Digital Cable Problems

ksharp20

Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Olivet, MI 49076
I am trying out digital cable with a couple of HD channels. I can't do satellite because of line of sight issues.

I don't really know much about cable but my "digital cable" picture with the new box is worse than my standard cable with no box was. The HD looks like it should, but everything else is fuzzier and softer than my regular cable was.

I am trying to troubleshoot some things myself, instead of staying home from work waiting for a technician. Right now, the cable line is old RG-59 cable. Could this be part of my problem. It seemed to work with my regular cable OK as my picture was one of the best cable pictures I have ever seen.

First I would plug the cable directly into your set and see if your quality of analog is as good as it was.
Are all the digital channels as you described them?
Which type of cables are you feeding to your display from the STB?
If you are using the rf path that is strike one!!
Let us know the results after you try the test above.

Test Results

I have already tried several things that you mentioned.

1. Just to compare I actually split the cable signal and sent one to the STB and one directly to my TV. I experience a much better picture on the input directly into the TV than for the same channel through the STB.

2. I am using component cables from the STB to the TV.

My thought concerning the RG-59 cable was that it would have a more negative impact on my STB than when it was going to the TV as an analog signal. Would replacing the line with RG-6 improve things.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cable Choice Now Announces Formation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)