DIRECTV 11 - Launch now reported as March 9th - Update: Delivered to SeaLaunch (1/26)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Okay, I had D* installed at the end of October and my installer said we would be getting HD locals sometime in January. I live in Bloomington, IL. Is this the satellite that would be giving me my hd locals? I sincerely hope not!

yep. let me clarify, the bulk of hd lil will be coming off this bird. but dtv10 is also obviously capable of hd lil as well.

Last edited:
yep. let me clarify, the bulk of hd lil will be coming off this bird. but dtv10 is also obviously capable of hd lil as well.
My theory holds that DIRECTV doesn't have the backhaul capacity necessary to light up many more LIL markets. They've currently got enough downlink capacity for 1,000 LIL channels according to the plan (assuming that the DIRECTV 10 failures were as negligible as claimed). My math indicates that they have fewer than 400 up at this point (including RSNs).

Directv 11 Launch date

Any more updates on when DTV is going to get a launch date for Directv 11?

still no official updates at sea-launch.com tuesday morning either, although, other sites are reporting a january 14 or 15 thuaya 3 launch.

still no official updates at sea-launch.com tuesday morning either, although, other sites are reporting a january 14 or 15 thuaya 3 launch.
It would seem that if they haven't sailed yet, they're not going to make the 15th. Perhaps they have sailed and the website hasn't been updated.

doubtful.....

UPDATE 01/03........sea-launch.com now reporting a january 15 launch of thuraya 3!

Last edited:
"Long Beach, Calif., January 2, 2008 - The Odyssey Launch Platform and the Sea Launch Commander have departed Sea Launch Home Port, for the rescheduled Thuraya-3 mission. Liftoff is now planned for January 15, in a 44-minute launch window that opens at 3:49am Pacific Standard Time (11:49 GMT).

Following delays in November due to unusually strong currents at the launch site, Sea Launch has increased power and fuel capabilities on the Launch Platform and evaluated the use of existing margins on identified launch parameters - all of which are intended to enhance launch availability.

When the vessels arrive at the equatorial launch site, the team will ballast the platform to launch depth and perform a final series of tests on the launch system and the spacecraft. A 72-hour countdown will culminate in the launch of the 5,173 kg (11,381 lb) Thuraya-3 satellite to geosynchronous transfer orbit, on its way to a final orbital location of 98.5 degrees East Longitude. Sea Launch will provide live coverage of the Thuraya-3 mission via satellite and on its website, beginning at 3:30am PST (11:30 GMT) on January 15"
--------------------------------------------------------

Can someone tell me what his means for national HD channels? Or is this mainly for locals and PBS. thanks.

It means that when the next waves of HD channels become available (i.e. the entire HBO/Cinemax suite will be made available in HD later in '08) DirecTV will have the capacity to add them without ratcheting up the compression to HD-lite levels.

Too Long :D

I think it was about 75 days?

there were a few technical problems that set the original broadcast date back a week or two.......nothing major.

moonman, are you seeing anything on those rocket websites you visit, indicating dtv11 going up the first or second week in february, provided thuraya 3 is launched on the 15?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts