Direct TV Salesman at Best Buy Laments VOOM leaving

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Well, went into a Best Buy to see the Direct-TV feed on a 60" Sony LCD Projector (Wega) and neither the HD nor the SD was really very good--nothing like VOOM--they were using the DVI connection.

The salesman, who spent quite a bit of time with us, agreed COMPLETELY that VOOM was probably the best HD Satellite Service ANYWHERE and it was just a crying shame that it was going away.

He did not try to push us to buy Direct-TV--once he knew we had VOOM, he realized it was a no-brainer and that we probably would not be happy with PQ less than what we had.

If we all had BOSE speakers sound system (or whatever the best sound system is out there) and then were told--well, go find a replacement with Stereo or old Pro Logic Surround Sound, because BOSE would not longer be making sound systems,
what would anyone do?

bookwalk said:
If we all had BOSE speakers sound system (or whatever the best sound system is out there) and then were told--well, go find a replacement with Stereo or old Pro Logic Surround Sound, because BOSE would not longer be making sound systems,
what would anyone do?

I think I am just going to freeze myself and comeback in 10 years.

Wonder if my LCD will dry up and if my speakers will dryrot.

bookwalk said:
If we all had BOSE speakers sound system (or whatever the best sound system is out there) and then were told--well, go find a replacement with Stereo or old Pro Logic Surround Sound, because BOSE would not longer be making sound systems, what would anyone do?
You're comparing Voom to Bose??? :shocked

That's not the way to get any sympathy... ;)

moving on

justalurker said:
Doesn't matter. They will be obsolete if five years anyways.

JL

Can I just get the brain implant now? I'll take that with 9.1 - 4 dementional holographic infinitely variable frequency adjustment, 3600 non-interlace, 10 simultaneous channel tuner with two-way communication in audio and video.

-Scott
Did I mention that it had to be run by a group of independents like us from Sat. Guys. No more *D, E*, TW, Com, CV, V, or anyone else who has to make a profit on top of a profit.

Cold storage for a few years...probably the best idea I've heard yet...but just for the record, I have 11 year old Bose speakers, and while I know they are now maligned...one of the things I will miss most about VoOm is the sound...even over my ancient, possibly over-rated Bose speakers...Vicki :river :river :river

If I heard BOSE would no longer be around, I would be happy that people would get better sound for less money with ANY other brand that isn't sold from the back of a white van.

PS, if you want to see what some of the best speakers ever made look like, check out the link in my signature.

Mr. Poindexter...remember I said they were 11 years old...and to me, then, they were "divine"...I know there are probably better offerings now, but even what may now be considered bottom-of-the-barrel (in terms of sound as well as picture) looks and sounds better on VoOm than anything else I've experienced :) ...and that market is what a VoOm concept needed to, but didn't quite reach soon enough... :no

Since I've experienced VoOm, I had decided to spring for new speakers, but the way things stand now, I'll just hang for a while... :no :no :no Vicki :river :river :river

Mr.Poindexter said:
If I heard BOSE would no longer be around, I would be happy that people would get better sound for less money with ANY other brand that isn't sold from the back of a white van.

PS, if you want to see what some of the best speakers ever made look like, check out the link in my signature.

I find that interesting. I wonder how many people who malign Bose have ever actually heard Bose. They get attacked now because everyone copied their style, but I've yet to hear ANY system that comes close to sounding like a Bose Lifestyle system, properly set up.

I have. Bose systems are "cute". No doubt about that.

FIREBIRD81 said:
I find that interesting. I wonder how many people who malign Bose have ever actually heard Bose. They get attacked now because everyone copied their style, but I've yet to hear ANY system that comes close to sounding like a Bose Lifestyle system, properly set up.

And they have a high SAF but for unstrained and accurate sound you have to move air and Bose speakers just aren't big enough to do that. This is not a bashing of Bose as many people have them and "enjoy" them just not me.

Still enjoying watching and listening to HDTV via VOOM and JMLab under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Genesis speakers aren't bad but what you really need...

Mr.Poindexter said:

are JMLab Grand Utopia Bes. Heh, heh, just kidding. The Genesis you have should make excellent HT speakers. Now for music I like tubes and don't have room in my living room for tube amps big enough to power them so I put up with JMLabs.

Still enjoying until the bitter end HDTV via VOOM with pic by Sim2Seleco and sound by JMLab (alas, not the Grand Utopias) under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Firebird, I have heard BOSE systems and they have all sounded very poor compared to systems that cost less. Paper cone drivers in a plastic box with spring clips and no crossovers is not a good speaker design.

Technically, you are right - I haven't heard systems that come close to sounding like BOSE. They have consistantly sounded better. 11 years ago, BOSE was just as much of a marketing machine they are today and their speakers are still underperforming today just like they were back then. Sorry if you thought the BOSE sounded great 11 years ago, but they were not a good deal back then either.

