Direct TV to DISH

JohnGalt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2023
OC
I have a few questions:

Thinking of bolting from Direct TV:

1) Can I watch Sports games in 4k on Dish ? On Direct TV it asks me if I want to switch to the 4k programming.
2) Does the Hopper system work better than the Hopper Plus ?
3) Is the picture as good on Dish as on Direct TV ?
4) Am I am making a massive mistake moving from Direct TV to Dish ?
5) Do all of the features work on the Hopper Plus or am I signing up to be a beta test for two years ?

Well I don't have a Hopper +, so others can answer that. As for Sports the only Sports I find in 4k on my Hopper 3 is NFL or MLB and only when it's on Fox , since I don't sub to locals so I don't know if I subed to locals I would have the other networks. I do sub to Fox Sports1&2 , not sure if that has anything to do with it.But I watched the NFC game in 4k, but wasnt able to find the AFC on CBS on Dish 4k, I had to go to my firestick for that.
I've seen DirecTv but not in 4k so I can't compare picture quality, I have quality OLED TV and Dush HD is perfectly fine. As for making a mistake I'm not sure more Sports on Direct than Dish, Direct also has more HBO channels, but Dish has MGM+ (EPIX) , I don't think that's on Direct. It's kind of gone downhill since the name change ,so I'm not sure that's its worth getting that movie extra pack. The Hopper 3 is much much much better than the Genie or any other Satellite receiver. There's pros and cons on both providers. The choice is yours to do research. I've been with Dish for 20+ years no complaints, other receiver fees and price increases oh and ocassional channel disputes, none affecting me ATM. I ja e a firestick 4k good enough for me than a Hopper +.

I have a few questions:

Thinking of bolting from Direct TV:

1) Can I watch Sports games in 4k on Dish ? On Direct TV it asks me if I want to switch to the 4k programming.
2) Does the Hopper system work better than the Hopper Plus ?
3) Is the picture as good on Dish as on Direct TV ?
4) Am I am making a massive mistake moving from Direct TV to Dish ?
5) Do all of the features work on the Hopper Plus or am I signing up to be a beta test for two years ?
Sports or any programming in 4K on Dish is minimal. Sports generally is a sore spot as Dish has never resolved its dispute with Bally Sports.
The plus is an add-on to the Hopper, not a different option. It's buggy but getting better as it's still new. The good thing is the Hopper 3 is already a 4K Receiver and the Joeys that are installed IF you get the plus are also 4K. The picture quality is also a matter of opinion. Some people say Dish is better. Some say DTV is better.
The mistake is up to you. If you want to save a ton of money and have the best industry equipment, switch to Dish. If you're good with ridiculous billing and no updates to old technology, then stay with DTV

Does the hopper 3 work better without the plus.
Absolutely. The hopper has native apps on it like Netflix and YouTube and Amazon prime so you don’t need the plus for those. If there are other ways to stream and you have a smart TV, or a Firestick or a Roku, then you absolutely do not need or want the plus.

Absolutely. The hopper has native apps on it like Netflix and YouTube and Amazon prime so you don’t need the plus for those. If there are other ways to stream and you have a smart TV, or a Firestick or a Roku, then you absolutely do not need or want the plus.
I dont understand why Dish is trying to charge me for the Hooper 3 while the Hopper plus is free. I have six TV's and they want 250 bucks for the Hopper3. The plus has no up front costs. The other thing I have been reading is people say DISH IS AWFUL and many times you lose local channels. This entire TV thing is a complete fiasco. I Am starting to think about dumping it all together. Also seeing that Dish lost 500k subs in 2022. Something doesn't seem right.

I dont understand why Dish is trying to charge me for the Hooper 3 while the Hopper plus is free. I have six TV's and they want 250 bucks for the Hopper3. The plus has no up front costs. The other thing I have been reading is people say DISH IS AWFUL and many times you lose local channels. This entire TV thing is a complete fiasco. I Am starting to think about dumping it all together.
The hopper plus is just an add-on. It plugs into a USB port on the hopper. And remember when you read complaints online, they’re only leveraged by people who have something to complain about. Dish has lost vocals in the past. Every provider loses channels at some point. Look at DIRECTV. They lost the NFL ticket, now they’ve lost Newsmax, they lost Fox TV in many markets, at the end of the street it’s just the nature of the beast.

