Direct TV install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

yankeefan8755

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
nevada
Hey everyone, I just moved into an apartment and a few weeks ago had Direct TV out to install HD Tv with DVR service. When the installers came they told me that they couldn't do the install because the dish is to big and my complex doesn't allow for drilling or anything past the patio/balcony thing. I am downstairs and south facing and I up with Charter cable and hate it. To expensive for such a small amount of HD channels. Does anyone know of anyway they could do the install? Could I request them to install it in a pot with cement that I supply? I'm looking for any ideas anyone has that could allow me to get Direct. Again, no drilling, no mounting on the building, and nothing outside of the balconey as it is not the property I am paying for. Thank you!

Okay, there's a few issues here.

First, the installers are correct, as far as the OTARD rule is concerned. If the dish in any way extends beyond your exclusive use area, then your landlord is within their rights to refuse to allow the install.

It is also within the landlord's right to deny drilling holes to run the cable in. So how do you plan on bringing in the cables from the outside? Flatwire is not the best option, and most DirecTV techs try to avoid using it due to failure rates and chargeback service calls associated with it.

As to your mounting option of a pot with cement, let's think about this. First of all, you will need a two inch OD pipe for the dish to mount to. Now this dish about about 36 inches across, and can develop wind loading of around 60 psi. Do you really think a pot with some cement in it will keep the dish standing upright? No way will a DirecTV tech worth his salt touch that one, since he's just setting himself up for a chargeback.

You may be able to get a tripod designed for the Ka/Ku dish, or even a non-penetrating roof mount for the dish to be mounted to, but these are not part of the standard install so you should be prepared to pay extra for those. Also, depending upon where they are located on your balcony, your landlord may be able to declare them a safety hazard because they could impede your exiting via the balcony in an emergency.

And now we come to the biggest headache with apartment installs, aside from landlords. Grounding the dish. The NEC has some pretty specific requirements for the grounding of the dish, and it is almost always impossible to comply with it on an apartment install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)