DirecTV-2-PC Public Beta

Status
Please reply by conversation.
See line 4 of my initial post.

I'd seen where he had "stumbled" upon it as well. I scoured the web site and couldn't find it anywhere.

In reading through the posts over there, you'll see that to use the software, you'll need to be HDCP compliant. I think a bare minimum on video may require a DVI connection.

A decent video card is probably more important than your processor, but the processor you listed there should be good.

This is probably the best Directv news I've heard in a while. I don't have an HDTV so I record quite a bit OTA HD content on my PC and watch it later either on it or on my laptop. In fact, I only watch local stations over the air because I want the HD. This will definitely entice me to upgrade to the HD signal and DVR so I can enjoy more HD content before I finally spring for the TV.

This is what i have

Specifications

clearpixel.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
RAMDAC: Dual 400 MHz
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Additional Features: Vista Ready
HDCP Enabled
HDTV Ready
SLI Ready
OpenGL 2.0
DirectX 10
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600 (Digital)
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Video Memory: 512MB
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Memory Type: DDR2
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Core Clock: 540 MHz
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Memory Interface: 128-bit
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Memory Clock: 800 MHz
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Memory Bandwidth: 12.8GB/sec.
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Interface Type: PCI Express
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Interface Speed: x16
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Connector(s): DVI
VGA (15-Pin D-Sub)
HDTV/S-Video

Plus 2gb of DDR2 667 memory

I don't have an issue with playing Media files on my Dual Core 1.81GHZ or AMD 3500+ Dual Core. The thing that taxes a Processor into over load is a tuner card. I watch HD Vids off of I tunes and my processor is not work to much nor off of any websites. I go to the Hauppage 950Q and start up a OTA HD Channel and it is maxes out. I kicked on the Vikes/Lions game on my laptop and it ran the hell out of the processor.

We'll see how this goes. I have had so-so luck with Cyperlink and my JVC Everio.

It would be cool if we could install the software on our other DVR's in the home. It would be like Whole Home DVR service from 1 primary DVR. I'm gonna check this out tonight when I get home from work.

If you're part of the CE process I'd recommend that you keep an eye out for a feature called Multi Room Viewing (MRV). It's rumored that the capability of allowing a HD DVR to view recorded content on another HD DVR that's ethernet attached is something that is in the works, it's supposed to be an extension of the Media Share function that's in the HD DVR's now. First you had the HD DVR viewing content from a PC, then a PC viewing content from a HD DVR, the hoped for next step is HD DVR viewing content on another HD DVR.

Rey_1178, overall it sounds like you have more horse power in than my laptop does and it does great most of the time so you should be fine as well.

Big Dawg 23, I have the Hauppage 950 and I see some of the same things for processor usage on my computer while watching live TV. The issue is that the USB tuners have software encoders so the processor has to do all that work. If you have an internal card that did hardware encoding it probably wouldn't be an issue. I haven't looked at my processor usage while watching a pre recorded HD show on my laptop, but I'll look at that tonight.

Is that "other" satellite company ever going to have any cool features like this or the online scheduling? Yet another reason to switch to D*. :(

I agree! We other guys never get the cool stuff! They can't even get the online DVR scheduling up and running, and I know D* has had this for some time now. Too bad I just signed another 24 month contract!

Just looked at my PC and I have the following:

Make: HP
Model: M9340f
Processor: Intel Dual Core2 Quad Q6700
Speed: 2.66Ghz (2.67Ghz)
Ram: 6Gig
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS
Dedicated Memory: 512Mb
Rating: 5.5

If you're part of the CE process I'd recommend that you keep an eye out for a feature called Multi Room Viewing (MRV). It's rumored that the capability of allowing a HD DVR to view recorded content on another HD DVR that's ethernet attached is something that is in the works, it's supposed to be an extension of the Media Share function that's in the HD DVR's now. First you had the HD DVR viewing content from a PC, then a PC viewing content from a HD DVR, the hoped for next step is HD DVR viewing content on another HD DVR.

I like the sound of it, however there is benefit for the current Directv2pc approach, in that you don't need to add more HDDVRs, therefore saving the extra receiver fee, that is if you already have a decent PC to do the work. Not to mention no one knows when true MRV will be available.

If so then my next question is anyone tried to hook up the PC to an HD set and sound system to playback true HD yet? Or is this even possible?

Rey_1178, overall it sounds like you have more horse power in than my laptop does and it does great most of the time so you should be fine as well.

Big Dawg 23, I have the Hauppage 950 and I see some of the same things for processor usage on my computer while watching live TV. The issue is that the USB tuners have software encoders so the processor has to do all that work. If you have an internal card that did hardware encoding it probably wouldn't be an issue. I haven't looked at my processor usage while watching a pre recorded HD show on my laptop, but I'll look at that tonight.

Thanks for the help :up

Does the "HD DVR viewing content from a PC" feature require special software? Is there a page that describes this on D*'s website? I was not able to find anything.

thanks,
-Scott

First you had the HD DVR viewing content from a PC, then a PC viewing content from a HD DVR, the hoped for next step is HD DVR viewing content on another HD DVR.

That would explain why the HR22 has two ethernet ports.

This has been out for a few months now in the CE program. I know there are very large threads on DBSTalk about it with tons of details, I'm sure there are some here as well.

The page linked above is obviously a placeholder while they get ready to roll this out but it's not available to the public yet, only in the CE program. But the page actually being there must mean they are close to releasing it. I'd guess it will be marked "beta" similar to how the DirecTV On Demand was listed as beta for a long time.

That would explain why the HR22 has two ethernet ports.

The second ethernet port on the HR21/HR22 (and whatever else) is only a pass though port so you can connect some other ethernet device to that port and it passes through the box to your network. This is so folks don't need to buy a hub/switch to add a HD DVR to their network if it's being connected someplace that has something connected already.

Might look over at the Cyberlink site for a recent Release. HDTV Magazine just circulated one similar to this offering.

OK I get it. This is the media share feature of the HR22 which requires an Intel Viiv PC. Do you have to have the Intel Viiv software or can you use any DLNA server?

Does the "HD DVR viewing content from a PC" feature require special software? Is there a page that describes this on D*'s website? I was not able to find anything.

thanks,
-Scott
It's called Media Share, look on this page, [Cached:12:38-14:38]DIRECTV Forums - Customers share tech advice on HD..DVR..remotes where there's a section about it. Don't be put off by all the mentions of ViiV, not needed, any PC with Windows Media Play V11 (or other software) will work. There's info on this site or DBSTalk about how to set up these other packages.

And Media Share also works on Macs. Just have to have the right server software running on your computer. I think some have even got it working on Linux. This DirecTV 2 PC though is just for the PC.

It also does not mention PC requirement for HD viewing.

For starters I'd check out Cyberlink's site and download their BDAdvisor. It will check your hardware and software for HD (primarily Blu-ray) capability. Some already streaming HD sites state some standards too.

XP on a P4 3.2, 1gb RAM, and a HDCP capable video card will minimally do it.

Plus, you'll a DD 5.1 capable sound card or a not downcoded s/pdif digital passthrough to an amplifier to get channel sound too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts