the two boxes on broadcast channels from different locations?

I was watching Fox news (channel 360) on each box. Same channel, same HD signal, same antenna, same (I presume) satellite. Only thing different is one box is an HDDVR, the other just an HD receiver. System is one year old.

Do you remember what the ads were for? I'm in NYC area and over the past month I've noticed local commercials being planted "on top" of the normal national broadcast commercials on a wide variety of channels. They run 2 consecutively and then jump back to the national feed.

The local spots are noticable by the fact that most are in 4X3 and are basically cheaply produced commercials like what you would see on local access cable.

The reason I'd say that you saw it on only one box, if it was a local commercial like I mentioned, is because I think these spots are contained on the hard drive itself. I say this because when I attempt to watch a DVR'd show thru MRV in another room, the local commercials do not appear where they do when I play the same recording from the main room the unit is in.

Not many on here have mentioned getting these different commercials and I don't know why that is, maybe it's something they are only doing in large cities.. On my account about 2 months ago on directv.com I changed a setting which says " allow personal viewing data collection." Maybe this has something to do with it, I have no idea, but I enjoy seeing these local ads for their DIY quality.

Do you remember what the ads were for? I'm in NYC area and over the past month I've noticed local commercials being planted "on top" of the normal national broadcast commercials on a wide variety of channels. They run 2 consecutively and then jump back to the national feed.

The local spots are noticable by the fact that most are in 4X3 and are basically cheaply produced commercials like what you would see on local access cable.

The reason I'd say that you saw it on only one box, if it was a local commercial like I mentioned, is because I think these spots are contained on the hard drive itself. I say this because when I attempt to watch a DVR'd show thru MRV in another room, the local commercials do not appear where they do when I play the same recording from the main room the unit is in.

Not many on here have mentioned getting these different commercials and I don't know why that is, maybe it's something they are only doing in large cities.. On my account about 2 months ago on directv.com I changed a setting which says " allow personal viewing data collection." Maybe this has something to do with it, I have no idea, but I enjoy seeing these local ads for their DIY quality.

To answer the Bold question ....
The simple reason would be, How often do you have two recvrs on, on the SAME exact channel and listening to both at the same time ?

As for the different commercials on the same program, I have seen, but NOT from the same station.

Example, I see this often when Jay Leno is on, but the reason behind it is, in the main room I am watching the Local NBC from Toledo (D* delivered), while in the bedroom I am watching the feed from NBC out of Detroit (OTA).

However, this would not be the case with the OP's situation, provided he had the same channel on, both over Sat.

Thanks for the responses. The only one that makes sense is MikeFr's. I thought I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye which caught my attention. It might have been the DVR switching to the stored ad. Only one of these boxes (the DVR) has a hard drive. The tvs are placed one in the kitchen and the dvr in the adjacent family room. They are often tuned to the same channel if my wife and I are watching the same thing, and sometimes to different channels. As I said, this was Fox News, only one channel available (number 360 out here.) Interestingly, both ads were medicare related, but I didn't notice who they were advertising. Definitely different, however.

To answer the Bold question ....
The simple reason would be, How often do you have two recvrs on, on the SAME exact channel and listening to both at the same time ?

My question was really more of a comment on the fact that Directv is placing ads, beyond ones for their own PPV/packages, over the original broadcast ads and no one has really mentioned it here. Which was surprising to me since lots of minutia is discussed here regularly, so my point was maybe they aren't being placed on DVR's throughout the country and only in certain locations. Plus it was interesting to me because it's essentially a new income stream for Directv, however small it may be.

My question was really more of a comment on the fact that Directv is placing ads, beyond ones for their own PPV/packages, over the original broadcast ads and no one has really mentioned it here. Which was surprising to me since lots of minutia is discussed here regularly, so my point was maybe they aren't being placed on DVR's throughout the country and only in certain locations. Plus it was interesting to me because it's essentially a new income stream for Directv, however small it may be.

I really hadn't noticed this till it was brought up here.
Are you saying that D*m has Ads on the Hard Drives ?

What happens when you add an external HD when the original one is not being used ?
I would think IF this is happening, it would be on either, also, how are you determining which ads are being added ?

also, how are you determining which ads are being added ?

