Digi-cipher receiver -- is it worth it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
Several years ago, I was interested in getting a Digi-cipher receiver and started this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/commercial-dcii-receivers.236474/

I never did get a DCII capable receiver, but am again thinking about it. The question is - is it worth it? Is there still some channels available in FP or ZK? If so, what receiver(s) are you using? I am not interested in subscribing to the Skyvision DC programming. I am merely interested from a hobbyist point of view.

That receiver is a doorstop no good anymore. Get yourself an amiko nano receiver with a vbox you will be happy. You can probably use that receiver as a dish mover but other than that it's no good and cannot decode channels like MPEG 2 and 4.

Let me add that I agree with Calmeidajr, but look for the Amiko Mini HD SE, as it is a better and updated receiver. :)

Maybe he is inquiring as to those scattering of DCII channels out there that can only be received by those receivers right?

I would say not worth it at this point. Not much is unencrypted plus it seems when I do my full arc scan every 1.5 months, there is usually one DC2 signal that has gone away as that uplinker or programmer has upgraded that channel distribution to DVB-S2 format.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my needs. I already have a GEOSATPRO micro HD receiver, an AZBOX Premium HD+, and analog receiver (with a VCII module). I also have a dish mover and both C and Ku band capabilities. I have never experimented with DCII signals and wanted to know if there is anything still up there that is DCII and is also ITC.

There are a bunch of old Motorola/GI commercial DCII receivers on ebay. I am wondering if it is worth it to buy one of them.

Thanks for your responses.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my needs. I already have a GEOSATPRO micro HD receiver, an AZBOX Premium HD+, and analog receiver (with a VCII module). I also have a dish mover and both C and Ku band capabilities. I have never experimented with DCII signals and wanted to know if there is anything still up there that is DCII and is also ITC.

There are a bunch of old Motorola/GI commercial DCII receivers on ebay. I am wondering if it is worth it to buy one of them.

Thanks for your responses.

The nice DCII Feed to get is the music choice feed which I have a GI 4200v for. There is a nice music video channel on that feed too otherwise not much up there but knowledge network ku feed on 107 and who knows how long the legacy dcii feeds will remain on ku there.

MC is going DVB S2 so the DCII's will be going away.
http://corporate.musicchoice.com/affiliates/launch-and-technical-information/

edit to add link
Thanks for the info so basically one less reason to care about dcii. Anyone know if the new feed will encrypt? Since the current feed is ZK (wide open) hopefully not. The Harmonics receiver they are using supports BISS. The dcii feed continues till feb 28 and the dvbs2 will start feb2 double illumination for all feb.

Huh. Looking at the logo, that's the same Music Choice I get from Comcast even though it's not technically part of my package. They do have some good channels.

Is it worth owning a DCII receiver if you can receive more free channels? If the receiver cost is appropriate to the additional services, yes indeed!

Same question goes for 4:2:2. Is it worth having a STB, PCI card or streaming option to have more FTA channels? If the cost is warranted by the services added, yes indeed!

We can't predict what will be available tomorrow, but we do know what is available today...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)