direct tv help pi

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bob32racing

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
iowa
Ive got an idea of putting my 34 in my ice house for fishing this weekend. Ive got an older round 18 inch dish i want to use. Will this setup work? do i need a power inserter? I know nothing about this. HELP!

edit by Iceberg: later posts correct the receiver type...its a HR24

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the HR34 is SWM only and I don't know of any 18" dishes that have SWM LNBs.
I'm assuming the dish has the older single LNB.
You might be able to use it with a SWM8 multiswitch and then you'd have to change the sat setup to the correct dish.
It would probably be easier to just buy the same dish/LNB that you have at home.

a 24 will work fine with the 18". You wont get any HD channels though ;)

If its a H24 (just a reciever) hook it up and rerun the satellite setup to switch from SWM to 18"
If its the HR24 (DVR) you need both lines from the LNB again rerun satellite setup

I guess I should have asked if you really plan to take an HR34 with 5 tuners to your fishing ice house.
Have a good time, but remember you're there to fish, right?

DVRs need two coax lines in order to use both tuners, however, it can be used with just one if you select single tuner mode during setup.

I guess I should have asked if you really plan to take an HR34 with 5 tuners to your fishing ice house.
Have a good time, but remember you're there to fish, right?

DVRs need two coax lines in order to use both tuners, however, it can be used with just one if you select single tuner mode during setup.

Fish are attrracted to the humm of generators and the clank of empty brewski cans.

Joe

Ive selected single. But do i do multiswitch? And #1 round 18"? It still says no signal

dual means you have both lines from the lNB hooked up...single means just one tuner
multiswitch is what you want (even though there is none)
#1 18" round

On multiswitch 1 round 18 single it says no signal available on tuner 2. Also two boxes came up odd (13v) even (18v) both with red x on them.

If the dish isnt aimed right you are going to have issues with the receiver.

Run both lines from the LNB to the DVR to alleviate any "single/dual tuner" issues (for now) if you can
make sure its set up right on the satellite setup
18" round (option 1)
multiswitch
then aim the dish. There is an option for signal meter that you can bring up and aim the dish...Use any transponder but 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 or 28. Those are spotbeams

I'd use 10 or 11

until the dish is aimed properly you will have that error.
No power inserter is needed (you asked that in the 1st post)

I assume you have tried the red button reboot and then once you get to where it would say "downloading guide" you hit menu and then try and aim the dish?

I know nothing about what im doing. As i said before i have the 24 dvr. I have a dish i had used last year round 18 i believe. Date on the dish is 10/2011. Ive ran cables from both jacks on the box to the dish. When i turn the box on it trys tp communicate with the dish. 775 cabling error comes up. So i hit menu button and go into sat setup. 1 round 18-multiswitch. Ive tried both dual and single. I search for transponders no luck. I go into the other screen. Sorry i forgot the name. It shows tuner 1 and 2 where the percentage of the signals come up. Nothing comes up, ive moved the sat dozens of times. Set and reset the dish per the specs it tells me. 189/40. I still have no luck. The same dish and cable had worked last year with an older box. Im just not having any luck with this setup. It always says 775 or no sat detected. Im confused because ive tried two different cables and at the same time. I am very thankful for everyone who has and will have helped me out with this.

Often the recievers that are hooked up to a SWM system are very hard to get to change to a regular multi-switch configuration. You need to be in the dish set up screen. Choose option 1 18 inch round dish. Then make sure the switch option is multi-switch. Choose continue. You also will need to go into the signal meter screen and use the onscreen meters to aim the dish. When you have signal you are good. Continue the setup and then enjoy TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)