Different output levels on different SW outputs

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I have a SW64 in legacy.

For the most part, its 148/110/119 in this switch. Some receivers have a SW21 on the output to take 61W or 129W as well.

148W is right on the threshold for me in the summer months with the dew point where it is. On a good day I will see a upper 50s to a 60 - and on most days the low 50s.

Somewhere around 44-45 on my STBs is where it goes to loss of signal - so I am right on the threshold when a rain storm blows by or dew point rises - or bird moves out of the box.

Overnight, I saw I had lost 148W T17 Sho-HD and assumed HBO-HD would be gone as well on the other STB as they share the same transponder. To my surprise, it was fine.

I went to the signal strength on all 3 of my Dish 6000s and found that while #1 and #3 had a 49 on T17, #2 had a 45.

So, I took the feed off my ViP211 and connected it up to #2. At this point, all 3 had the same reading - without #2 being lower than the others.

Thus, it clearly is not something going south in the 6000's reception.

That leaves only 3 possibilities - the cable - the SW21 or the output of the SW64.

I am sure I can get to the bottom of this, but I am curious if anyone has ever seen a drop in level like this from 1 output of a SW64?

Edit:

After swapping the SW21s between ports, the cable between ports, and the long run down to the inside of the house, it appears the finger (in more ways than one) still goes back to the SW64.

I notice that the signal seems to swing 5-6 points on this one output compared to typical 2-3 point swings on the other as well.

Again, anyone ever seen an issue like this on a SW64?

Last edited:
SimpleSimon said:
It's time to retire that old junk and bite the DPP44 bullet.

Ya, I know, it sucks, but it's time.

I can't. Toroidials dont take DP lnbs. and you can forget about 148W here without atleast a .9Meter Dish.

garys said:
DPP44 switch will work with DP dual, I had an sw64 switch that bit the dust and was able to swithout the lnb's and switch and kept the origanal sausers.

A Toroidal is not Dish or DP equipment.

HDTVFanAtic said:
I can't. Toroidials dont take DP lnbs. and you can forget about 148W here without atleast a .9Meter Dish.
Oh well, maybe you can find another SW64 that's good, but you're only delaying the inevitable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)