Direct TV HD DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

oodyboocs88

Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I'm thinking of upgrading to an HDDVR from Direct TV. My question is, if I buy a HD LCD TV do i really need to upgrade to the HD DVR reciever? My friends say it's not necessary for the reciever, the picture is awesome without it. Is this true? Any info anyonr can supply is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Assuming you currently have an SD receiver, you absolutely need to upgrade. With SD channels, the image will probably actually look worse than what you're seeing today - a larger screen shows picture flaws that you probably couldn't see before. The picture quality of SD channels on and HDTV will not remotely compare to HD channels.

To enjoy the full benefits of your new HDTV, yes you do. However, I have to disagree about the quality of SD on and HDTV, I have a Sharp LCD HD and to my eyes the picture quality of SD is actually better than my old Samsung LCD SD. But do upgrade to an HD receiver for the best picture quality from your new HDTV.

However, I have to disagree about the quality of SD on and HDTV, I have a Sharp LCD HD and to my eyes the picture quality of SD is actually better than my old Samsung LCD SD.
Maybe I'm in the minority, however I don't think I am. Of course, it partially depends what you're upgrading from - that could be the difference in our experience. For both our 42" and 64" HDTVs, we upgraded from 'standard' 25" TVs, and the picture on most SD channels is noticeably worse - primarily because the increased screen size shows flaws that you couldn't see before. I find most SD channels just too painful to watch...

We're slowly but surely switching over to all HD TV's. For us that's pretty simple as we only run three sets for the two of us. However, if I want to watch a good SD show I go to my remaining SD TV as SD on my Sony SXRD and Samsung LCD leaves something to be desired. Some shows are better than others but generally there's a pretty significant drop in the quality. SD on my Sony ED TV is actually pretty darn good so I'll probably keep it around for some time. It's our least watched TV hooked to an H10 so we're OK for now. But in response to the original question....absolutely switch over to an H/HR20/21 model receiver to get the full benefit of HD content.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts