Direct TV DVR HR24-200 Connections

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PtownBubba

Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
Illinois
I just got an HR 24 installed, that replaced an HD Receiver. After a lot of head scratching and web searching ,after the D-TV Tech guy left. I have arrived at a couple conclusions. I already had 2 additional receivers [H24-200 and H25-100 ] With the DVR, I also got the Whole Home option. Just before leaving the Tech hooked up the ethernet from HR24, to my modem,,,, then I had On-Demand, and the roll back to beginning of programs. But, with that ethernet connection, that disables the Whole Home. Why the Tech did not mention that, who knows. Anyway, I ordered a DECA that connects to the system, that is "suppose" to allow On-Demand without disabling Whole Home. From what I understand, there are 3 ways to connect DECA,, Connect DECA to modem [via ethernet cable] then; 1.** Connect DECA to f-coax connector on SWM splitter. 2. Near receiver, place a 1x2 splitter, and connect DECA f-coax connector at that location. 3. Connect DECA f-coax connector to IRD F connector on the Power Supply/inserter. Will any and all of these hooks work ?? ** At the moment, I have a 4 spot SWM splitter,,, have an 8 spot coming,,,, then plan on replacing the fours runs of coax from dish to basement, with one to SWM splitter then branch off to the 3 receivers,,,, this would remove added coax and clean up the install, and lessen outside connection points,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, plus I like to tinker,,,,,
Deca Setup sm.jpg

Attachments

• My System newbsm.jpg
    My System newbsm.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 9,711
  • DishSetup 2017.jpg
    DishSetup 2017.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 786
Low,,, well perhaps,,,, but, great for servicing,, no ladders or climbing,, high enough to mow,and walk under, next to house so out of the way,,,,,, tornado proof mount,,,, not strapped to chimney with plumbers strap,,,,, vibrating/wiggling mortar loose in chimney,,,,, but don't have a chimney either,,,,, only other choice,,,, lagging to side of house,,,,,that is not as solid as a steel pipe set in concrete,,,,,

Attachments

• DishSetup 2017.jpg
    DishSetup 2017.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 348
Reactions: raoul5788
It looks good. I just didn’t realize they mounted lower these days. Mind you I won’t have DirecTV do anything for me as I go through my local dealer.

... But, with that ethernet connection, that disables the Whole Home. Why the Tech did not mention that, who knows. ...

That's just it though, the tech. may not have known. In fact this was a big problem when the HR24 first came out.

Many techs kept wrongly assuming the ethernet port was also bridged to the internal DECA like on the later Genies. And didn't realize connecting an active ethernet plug to the port would actually disable the internal DECA altogether. Then require a receiver restart or a complete rerun of the satellite setup to re-enable it.

I hooked up the DECA using a 1x2 splitter, seems to be working fine. As you mentioned,,, I too am not a big fan of D-TV Techs,,,, nice guys, but there is something each time that seems a bit lackluster,,,,, When I went from Standard to HD, he used a tailpipe to shim the mount,,,, jeepers,,,,, then at a later date,,,,,I wanted to move dish to present location, I had the pipe installed, I just wanted a good aim,,plus I was adding a 3rd receiver,,, so I asked the guy when he was there for the 3rd receiver, if he would move the dish,, he said no,, that is a $50 dollar fee. So, later I moved it myself,,,,, then again later,, D-TV came to replace a Receiver that had died,,,,, he looked at my super-mount,,, and said,,,,, oh,,,, that is not a legal mount,,,,,,,,,,, gimme a break,,, my mount is bullet proof,, maybe he was grumpy cause he had to stand on a step stool to change LNB,,,,, ???? Then add to that ,,, Direct TV has NEVER run a foot of coax in my entire home,,,,, they simply used the leftover DISH-TV coax as I went from DISH to Direct. After that,,,, "I" would always run the coax for anything added,,,, just to make it easier for the Tech,,,,,,, Kinda' wondered when the Tech saw that,,, why he didn't just toss me a hand coil of coax in exchange,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, finally while doing the broken receiver replacement,,,, he had to convert me to the SWM setup for all 3 of my receivers,,,,, so, he mounted the Power Supply,,,, again using a "spare" coax run,,,, that I had coiled in the basement for any possible expansion,,,,,he used that for the power run,,, he mentioned,,, boy that is a long coax,,,, twice,,,, but then just hooked it up anyway, and just coiled the extra 50ft of coax up,,,,, instead of cutting it,, and pressing on a new end,,,,,, I-carumbah,,,,,,,, so,,, after he left,,,, i cut it and pressed on a new connector,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not sure my Maintenance plan option is paying off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,________________________
old Dish Mount.jpg

Is that the original Dish mast with a collar over it? That will fail eventually.

