Direct way possible install

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I have been seriously thinking about Direct Way since they now reach 1mb DL speed with the pro package.

My questions are, how reliable is the service and what know software issues are there with it? Will all the messenger services work with it?

Eric Goempel said:
I have been seriously thinking about Direct Way since they now reach 1mb DL speed with the pro package.

My questions are, how reliable is the service and what know software issues are there with it? Will all the messenger services work with it?

Eric, hope you don't mind if I piggyback another Direcway question onto yours.

Can the Direcway dish be pole mounted?

I really don't want one mounted through my vinyl siding or on my second story roof.

Hey Scott would a direcway sub forum be appropriate here on Satelliteguys?

What are you currently using now? If you have or have access to decent speed (1.0mpbs or above) cable or dsl you should go with that instead of direcway. Two-way Satellite internet has horrible latency (like 2000ms and above), so it is not really great for online gaming. Most instant messaging programs should work fine though. One really big thing that sucks about Direcway is their Fair Access Policy. You only get like 180mb of download threshold in a 10 hour period. If you go over this, your speed realllllllllly slows down, less than dial-up. Believe me, back in the 90's, I had the one-way system and I hit the FAP all the time (i had multiple computers connected to it.) I now have 3mbps dsl and it is waaaaaaay better. If satellite is your only option for HSI, I would definitely go for WildBlue. I have never used Wildblue but they sound a lot better. They have a much more generous FAP (I think 15gb per month) and cheaper prices than Direcway. Oh, and about reliability. I had both Direcway and Directv on the Direcduo dish, and I would lose the internet way before I would lose the tv during a thunderstorm. At first, my speed would start slow down with the rainclouds, but when the rain started, I lost it completely. I am not trying to bash Direcway, but this is my own personal experience with it and if I were you, I would try for cable or dsl, then Wildblue.

Last edited:
ArtWIS said:
Eric, hope you don't mind if I piggyback another Direcway question onto yours.

Can the Direcway dish be pole mounted?

I really don't want one mounted through my vinyl siding or on my second story roof.

Hey Scott would a direcway sub forum be appropriate here on Satelliteguys?

Yes, the direcway dish can be pole mounted. I am not 100% positive about the pole diameter but I think it is 2".

Well I live so far out in the country that I can not get cable-DSL-ISDN- or line of sight dish. My dial up max speed is 30k.

those bandwidth limits are totally unacceptable. Why is this not mentioned upfront? With cable I could dl up to 20 gb in a week!

But the speed of dial up is killing me.

I wish i could save things on my server then go off site and download that info to DVD with high speed once a week.

I will look into wild blue.

Eric if you are going with Direcway soon to be Hughes Net wait. They have a new 7000s coming out in June or July I have heard. The truth. With the home pack says 700 but you will get around 600. The upload speeds have improve greatly, I see up to 150 with the home pack most of the time. The Pro Pak says 1 meg but you get around 800.

The pole you will need is 2" sch 40 "2 3/8 OD". If you put one up yourself make sure it is 6' tall cause of radiation. Also make sure it is perfectly straight no exemptions. I have some great web sites on my laptop but my screen was busted so I will have to find them for you again.

Messenger services work with it the only thing is real time apps will not work great.

What type of system do you have? I do Direcway everyday so feel free to ask anything about it and I will give you the truth on it.

kdarcangelis870 said:
What are you currently using now? If you have or have access to decent speed (1.0mpbs or above) cable or dsl you should go with that instead of direcway. Two-way Satellite internet has horrible latency (like 2000ms and above), so it is not really great for online gaming. Most instant messaging programs should work fine though. One really big thing that sucks about Direcway is their Fair Access Policy. You only get like 180mb of download threshold in a 10 hour period. If you go over this, your speed realllllllllly slows down, less than dial-up. Believe me, back in the 90's, I had the one-way system and I hit the FAP all the time (i had multiple computers connected to it.) I now have 3mbps dsl and it is waaaaaaay better. If satellite is your only option for HSI, I would definitely go for WildBlue. I have never used Wildblue but they sound a lot better. They have a much more generous FAP (I think 15gb per month) and cheaper prices than Direcway. Oh, and about reliability. I had both Direcway and Directv on the Direcduo dish, and I would lose the internet way before I would lose the tv during a thunderstorm. At first, my speed would start slow down with the rainclouds, but when the rain started, I lost it completely. I am not trying to bash Direcway, but this is my own personal experience with it and if I were you, I would try for cable or dsl, then Wildblue.