The other thing that I will admit is a nightmare is this nonsense about Dish trying to charge people for a hopper three. The best I can tell you is do not try to haggle with whoever answers the phone when you call because that is the lowest level of service Rabbi Mayer, who is sitting in a cubicle reading a computer that’s probably not written in English. I would try to get to a higher level sales person. And the fact is that with six TVs, the hopper three is automatically what would get installed and if you’re coming as a new customer, then there’s no reason at all to have a fee for installation.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The hopper plus is just an add-on. It plugs into a USB port on the hopper. And remember when you read complaints online, they’re only leveraged by people who have something to complain about. Dish has lost vocals in the past. Every provider loses channels at some point. Look at DIRECTV. They lost the NFL ticket, now they’ve lost Newsmax, they lost Fox TV in many markets, at the end of the street it’s just the nature of the beast.

The other thing that I will admit is a nightmare is this nonsense about Dish trying to charge people for a hopper three. The best I can tell you is do not try to haggle with whoever answers the phone when you call because that is the lowest level of service Rabbi Mayer, who is sitting in a cubicle reading a computer that’s probably not written in English. I would try to get to a higher level sales person. And the fact is that with six TVs, the hopper three is automatically what would get installed and if you’re coming as a new customer, then there’s no reason at all to have a fee for installation.
I guess my question is I have Google TV, Nvida Shield I dont need the plus. IF I want the next best thing what should I get? Can I have them install the Hopper 3 with the 4k boxes and just unplug the plus ?

I guess my question is I have Google TV, Nvida Shield I dont need the plus. IF I want the next best thing what should I get? Can I have them install the Hopper 3 with the 4k boxes and just unplug the plus ?
I also have a shield, a shield pro actually, but either way you already have something that’s much better than the hopper plus

To add to this I signed up for Dish in September 2022 and I have the Hopper 3 with Hopper + and four Joey 4s. I did not pay any installation fees with my install and I did not pay any fees for the boxes. They had the fee on the bill until the end of the ordering process. The sales person told me that it would depend on my credit check when she completed the order. I told her that my order depended upon whether or not they wanted to charge me these fees. Ultimately I did not pay any fees as stated above. Beyond that I will say the Hopper + while nice to aggregate your streaming services in one place with one remote is fraught with bugs after numerous software updates. Having said that it does get better with each software update.

To add to this I signed up for Dish in September 2022 and I have the Hopper 3 with Hopper + and four Joey 4s. I did not pay any installation fees with my install and I did not pay any fees for the boxes. They had the fee on the bill until the end of the ordering process. The sales person told me that it would depend on my credit check when she completed the order. I told her that my order depended upon whether or not they wanted to charge me these fees. Ultimately I did not pay any fees as stated above. Beyond that I will say the Hopper + while nice to aggregate your streaming services in one place with one remote is fraught with bugs after numerous software updates. Having said that it does get better with each software update.
I have decided to buy some time on my purchase. Direct TV gave me 70 bucks of my bill per month for an entire year.
The other thing I have realized is Satellite TV is a dying technology. I think these companies are doing whatever they can do to make money before it all comes crashing down. As much as I hate Direct TV pulling OAN and NEWSMAX I think the trend will continue over at DISH with NEWSMAX. I am getting Newsmax and OAN via Google TV. All of the sales reps for both services are used car salesmen. I am not sure why the TV stations don't cut out the middle men and deal direct to the consumer through some internet based system. Whatever I am about to pull the plug on all tv as its just become a massive propaganda network.

