Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Well i am tired of my cable company (charter) i am only going to keep Charter High Speed internet service that about it.

What im looking for is HD + SD.

Previusly i had charter and i got my new HD receiver from the old SD receiver...and the SD channel were looking horrible. Now my question to you guys is will my SD channel look horrible if i get a Direct TV HD receiver or they will look the same? Also i heard Direct TV HD service is not good (HD Lite) is it true?
Another question i am planning to get some international channels too (with directTV will i be able to get american + international channels with 1 dish?) the channel im looking for is NTV (its a Bengali channel)

Another thing i heard on Dish HD your quality will be worse if it rains or snows...is that true? i had dish Network (standard def) before and it never got worse except the times when we had high winds and tons of snow).

I need all the details please - i am tired of Charter...they suck..their tech suck hell 40 mins of wait to talk to a representative sucks too.

If you do a search on posts Directv VS Dish...you will find many pros and con articles on both. It really comes down to what you are looking for.

Dish has more HD now....We are waiting for Directv to expand next year
Are you a football fan?..............Direct TV has the sunday ticket package.

I prefer DTV...Just my view, I like the picture, and I am also banking on future growth in HD with directv (most of us are holding are breath for late 2007). I think Directv Tv equipment is a bit more user friendly, and I love football so Sunday Ticket is a must for me.....

Yes, in very bad storms, you may have issues But do you really want your equipment on then?

Just my two cents............

Look at who has the programming you want and make a choice. Both have inherent issues, but both are better than cable for SDTV video quality. I lose Dish way more than I lose my Direc. For HDTV you are best to stick with OTA as it is the only real HDTV programming out there, the satcasters do not have HTDV, they have what is called HDlite and it is no where as pretty as cable or the OTA stuff. You will get a million opinions here but your is all that matters. I would ask people you KNOW who they have, if they have had both or all three and see what you get there since you are signing on for a 18-24 month hitch.

We have both at our business... Dish Network generally has a higher quality picture and is easier to use. The DVR functions are a toss up, but I have grown to like the DVR functions with Dish Network better than the TIVO DirectTV system. The dropouts are about the same with very little on both systems. If you are looking for HD, Dish Network is probably the way to go. I would not hold my breath for Direct TV as many of us has been burned before and just waiting now for the next delay.

I would not hold my breath for Direct TV as many of us has been burned before and just waiting now for the next delay.

D* is not going to spend millions on building new sats and NOT get them up and running.
They are actually pretty accurate with thier timing for the most part.
They said when this all started that in 2007 they would have the capability to have 150 national and 1500 locals in HD.
Once these two sats are up and operational, we will see the difference.

Jimbo

but no international channels from India or Bangladesh correct?

Too bad no indian or bengali channels :/ i would have looked into getting DTV if they had Bengali channels at least (NTV)

I did click the links..i saw the channels just recently..well those channels arent famous..
Usually Dish Network has the better channels (better movies and all that)
I was looking into ETV..not sure if that attracts me much...
Usually my family is NTV fanatic :/ But i like US channels and Direct TV is the way to go..argh man this sucks...its one or the other...lol

Free To Air

Many foreign/international programming can be found this way.

I doubt nTV (National Television) is however.

Last edited:
umm i c, i am limited to 1 dish only...can you get international channels + us channels with 1 satellite with Dish Network? i called their customer service and it was fast..they are really good.

I think if you get Dish 1000+ you will pick up sat 121, which I thought they moved some international channels there. Otherwise most of the internationals was on separate dish poiting to sat 67 or so...

Well i was kinda interested into DTV...they had awesome US channel lineup and their dish quality even better? and their customer service was awesome too :/

Well i was kinda interested into DTV...they had awesome US channel lineup and their dish quality even better? and their customer service was awesome too :/

I don't think you can get all you are looking for on one dish, they have a specific dish for the international channels.
Someone else will have to let you know if the international dish will get the US sats too.

Jimbo

I don't think you can get all you are looking for on one dish, they have a specific dish for the international channels.
Someone else will have to let you know if the international dish will get the US sats too.

Jimbo

Well for dishnetwork looked like most channels(international) the ones that i was looking for indian+bengali channel to be on one transponder..and yes i would need a super 1000+ dish..but that would do the job.

Not sure whats the story for DishNetwork.

Well for dishnetwork looked like most channels(international) the ones that i was looking for indian+bengali channel to be on one transponder..and yes i would need a super 1000+ dish..but that would do the job.

Not sure whats the story for DishNetwork.

A super 1000 dish IS Dish Network.

yeha...but i was wondering if there was an Alternative for DTV...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts