Digital C Band Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I am trying to receive C band this morning for the first time and am having problems.

I am using a DMS International Model ASC421 c band LNBF along with a Coolsat 4000 receiver. In order to save time in setting up my 1.8m dish I am using my existing 1.2m dish that is already adjusted perfectly onto AMC1.

I changed the LNB to SINGLRE and the LO to 5150. When I remove the KU LNB and place on the C band LNB I get no signal level at all. I was hoping to get at least a signal of 10 - 40% just so I know the c band LNB is working property.

What is an OCS LNB type? Should I be selecting this? I also have 22KHz OFF should it be ON for this LNBF?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am trying to get the ION Television channels on this satellite. Perhaps I should start out with a stronger satellite? If so, what satellite is recommended?

After looking on the internet it looks as if OCS LNB type should be "Single".

LNB Power "On".

Did you skew the new LNB correctly?

I live in California so it might be different for you but 99 Degrees West and 121 Degrees West have strong transponders for me. I am using a 1.2 Meter dish.

EDIT - I just checked and ION's transponder is too weak for me to pick up right now.

Thank you I will try Galaxy 23 at 121 degrees to start. I have the LNB skewed correctly. I guess I could have a dead out of the box LNB, but is unlikely especially with a company like DMS International.

If you get this message, wait a few minutes, I am blind scanning 103 West right now and I will PM you any active transponders for me right now.

EDIT - All I found was 4007 H 18809 SR it is listed on Lyngsat as 4005 H 18808 SR 3/4 FEC.

Last edited:
What scaler ring are you using? Assuming the 1.8m is a offset

G23 is much stronger. Its a 42 EIRP for you, compared to 39 for AMC1. Cox sports and STO are blazing on G23 (73-80 on my 1.2)

Thank you guys for your help. I am using the scaler ring that came with the model ASC421 LNBF. It makes it difficult because this LNBF is designed for a prime focus dish and not an offset.

It is getting much warmer outside, so I may just continue tomorrow.

Popcorn
On the ASC421 the skew needs to start at 90 degrees. For some reason it does that

So 0 would be (if standing in front of the dish) 9:00 or 3:00 and skew from there

If you want to try strong feeds, move to 99 and dial up World Harvest
4000 H 26400

or on AMC1
CTN (WCLF)...thats a church station so you know its strong :)
3984 H 2734

After spending several hours this morning trying to get C band and getting frustrated I was about to give up. However, I decided to give it one last shot while the dish was pointed at Galaxy 23. I held the LNBF by hand and slowly turned "POP" the green bars soared. I was totally amazed! I LNBF was pointing off to the side and was receiving a different satellite which I have been unable to verify.

I received:
Cleveland - 3.708H 5.632 (looked like Nascar)
HITN - 4.187V 5.184 (Hispanic Television)
HITN CH2 - 4.187V 5.184 (Hispanic Television)

All Three channels were crystal clear. Also, unlike KU band the C band was very forgiving and received the signal even when I moved the LNBF off focus. I was amazed that these C band channels were being received from a 1.2m (4 foot) dish.

I then turned the dish to Galaxy 11 and tried holding the LNBF by hand once again and received the following also very clear:

CST - 3.715H 4.340 (Football)
COX - 3.715H 4.340 (Football)
TV 1 - 3.921H as well as TV 2,3,4,5,6,9,13,14,15,100.111,55,95,446,96,7,17 and 8.

Picture was fantastic. If anyone can tell me what satellites I was receiving I would greatly appreciate it.

Tomorrow I am going to try to receive the CW channels on Galaxy 11 and ION channels on AMC 1. Thank you again for all your help. At least now I know my LNBF is good and that C band can be received very well on my 1.2m Channel Master dish.

what you see is from G23 at 121w

After spending several hours this morning trying to get C band and getting frustrated I was about to give up. However, I decided to give it one last shot while the dish was pointed at Galaxy 23. I held the LNBF by hand and slowly turned "POP" the green bars soared. I was totally amazed! I LNBF was pointing off to the side and was receiving a different satellite which I have been unable to verify.

I received:
Cleveland - 3.708H 5.632 (looked like Nascar)
HITN - 4.187V 5.184 (Hispanic Television)
HITN CH2 - 4.187V 5.184 (Hispanic Television)

All Three channels were crystal clear. Also, unlike KU band the C band was very forgiving and received the signal even when I moved the LNBF off focus. I was amazed that these C band channels were being received from a 1.2m (4 foot) dish.

I then turned the dish to Galaxy 11 and tried holding the LNBF by hand once again and received the following also very clear:

TV 1 - 3.921H as well as TV 2,3,4,5,6,9,13,14,15,100.111,55,95,446,96,7,17 and 8.

Picture was fantastic. If anyone can tell me what satellites I was receiving I would greatly appreciate it.

Tomorrow I am going to try to receive the CW channels on Galaxy 11 and ION channels on AMC 1. Thank you again for all your help. At least now I know my LNBF is good and that C band can be received very well on my 1.2m Channel Master dish.

it sounds like G3 at 95W....all those TV1 are horse race feeds (usually black though) :(

CW channels need to be manually programmed in with PIDS. They will not come in on a scan

Glad its working out :) Also you could try the nets on G4 (G16 99W)

Thank you ftarock and iceberg. Galaxy 23 and Galaxy 3C were the satellites I received today. Also, thank you for the tip on the CW channels.

Perhaps I'll bring out the 1.8m dish tomorrow and experiment more. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)