Yes, that was a DISH mast, then Direct used it for a Direct Standard Dish, then Direct kept using it when I upgraded to HD, Direct put the Auto-Zone tailpipe on it, instead using the correct mast,,,,,,,. When I moved the dish to a different location, "I" bought the correct mast ,,,,,, I had to move it because Direct wanted 50 bucks to move it,,,, and yes I have the maintenance plan. As I said,, a corny mast setup, no coax ever, and an incomplete HR24 installation is my history with Direct-TV over the years,,,,,,this pic shows the setup right now,, which one D-TV Tech said was not a proper install [ really ,,, really ?????? ]
Dish setup.jpg
,, I plan on moving the SWM splitter inside, so there is just one coax run outside, instead of 4, just to make a cleaner setup,,,and have less outdoor connections, in fact no exposed connections,,, I will run a new ' home-run' coax from the inside SWM splitter back to the LNB.....

And this was Multiple D* employees doing the work ?
Or a buddy of yours helping you make things work ?
How long ago was this done ?

Neither of those installs would pass an inspection.

Does it work, yes.

Would I do it for my own set up, possibly, if I didn't have better options.
Would I expect an actual employee to set it up this way ?
NO.

I did the install on the pipe mount, no help from anyone, does it work, yes. this adventure has been going on for over 10 years,, the last hiccup, the Tech leaving with an incomplete working receiver was just over a week ago,,,,, so different Tech each time, A friend of mine just went from Direct TV to DISH,, not only did he get new receivers,,, he got all new coax installed,,,, I will stand my ground on my mount, knowing it is more durable than a lag-screwed to house, or plumber strapped to chimney,,or lag-screwed to wooden post mount,,,,,

Yes, that was a DISH mast, then Direct used it for a Direct Standard Dish, then Direct kept using it when I upgraded to HD, Direct put the Auto-Zone tailpipe on it, instead using the correct mast,,,,,,,. When I moved the dish to a different location, "I" bought the correct mast ,,,,,, I had to move it because Direct wanted 50 bucks to move it,,,, and yes I have the maintenance plan. As I said,, a corny mast setup, no coax ever, and an incomplete HR24 installation is my history with Direct-TV over the years,,,,,,this pic shows the setup right now,, which one D-TV Tech said was not a proper install [ really ,,, really ?????? ]View attachment 128667 ,, I plan on moving the SWM splitter inside, so there is just one coax run outside, instead of 4, just to make a cleaner setup,,,and have less outdoor connections, in fact no exposed connections,,, I will run a new ' home-run' coax from the inside SWM splitter back to the LNB.....

Dude just have them put it on your house like everyone else. Why on earth would you get the protection plan if you everything yourself? Use the thing you pay for. If that was my installation, I would not be impressed.

Dude just have them put it on your house like everyone else. Why on earth would you get the protection plan if you everything yourself? Use the thing you pay for. If that was my installation, I would not be impressed.
They would not move it, without being paid,,, the protection plan is for repairs, not relocation,,, why would you rather drill holes in your siding,,, instead of a solid pipe mount,,,,

Because that way it isn't on a tailpipe...
That must be it,, the tailpipe adapter was on back order,, so they were stalling until it was back in stock,,,,,I should have sent that photo to Direct-TV of the Midas Muffler Masterpiece, when it happened,,, asked them if they teach their guys to do it this way, or if I just had an outlaw installer,,,,,but,,,, I figured instead of doing anything, they would just give me free HBO for a couple months,,,,,just like the recent HR24-200 receiver install a couple weeks ago,,,,when the Tech left, Whole Home was not working, so I just bought the DECA myself , so at least i could have both Whole Home and On Demand,,,,My next project is to replace the too much coax with one coax run,,,I have new coax,,, so will do that myself,,,,,do not want the coax replaced with a tailpipe,, or 1/4" brakeline,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)