I have decided to buy some time on my purchase. Direct TV gave me 70 bucks of my bill per month for an entire year.
If it lasts a year. I've many, many people coming to Dish who told me that "year" lasted anywhere from 1 to 3 months before it started going up again

The other thing I have realized is Satellite TV is a dying technology. I think these companies are doing whatever they can do to make money before it all comes crashing down. As much as I hate Direct TV pulling OAN and NEWSMAX I think the trend will continue over at DISH with NEWSMAX. I am getting Newsmax and OAN via Google TV. All of the sales reps for both services are used car salesmen. I am not sure why the TV stations don't cut out the middle men and deal direct to the consumer through some internet based system. Whatever I am about to pull the plug on all tv as its just become a massive propaganda network.
Satellite is definitely a fading technology. The Hopper Plus is Dish's way of trying to bridge the gap by marrying terrestrial TV with Streaming. It's far from perfect but every device that comes out is far from perfect. From Windows 95 to the most recent streaming devices, there are bugs in new technology and the best way to discover, isolate and patch those bugs in real-world applications and I say that as someone who is outspoken about the Plus and its issues.

Propaganda seems to be the flavor of our times, sadly, in most things we encounter in our daily lives

I have an outstanding credit... Dish is trying to push new customers into the Plus system which I have confirmed is a huge hunk of crap. I talked to the installer from Dish and he even told me do not get it. He said if now its buggy as hell and they rushed the roll out. When I called back to Dish they tried to charge me 50 bucks per 4k Joeys and 25 for a wireless Joey. I told them to cancel the entire order. Went back to DirectTV got my old package back with a 70 dollar discount per month.
If it lasts a year. I've many, many people coming to Dish who told me that "year" lasted anywhere from 1 to 3 months before it started going up again

Satellite is definitely a fading technology. The Hopper Plus is Dish's way of trying to bridge the gap by marrying terrestrial TV with Streaming. It's far from perfect but every device that comes out is far from perfect. From Windows 95 to the most recent streaming devices, there are bugs in new technology and the best way to discover, isolate and patch those bugs in real-world applications and I say that as someone who is outspoken about the Plus and its issues.

Propaganda seems to be the flavor of our times, sadly, in most things we encounter in our daily lives
1675529413914.png

Reactions: tjboston5676
Satellite is definitely a fading technology. The Hopper Plus is Dish's way of trying to bridge the gap by marrying terrestrial TV with Streaming.
I have always thought it was a mistake to blend the two services, all it does is teach people they no longer need a Traditional Provider, when the majority of content is on a streaming service at a less expensive price, why then pay for both.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
I have always thought it was a mistake to blend the two services, all it does is teach people they no longer need a Traditional Provider, when the majority of content is on a streaming service at a less expensive price, why then pay for both.
The problem with the Stream model is its a complete cluster. Someone needs to tie it all together so you can get all of the channels at once.

The problem with the Stream model is its a complete cluster. Someone needs to tie it all together so you can get all of the channels at once.
For some, I find it quite easy.

And while I still have a live TV service for news and Big Ten Football (YTTV), I prefer to watch shows from Broadcast/Cable Channels on the streaming services for the better quality ( 1080P, some are in 4K now and Dolby Digital+).

For some, I find it quite easy.

And while I still have a live TV service for news and Big Ten Football (YTTV), I prefer to watch shows from Broadcast/Cable Channels on the streaming services for the better quality ( 1080P, some are in 4K now and Dolby Digital+).

Do you not get Dolby Digital Plus on Dish ? Its pretty standard on Direct TV. Also the 4k programming is pretty limited in Direct TV. How is it in DISH ?

I don't see where they're trying to blend DISH and Sling TV. I see it more as providing a single point of access for all of your content whether it comes from DISH or via some other service. The Xbox and Playstation were brought to market with a similar goal.

I don't see where they're trying to blend DISH and Sling TV. I see it more as providing a single point of access for all of your content whether it comes from DISH or via some other service. The Xbox and Playstation were brought to market with a similar goal.
Not even what I am referring to.

With the Hopper Plus you get access to other services, say you also subscribe to Hulu and discover you get access to all Fox, ABC, FX ,etc shows that are on Broadcast/Cable Channels, then you may question why you pay for both.

I suspect that the partnership with Google is the source of this and the rush to get them out in the field is based on a series of Quota directed by Google that Dish is trying to accommodate. Just a theory but it makes sense to me