Another Missinformed person, Over 2000ms ping time what are you talking about?
nothing is that bad. Satellite is from 500 to 700 which is bad but nothing like 2000. The FAP you get 175 for an 4 hour period which you should NEVER get close to unless you are downloading movies "and thats for the home version the pro is 350. The recovery rate is around 50k for both and the fap will be lifted within 8 hours. Speed is not affected by your signal quality, it will work the same with a 40% or 80%.

ArtWIS,

I have asked about a Direcway forum but seems like we will not get one.

I looked up wild blue.

We apologize, but due to overwhelming demand, we are not currently performing installations in your area. We hope to resume doing so in the coming months. Please register and we will inform you as soon as installations resume in your area.
The Zip Code you entered: 44460
Search Another Zip Code

30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee offered by participating retailers only.

Is this because they dont pay the installers? sounds kinda fishy to me.

Guess thats out of the question!!!!!

Directway here I come. But I guess I will wait until after the new system comes out. let me know when that is Tate.

Last edited:
JPEG images as requested. :D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 166
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 168
Tate do you have more info on the changes coming? When will it happen? and am I relly better off waitting on it?

Sorry for the late reply, I just got home.

From what I have found out with the new 7000 that is coming the download speed is suppose to be 1meg with the home plan. It is 700k right now. Not to sure of the date, but if I was in your shoes I would go ahead and get it now. If you want to upgrade after it comes out it is usually like $49 or $99 if you sign another contract "which will give you a new warranty.

I don't know how much research you have done but there are 2 ways you can buy.

1. $599 upfront and monthly $59 for 700k/128k or $69 for 1m/200k with a 15 month warranty.

2. $99 upfront and monthly $99 for 700k/128k or $109 for 1m/200k with a 30 month warranty. This is for 15 months after that it goes to $59 or $69.

If you pay $599 upfront and get the pro plan "$69 per month" you can purchase the extra 15 month warranty for $100 dollars which is well worth it believe me. A service call for Direcway is outrageous if you have to pay for it.

Now the price above does not include the pole. A pole is usually $125 for most company's "It cannot be more, Direcway regulates the price" But like I said earlier you can put your own up it needs to be a 9' X 2" sch40 which make it 2 3/8 OD. It needs to be aleast 6' off the ground "the installer cannot mount it any lower". Also I am not sure were you are located but right now we are pointing to HOR1 which is @ 127 west or G4R which is @ 99 west. It depends on what state you live in.

These are the system req.
# Windows 98SE or higher or Mac OS 10.1 or higher and
# Network capability (10/100 Ethernet pre-equipped

Also the install is only for 1 computer. If you want more than 1 depending on which installation company you get they may be able to set your network up. Our company only does wireless so you may want to check to see what they offer on that end if you want another computer hookup but it will be an additional charge. Don't be surprised if the company does not do additional hookups as some do not.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

James

EDIT: price for pro pack with 99 upfront.

Last edited:
Check out Wildblue as well. They have better FAP then Direcway people said. on Direcway if you download a large file about 650MB linux iso or something or just watching some streaming, once you get about 200MB within the hour they will slow you down to 56K, until you stopp using it for a few hours you will get your full browsing speed.

WildBlue fap is pretty simple, they give like 7.5Gig/month and you use it how you like. Wild blue is pretty simple to install with their Pointing aid. Speed is really good for home satellite system. The mid packaged will give you about 135KB/sec sustained speed when you download from fast site. The basic package only give you like 90KB/sec.

The ping times are about 400ms to 600ms compare to direcway 700+ms ping times.

Oh yeah,, I just heard that they are doing Free Install, Free Equipments soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)