DIRECTV 11 - Launch now reported as March 9th - Update: Delivered to SeaLaunch (1/26)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
moonman, are you seeing anything on those rocket websites you visit, indicating dtv11 going up the first or second week in february, provided thuraya 3 is launched on the 15?

ice - I think you mean D11 will launch in March - not February. Correct?

Here are some links stating March liftoff:

Gunter's Space Page - Information on Launch vehicles, Satellites, Space Shuttle and Astronautics

Sea/Land Launch schedule - Viewing a thread

Satellite Launches - 2008 - LyngSat

Launches

Also, as D11 is really needed now more for letting them increase the HD lil rollout schedule (there aren't really any nationals to launch that they don't already have room for on D10), exactly what date in March doesn't seem to be too important as I see it - more important is getting Thuraya-3 off safely - then I am sure within 2 months is a pretty safe bet for D11.

sco, i read something earlier today which said february. i kinda did a double take which was why i posed the question about what other websites were saying.

i don't think sea-launch could turn around and launch a second rocket in 30 days. but thanks for providing the links.

Also, as D11 is really needed now more for letting them increase the HD lil rollout schedule (there aren't really any nationals to launch that they don't already have room for on D10),...

If there is still room on D10 to add more national HD channels then why is D* shutting down some PPVHD channels on the nights when they had game only regional RSN HD channels that have programming? Example, tonight ch 147 is down from 5:20PM CST until 11:pM, ch 176 goes down at 7:52PM until 1AM, 177 is down from 4:55PM until 11PM, ch 179 is down from 5:28PM until 11PM. That's 4 HD PPV channels that D* is shutting down that could be producing revenue, if they have bandwidth left then why shut these down?

Following delays in November due to unusually strong currents at the launch site, Sea Launch has increased power and fuel capabilities on the Launch Platform and evaluated the use of existing margins on identified launch parameters - all of which are intended to enhance launch availability.
That's encouraging. If you can't launch due to unsatisfactory conditions, lower your criteria until those conditions become satisfactory.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the way the DTV system works, it is the sum of HD programing airing at any specific time (not the number of HD channels) that is the main consideration. If I remember correctly it factors differently from the constraints that Dish works under. So possibly sometimes during peak HD (evening) hours things get a little tighter? (I'm posing this more as a question than a statement.)

Rad your point is very valid, but when they added Tennis HD and CSTV HD they didn't shut down any HD PPV channels then.

uncrules, true, forgot about those. I wonder then why they're shutting down some HD PPV's at night if they don't have a shortage of something somewhere?

[QUOTE
moonman, are you seeing anything on those rocket websites you visit, indicating dtv11 going up the first or second week in february, provided thuraya 3 is launched on the 15?[/QUOTE]
----------------
Given that there is a 7-8 week turn-around between launches, I can't see
DirecTV 11 launch until mid-late March. Now having said that, the command ship
is capable of carrying multiple rockets, however that would involve a mid-ocean
transfer of the vehicle. SeaLaunch has never attempted this to my knowledge,
however I did note that in their last PR, they stated that they had installed
extra fuel tanks etc.....I don't put much hope on a earlier launch..March is it.
Sorry...

Sea Launch is preparing for the launch of the Thuraya-3 mobile communications satellite on January 15. Liftoff is planned at the opening of a 44-minute window, at 3:49am Pacific Standard Time (11:49 GMT).

BROADCAST: SATELLITE TRANSMISSION SCHEDULE AND INFORMATION

Day of Air: Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Transmission Test: 3:00am – 3:30am PST / 0600 – 0630 EST / 1100 – 1130 GMT
Live Broadcast Starts: 3:30am PST / 06:30 am EST / 1130 GMT
Launch Window: 3:49am PST / 06:49 am EST / 1149 GMT
Live Broadcast Ends: 6:00am PST / 09:00am EST / 1400 GMT approx
VNR Playout: 6:15am PST / 09:15 am EST / 1415 GMT approx
Goodnight: 6:30am PST / 09:30 am EST / 1430 GMT approx
Sea Launch Webcam page

Satellite: Galaxy 11, Ku band Digital
Transponder: 19 (nineteen) Ku, SLOT B ( 9 MHZ)
Orbital Slot: 91 degrees West Longitude
Downlink Frequency: 12075.5 Mhz Horizontal
FEC: 3 / 4 Symbol Rate: 6.1113 4:2:0
Audios: Audio channel 1 / Audio channel 2 = Program Mix ( English)

Standard: 525 NTSC

WEBCAST:
Viewers around the world may view the launch of Thuraya-3 on our live webcast at:
Sea Launch Webcast

SATELLITE TRANSMISSION SUPPORT
For technical assistance or questions on the day of the launch, please contact the uplink truck at Sea Launch Home Port in Long Beach, California, at 562.951.7044 or 562.951.7045 after 12:30am PST / 3:30am EST / 830 GMT. At any time, you may contact our transmission coordinator, Barbara Sipes, at The Casey Company, 818.355.5747 or barbara@caseyco.com

Media Contact:
Paula Korn - 562.499.4729 or mobile phone at 562.254.5684, paula.korn@sea-launch.com

- During Launch Operations, please call our NEWS CENTER at 562.951.7088 or 562.951.7388

that's less than 60 days and from what i understand the quickest sea-launch has turned around a launch is like 62 days.

They would have to start pushing for quicker turn arounds to deal with the backlog and try to not loose customers to Russia though they have lost some launches already.

They would have to start pushing for quicker turn arounds to deal with the backlog and try to not loose customers to Russia though they have lost some launches already.

very true but seeing is believing and these people have given me no reason to believe until the rocket is actually launched.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)