I can only speak about this question since I do not have an External HD. The first time I noticed it happening was on TBS during the MLB playoffs. The normal ads you'd see on TBS are for Geico and beer ads and whatever else you'd find available nationally. This time at the beginning of a match.com commercial a spot came up over it for a car service only available within the 5 boros of NYC. There was one more commerical after that, both appeared in the shrunken widescreen & very grainy.

Since that one occurance I've seen these local ads pop up on every channel I normally watch, locals, CNBC, CNN, regional sports. They always appear in groups of 2, at the end of the 2nd ad you see a jump back to whatever ad was playing nationally on the channel, sometimes the jumps back take place while a show has returned or during the middle of the regular spots.

I figure they are part of hard drive space since they are all low res, always appear in a set of 2, always are for something only of interest to people in my local area, and when watching a recording which contained these ads on another receiver in my MRV, the normal national ad shows up without any jump to the local spots taking place.

Also the issue ppl mentioned a few weeks back about being unable to 30Skip thru the D* Deion Sanders ads happens to these ads regularly, but not every time.

the national networks do set aside some commercial time for "local" commercials. No matter the platform (Dish, Directv, cable, Fios, etc) they all have them. They "hard cut" about a second after a commercial starts and is usually for the provider or a local ad (local to that persons address).

cable is real big on them
Directv and Dish usually use them for PPV previews or ironically a commercial for a program on another channel. I dont think when I'm watching A&E I'd see a commercial for Pawn Stars (which is on History) normally....at the end it usually says "Directv channel 269". they are NOT from the hard drive because I see them on my H23 which has no hard drive :)

That what I was starting to think it was, just local ads being put on the Major Channels.
I have no problem with them although I don't see too many commercials if I can help it.

Iceberg-- I agree that the ads for specific programs that reference the D* channel # are not hard drive based but I don't see how the local ads I'm referring to are the same.

Can you, or anyone, explain technically how when I watch a show from the DVR it was recorded on I see the 2 local ads pop in over the national feed in the same spot. Yet when I watch the same recording from a remote box thru MRV those 2 local ads never pop up in the spot they did in the main room, and the regular national commercial runs uninterrupted every time. Because to my understanding it just seems obvious in that case that it would be hdd-based.

Anyways, like I said previously, I like the local ads that pop up now, since they do give a cheap, cable tv feel amongst the rest of what I see, I just find it interesting that D* has seemingly started to do things differently with both their own ads and by adding these local spots in. It's only been a month or so that I've seen anyone on here bring up the fact that they can't 30Skip thru the Deion Sanders spots and with these local ads I usually have to FF thru them also. Plus in the 1+ year I've had Directv, I had not seen any Major Auto World / Brooklyn Bridge Park Condo commercials on CNN/FX etc., until the past month or so.

Last edited:
I dont have MRV to try and duplicate it

But I know if you watch or record the Weather channel and where the local on the 8's pop in if you go back (if watching live) it wont show up..just the national forecast...but I think that is more the receiver doing the overlay

Iceberg-- I agree that the ads for specific programs that reference the D* channel # are not hard drive based but I don't see how the local ads I'm referring to are the same.

Can you, or anyone, explain technically how when I watch a show from the DVR it was recorded on I see the 2 local ads pop in over the national feed in the same spot. Yet when I watch the same recording from a remote box thru MRV those 2 local ads never pop up in the spot they did in the main room, and the regular national commercial runs uninterrupted every time. Because to my understanding it just seems obvious in that case that it would be hdd-based.

Anyways, like I said previously, I like the local ads that pop up now, since they do give a cheap, cable tv feel amongst the rest of what I see, I just find it interesting that D* has seemingly started to do things differently with both their own ads and by adding these local spots in. It's only been a month or so that I've seen anyone on here bring up the fact that they can't 30Skip thru the Deion Sanders spots and with these local ads I usually have to FF thru them also. Plus in the 1+ year I've had Directv, I had not seen any Major Auto World / Brooklyn Bridge Park Condo commercials on CNN/FX etc., until the past month or so.

I could be wrong, but what he's describing seems to be something different.

I know all about the National feed cutting in to the local affliate and vice versa like Iceberg mentions. Mike, are you saying the "local spot" is displayed in the forefront while the National commerical plays in the background? If so, this is a different breed. It is especially weird this happened from the same location, same channel, etc.

Im not gonna speculate, but I do believe your situation and it's possible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)