Direct tv Hi-def

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pdiddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2013
western montana
I'm confused,I hear two different stories,which is it?Is hi-def free of charge ,somesay there is a $10.00 per month charge.What gives?????

I believe it depends upon when you came on board with DirecTV.

For example, we've been with DirecTV for more than 10 years. Therefore, our HD fee is broken out as a separate line item of $10.

If we would have come on board during the promos for the Genie DVR, it's likely that the charge would have been included in an overall $23 or $25 line item (which would have included HD, DVR service, and Whole-Home service).

I have heard that at some point in the future DirecTV is supposed to be dropping the $10 fee. However, even when a CSR admits to it, they don't know any timelines for this alleged change.

Like you said if your an existing customer right now you would pay 10 bucks for HD.If you are a new customer signing up today,there is no charge for HD.Is how I'm reading it.

Like you said if your an existing customer right now you would pay 10 bucks for HD.If you are a new customer signing up today,there is no charge for HD.Is how I'm reading it.

Yes and no. As previously said, if you are a new customer (as in now), you will see one charge for Advanced receiver, which presumably includes the former HD charge. If you are a customer who started with Directv before last year, you will see individual charges for whole home, receiver, and HD. If you signed up for Directv during a brief period in 2011, you have free HD for life. I fall in the latter of the three, it appears on my bill like this:

DIRECTV Equipment Services
8. Watch DIRECTV on One TV 0.00
Save $6 off 1st TV
9. Advanced Receiver Service - HD 0.00
$10 off HD Access with Auto Bill Pay
10. Advanced Receiver Service - DVR 10.00
11. DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service 3.00
SUBTOTAL 13.00

Line 11 is particularly annoying because I only have 1 receiver, but Genies all have that charge, regardless.

i have free hd for life, was a promotion when i signed up
there is a $10 credit on each bill

true

is there a provider that doesn't charge it?

imho dvr's should be free too, and there shouldn't be a per receiver fee

but that's just me

remember the days of just hooking a coax to a tv to get cable?

There is not a DVR charge for each receiver, only a once-per-account charge. There is a charge for additional receivers, which most of the competition does. As you can see, HD fees are not consistently applied. I outlined three scenarios in my earlier post, and I am sure there are others. Whining to them every year gets my friend a discount on HD. Others have no luck.

New customers as of (I think) July 2014 aren't charged for hd specifically. There is a $15/month advanced receiver fee which is for hd and dvr service for the account. They do pay for each receiver/dvr though. The first one isn't free any more for new customers.

Yes and no. As previously said, if you are a new customer (as in now), you will see one charge for Advanced receiver, which presumably includes the former HD charge. If you are a customer who started with Directv before last year, you will see individual charges for whole home, receiver, and HD. If you signed up for Directv during a brief period in 2011, you have free HD for life. I fall in the latter of the three, it appears on my bill like this:

DIRECTV Equipment Services
8. Watch DIRECTV on One TV 0.00
Save $6 off 1st TV
9. Advanced Receiver Service - HD 0.00
$10 off HD Access with Auto Bill Pay
10. Advanced Receiver Service - DVR 10.00
11. DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service 3.00
SUBTOTAL 13.00

Line 11 is particularly annoying because I only have 1 receiver, but Genies all have that charge, regardless.

I agree, this should be an option, I have to pay for it as well, but the way my set uip is, I have no need for the WH part but they won't remove it.

While I'd like to see HD to be free, I have a feeling it will never really be free, they will just add something else to the bill and call it another name.

Do you really think they are willing to forgo the money they have now made on this added fee that popped up out of the blue awhile back ?

There is not a DVR charge for each receiver, only a once-per-account charge. There is a charge for additional receivers, which most of the competition does. As you can see, HD fees are not consistently applied. I outlined three scenarios in my earlier post, and I am sure there are others. Whining to them every year gets my friend a discount on HD. Others have no luck.
I don't care what they call it, I pay $120 a year for the right to have HD on thier service ... give me a credit for ANYTHING, don't care if you call it HD fee or not, $ 120 is $120.

is there a provider that doesn't charge it?

Bright House Networks has never charged for HD officially. Although the DVR prices are a bit high. So you could say that BHN is making up for the "FREE HD" with the DVR prices.

- SD DVR: $17.95
- HD DVR: $19.95
- Enhanced HD DVR: $24.95
- Whole House DVR: $40
*Enhanced DVR has 6 tuners

Bright House Networks has never charged for HD officially. Although the DVR prices are a bit high. So you could say that BHN is making up for the "FREE HD" with the DVR prices.

- SD DVR: $17.95
- HD DVR: $19.95
- Enhanced HD DVR: $24.95
- Whole House DVR: $40
*Enhanced DVR has 6 tuners
Is that the price for EACH Enhanced DVR, or is just the first one that much ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts