directv 16

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Chip,

There is no way to change the LNB, this system is proprietary and made by Intellian systems. The entire LNB is proprietary with a secondary reflector incorporated into the LNB so the Positioner motor is not constantly operating when I'm moving. Secondly the actual size of the Dish is 24 inch, much to small for KA Band.

I have the Intellian I2 antenna, all of the Intellian "I" models come with a separate positioner/controller. The only way to upgrade to a KA capable unit is to replace the entire system. Currently the only Intellian KA systems are in the "S" model range. The s6HD is the least expensive, which carries a cost of $6,500 to $7,000. The big advantage to this unit is it tracks and receives signals from 101, 99 and 103 all at the same time and uses the DirecTV SWM system just like any home installation.

John

I realize I will have to replace D12 with a H24 (can't use a H25 as it is SWM only), I'd guess DirecTV will likely replace it for me, if not no problem. I'm just wondering what the available service will look like using only a KU antenna.
My view is that for one of the very reasons you would face in that subscriber market.

SD simulcasting on Ku is not really going away, but that DIRECTV intends to remove all Ku spotbeams and use SD with MPEG-4 compression with 8-PSK modulation on a total of 43 tps. (32@101°W and 11@119°W).

So I think that while you will eventually lose local channels on your boat, national SD programming will continue (once MPEG-2 legacy receivers like the D12 are replaced of course).

Ultimately it's all about "wait and see," but I would expect DIRECTV to start making some kind of announcement soon.

So much for rumors that ATT was getting DTV out of the satellite business in five years.

Reactions: Jimbo
Chip,

There is no way to change the LNB, this system is proprietary and made by Intellian systems. The entire LNB is proprietary with a secondary reflector incorporated into the LNB so the Positioner motor is not constantly operating when I'm moving. Secondly the actual size of the Dish is 24 inch, much to small for KA Band.

I have the Intellian I2 antenna, all of the Intellian "I" models come with a separate positioner/controller. The only way to upgrade to a KA capable unit is to replace the entire system. Currently the only Intellian KA systems are in the "S" model range. The s6HD is the least expensive, which carries a cost of $6,500 to $7,000. The big advantage to this unit is it tracks and receives signals from 101, 99 and 103 all at the same time and uses the DirecTV SWM system just like any home installation.

John

In what way is 24 inches "much too small" for Ka band? Maybe you should measure the height of the Slimline, and consider that its full width is more about covering a wide arc than pulling in more signal. All else being equal, half the dish area costs 3db in signal margin, so even an 18" round dish would be fine for Ka - OK you might have clear sky Ka readings in the mid 80s instead of mid-high 90s so rain fade would happen a little bit more often but that would be a perfectly adequate tradeoff considering the space limitations in RV/boat installs. I have no idea what the plans are for companies like Intellian, but there's obviously going to be a market for Directv customers wanting an upgrade which someone will satisfy.

Ultimately it's all about "wait and see," but I would expect DIRECTV to start making some kind of announcement soon.

I agree, they will need to provide a lot of leadtime, maybe there will be an official announcement at their yearly Revolution conference (April/May timeframe I think?) to dealers and then they'll start contacting customers. Hopefully there will be more clarity then, and options from third parties for RV/boat customers will start to be announced.

I agree, they will need to provide a lot of leadtime, maybe there will be an official announcement at their yearly Revolution conference (April/May timeframe I think?) to dealers and then they'll start contacting customers. Hopefully there will be more clarity then, and options from third parties for RV/boat customers will start to be announced.

they already said sd is gone @ 2019. so assume the switch will be then. and plan accordingly

In what way is 24 inches "much too small" for Ka band? Maybe you should measure the height of the Slimline.

The Intellian I2 Dish is a Tiny Radome. I apparently got the dimensions wrong. The entire Dish reflector is 13 inches, which is much to small for KA, sorry for the confusion. I knew it was way to small for KA, I just had dimensions wrong, the measurements are translated from Metric and I totally screwed that up.

they already said sd is gone @ 2019. so assume the switch will be then. and plan accordingly

Well of course, that we know. But is it Jan. 1 2019 or Dec. 31 2019? Given that they haven't even starting notifying SD only customers yet safe to say it will be closer to the latter than the former, but other questions remain. Will 119 go away like Stuart says or will they continue to use it for something? If 119 goes away does the Slimline get replaced by a smaller round dish since there's no longer a need to receive a wide arc? What hardware will they provide as replacements for SD receivers? Will it just be MPEG2 SD gear that is obsoleted, or will there be other changes that go along with it - like perhaps ending support for legacy mode since all remaining hardware will be SWM capable?

Isn't the whole point of the 5D2RB LNB to get 119? Which LNB is currently being installed the 5D2RB or 3D2RB?
Mostly the 3D2RB, except in cases where a subscriber needs something from the 119°W bird. Such as Spanish or other foreign language programming. Or perhaps has an HD installation with SD locals of 119°W and has some old legacy SD receivers.

Or in my weird situation, with a sister who loves the Holidays & Happenings music channel which DIRECTV stupidly keeps on the 119°W, needs the 5D2RB.

Reactions: pattykay and Jimbo
Isn't the whole point of the 5D2RB LNB to get 119? Which LNB is currently being installed the 5D2RB or 3D2RB?

They have to provide a way to receive 119 as long as it is in use. If 119 goes away they'll quit making the 5D2RB, but until then they'll have to keep supplying/installing them for customers who want to watch programming from 119.

They have to provide a way to receive 119 as long as it is in use. If 119 goes away they'll quit making the 5D2RB, but until then they'll have to keep supplying/installing them for customers who want to watch programming from 119.
Till they start moving stuff off Sats and on to the 101 (after the MPEG 2 discontinuation ) ....
Heres hoping they move whats on the 119 to the 101.
Then I can once again pick up my locals (from where I'm going to) when I'm out of town ...

Till they start moving stuff off Sats and on to the 101 (after the MPEG 2 discontinuation ) ....
Heres hoping they move whats on the 119 to the 101.
Then I can once again pick up my locals (from where I'm going to) when I'm out of town ...

Why would moving stuff to 101 allow you to pick up your locals? All the spot beams on 101 and 119 will simply be shut off, and the ones on 99/103 will be the only spot beams remaining so it won't change your situation with picking up locals in any way.

Why would moving stuff to 101 allow you to pick up your locals? All the spot beams on 101 and 119 will simply be shut off, and the ones on 99/103 will be the only spot beams remaining so it won't change your situation with picking up locals in any way.
And where does the SD locals show up at then ?

The HD locals are on Sat 99, while the SD ones are on the 119.
If they move stuff off the 119, why would they not put it on the soon to be available 101.

And where does the SD locals show up at then ?

The HD locals are on Sat 99, while the SD ones are on the 119.
If they move stuff off the 119, why would they not put it on the soon to be available 101.
They may make only the hd versions available since theoretically everyone will have mpeg4 boxes by then.

They may make only the hd versions available since theoretically everyone will have mpeg4 boxes by then.
Thats fine, except if they keep it on the 99 and 103, I guess I'll be out of luck for locals all together when I'm vacationing.
I was hoping they would throw more stuff on the 101 .... doesn't matter if its HD or SD as long as its on the 101.
The Directv Quest only sees the 101.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)