DirecTivo Universal Remote -- AWK!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dmcclure

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I really like my DVR40s, but am using one on a home theatre system, and the DirecTivo remote is. . .well, pretty limited.

I spoke with D about this, and they sent me the "universal version" of the remote, which allows programming of two additional devices -- VCR, DVD, stereo amp, etc. So far, so good.

One note. The remote will not turn off the D receiver. I am told this is by design, since the DVR40 is not meant to be turned off. Okay by me.

But here is the thing. I have a Sony STR DE945 receiver, and while the remote will turn it on and off, it will not turn the volume up and down or mute it.

I called D tech support, where an earnest young man read me the script about "so many different devices, can't have codes for all, etc." Okay. Asked if he would make a small note to the programmers that PERHAPS it might be nice for the stereo amp to have volume control and mute. He again read me the script, and I again agreed, but asked whether he thought it a little silly that the code for a stereo receiver would not control the volume (why else would you want to control it????). At this point we went into the twilight zone, with the tech rep opining that most D subscribers were poor folk who did not have fancy home theater systems and thus could just use the volume controls on their televisions. . .

I am sitting here pondering all the po' folk with their D*Tivo recorders and no surround sound. And pondering whether one of you po' folk might know a code that would work for this stereo amp. . .

Dave

Oh my goodness!!! That is crazy! Not everyone in America, the land of opportunity, has minimum of DD 5.1 SS ??? What kind of a 3rd world country are we coming to???
You might want to slap your butler a few times and remind him who pays his minimum wage, then maybe he will start tuning in your audio receiver as you wish.

Otherwize, usins in tha south jus smack tha youngens on tha noggin a few times an watch em run roun tha yard fer fun.

Taking all things into consideration, satellite is no longer an " exclusivity " thing anymore. It's not only for country club residents and upper class citizens. I think that may be the reason it is so widely advertised.

Although I may be one of the " po folk " you are referring to. I happen to have Tivo not connected to my SS. Seeing as you are
dmcclure said:
pondering whether one of you po' folk might know a code that would work for this stereo amp. . .
I have the answer. Yes there is a code. If you would care to do what we " po folk " do and READ THE MANUAL ( which is available online at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Manuals.dsp ), then you might just find that code.

Buck up kiddo, not all is lost... and that which is lost, can still be found.

~ Name created just for you ~

PS- to address the point of being able to control the AV receiver device and not the volume.... well at least you can control it.
-I believe Neutron says it best when he said " You get what you paid for"
You asked for free advice, I gave it to you.

Thanks, but. . .

Thanks for the input. The southern humor is always engaging, but please note:

The "universal remote" featured on the web page is not the "universal remote" that DTV is actually selling. The new remote is to be found nowhere on their web site, and there is no reference to it on the UEI site (the private label the remote for DTV).

I know how to read the manual, goofy. I just don't find a code that works (unlike on the previous universal remote, in which code 0158 worked just fine).

As for the Harmony, I would love to. . .but can't get past the screams of anguish from non-techies who can't figure out all the buttons. I really amy looking for a simpler solution. . .and the new DTV Universal remote would work just fine if it would just raise and lower the volume. Unfortunately, I think I am stuck going back to the trusty but complicated URC8811.

Dave

dmcclure said:
As for the Harmony, I would love to. . .but can't get past the screams of anguish from non-techies who can't figure out all the buttons. Dave

HUH? My 8 year old knows how to use this remote (H659) and I never even gave him instructions!!! That is the point of the Harmony remote, an idiot be it 8 or 80 can have all 4 buttons down in about .0523 seconds. :D

There is no easier way than the harmony way. Techies should look at the other lines ... theatre max or something like that.

The Sony AV receiver is probably defaulted to the AV2 set of Sony remote codes.
The TiVo remote only has the AV1 set, so find out how to change the AV receiver to the AV1 set.

An awesomely good idea, but my receiver is already on the AV1 set. What I don't understand is that this thing seems to follow the same code set as other UEI remotes, except that the 0158 code set that has always worked before doesn't work.

I may just have to accept the fact that this is another DTV POS remote and go back to something that actually runs more than a DTV box.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, anyway.

Dave

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)