They don't image well, have a horrid soundstage, weak bass and a poor lower midrange caused by their sat speakers rolling off at a higher frequency than their "bass module" can put out in its +/-3db range.

If you go on their web site, you will notice that they do not even list frequency response for their Lifestyle 48 system in the specifications! They don't list them for their 901's either. I recall speaking with a dealer once and they told me they have unlimited power handling capability. That is just BS.

Firebird, are you going to say that the BOSE lifestyle system will sound superior to this system?
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphoto.php?photo=1550&sort=1&size=big&cat=500
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphoto.php?photo=1598&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

All that BOSE has going for itself is a small form factor and a well recognized brand due to their massive marketing campaign. Anthony Gallo has much more attractive speakers that perform better and are about the same size.

If you haven't heard anything better than BOSE, I suggest you go to a store and do a side by side comparison of the Lifestyle system and another competing brand. Oh, wait, you can't do that. BOSE prohibits their lifestyle system being shown in a room that would allow for an easy comparison and doing so would cause them to terminate you as a dealer. Yeah, sounds like a superior performing product.

I lament the loss of Voom, as I am all about the quality of the presentation. This is the same reason I lament the existence of BOSE, as there are people that get duped every day into sheeling out extra money thinking they are getting superior performance when in reality they are getting worse quality. That type of fleecing just rubs me the wrong way. It may not be illegal, but I don't like to just shrug and say P.T. Barnum was right.

Mr.Poindexter
If bigger is better then you certainly are the KING OF OVERKILL!. I would love to hear your system. I have marveled at your HT pics from AVS in the past. Just out of curiosity a friend of mine used Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers all the way around for DD 7.1 and the system really sounds great. Is this in the same league as yours for me to get an idea of sound quality?

A lot of folks love/hate Bose, but my goodness, I just can't stand the sound. I agree with the folks who blast it, for a lot less money I can get a more dynamic sound (or at least a sound that I prefer).

Mr.Poindexter said:

Amen :D
Comparing Bose to the High End (No Highs, No lows... must be Bose) is akin to comparing McDonalds to a five star resturant (you might not know the difference but you sound like a real dumbass around those that do). Probably some of those same tards that think the earbuds that came with their iPod's are anything but disposable. :cool:

Mr.Poindexter said:

I think those Infinities fall in the "Most Expensive" speakers ever mass produced category.

In short their are numerous manufacturers who produce quality speakers (B&W, snell, Martin Logan, etc.), Bose makes BigMac's, 'nuff said. :smug

Indy,

Martin Logan speakers sound great and one of their systems was rated AAAA by Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. The Infinity IRS series sounded more like Martin Logans than traditional cone/dome speakers but not quite. The Logans are electrostatic while the Infinity IRS were electromagnetic. VMPS makes speakers that sound a lot like the old Infinity. The new Genesis speakers sound different as well, but not that different.

Mr.Poindexter said:

Fine, but the entire room is one big speaker. Bose's selling point from day one has always been the small form factor and the ability to easily create a home theater experience without makeing your room look like THAT!

If you haven't heard anything better than BOSE, I suggest you go to a store and do a side by side comparison of the Lifestyle system and another competing brand. Oh, wait, you can't do that. BOSE prohibits their lifestyle system being shown in a room that would allow for an easy comparison and doing so would cause them to terminate you as a dealer. Yeah, sounds like a superior performing product.
Absolutely untrue. Walk into any Fry's Electronics. Granted, Bose has the theater, but walk out of the theator and there is another room where you can check out any other high end system.

When I bought my Bose 5.1 system way back in 1998, I knew there were better options, but it came down to how I wanted to use the system in the space I had...form factor and scaling the system to the environment and 'neighbor issues' comes into play when you're in an apartment with hardwood floors. I had previously owned massive speakers with great bass (while my Bose sub doesn't), but was willing to sacrifice a bit for the sake of not having my A/V gear swamp the living room. At the time, Bose was the near-perfect solution. I think that has significantly changed in the past seven years, but mainly because others saw what Bose was doing and improved on it. If you want a temple of doom aesthetic with massive pillars in a "lab/den" then of course you have fantastic speaker options...ergonomics has no say there. I plan on upgrading my speaker system soon and it won't be Bose, but it will have a multitude of concerns thrown in as far as aesthetics/envirnomental 'impact' go (find the Nero/Yamaha single speaker/panel systems that made big splashes at recent CES shows very intriguing) and I have to say, Bose had a play in that.

All a matter of taste/sensibilities/priorities and yes, there're a lot of gimmicky crappy-sounding speaker setups out there...just walk the aisles of Costco and look at the HT-in-a-Box sets for one. But those are at least giving folks an affordable HT solution and bringing them into the fold, which I am thankful for. No need to wrinkle ones nose.

Mr.Poindexter said:

Nice setup...I didn't know Bose made speakers that big :D I'm with you...maybe we can get the Dolan's to invest in Bose and and kill them off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)