DirecTiVo launched since the last time I was here

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The reason why people ask for a TiVo is because it has the name of TiVo on it. It is much more complicated to use, does a lot less than the HRxx's, is very limited, and is ancient technology.

The reason people want it is because most people loved their SD Tivos and even the HR10-250 that Directv had. They were great and just worked and the interface was super easy to use. Then the HRxx with it's proprietary software came around and was slow, the software was buggy and there were artificial limits that didn't exist on the Tivo(50 series limit anyone?). The one thing that always bugged me on the HR2:mad:minus the 24's) was simple channel changes. To this day, on my HR20, i can type in say 265 and it will still sometimes end up trying to change to channel 26, then 5 because poorly written software that decides when the timer is up, it's gonna change the channel no matter what, even tho it hasn't processed all the digits yet.

The reason people want the HR24s and up is because they have the hardware/speed to overcome the bloated, poorly written HRxx software.

As I mentioned, the problem with the new Tivo is it is behind the times. It's on the slowest platform(HR21, yet Tivo software is surprisingly spiffy on the HR21 platform) and doesn't do many of the features that the HRxxs do, with the biggest one being MRV. I suspect this is by design from Directv to keep them one step behind their own boxes.

Anyway, to each their own.

I believe it's an HR22 (THR22-200) which isn't that much better than the hr21. I've had both the HR21 and 22.terrible.

MRV will work with your HR22 if you get a HR34. You'd just need a DECA adapter for your HR22 to get internet connection to it from your coaxial cable. As far as your H20's & SD receivers go,you'd need band stop filters connected to each of them so that the internet signal from DECA set up will not interfere with their picture.
MRV isn't worth the money for me to only do it between two rooms, so I'll probably just pass on that. Hell, I'd be more than willing to just give up the slow as molasses HR22(which got even worse with the HD GUI) for the HR34 free with a contractat this point haha

although I really need to call them and try for some credits. my bill is currently at $136 and it isn't even football season. i need to get my hd credit back and put 2 receivers on hold, then hope they'll give me another credit or something

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts