Directv 4K live channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not at this time, a regular Ku/Ka LNB will work just fine. No date announced yet when any of the 4K stuff will need the RDBS LNB.

just get one, and do it when you have time

better now, then when winter get here

The Hr54 is showing 7 Tuners but only 5 active.

I did a job last week with a reverse band Lnb and the other 2 tuners got a signal.

I wonder if it will let me record 7 thinks?

Might change the Lnb after all

No, it won't let you record 7. If you have the reverse band lnb it will show a few active transponders on 99cr and one on 103cr (although this one comes and goes, I assume it's some form of test) but there is no programming.

The Hr54 is showing 7 Tuners but only 5 active.

I did a job last week with a reverse band Lnb and the other 2 tuners got a signal.

I wonder if it will let me record 7 thinks?

Might change the Lnb after all

I wondered if the extra tuners had something to do with the streaming/downloading of content. Not sure what the process they are using is to convert content for viewing on a mobile device, but this suggests it might require some non-viewable playback as part of the transcoding process:

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4763/

This is how many products get around DRM.

No, it's believed they have something to do with transponder bonding for future 4K. That's why they are only on the Hr54.

I would put it in now so you dont have to do it later. I am waiting on a solution to come down on how to integrate internationals. Once that happens I need to order a RB LNB and said solution.

If the installer has a reverse band LNB then get it installed. But if he doesn't, just get a regular 13 channel LNB for the moment.

I also had a 4k upgrade today as part of my movers deal. I was upgraded to a new dish with the RB LNB, HR54, and had them install two Samsung KS8000 2016 4k RVU TVs.

The first thing the installer did was discuss changing to client C61k instead of using RVU. I shared that I had read/discussed with 3 people using the 2016 Samsung on RVU and they are satisfied. In fact one has a RVU and a C61k and said they are almost the same but the RVU being slightly faster (which is hard to believe).

I'm happy to report that I am impressed and quite satisfied with the RVU setup. The interface response is adequate and comparable to the client box (slightly slower than the genie). Like the client boxes the UI seems to be standard def graphics. The channel changing and starting of playback is comparable to a client and starts most things in 2-3 seconds. Slower than the Genie but functional.

I like that with it integrated into the TV everything is native resolution without really delaying for the receiver/TV to change resolutions. It seems to flow between resolution changes (including 4k) pretty well.

The RC73 remote works well and operates just like on the client/genie.

I am glad I went with the RVU setup, it is smooth and no client box. So far it operates just as well as my C51 did.

I received a HR54 upgrade, free HBO/Max for 3 months, and free Sunday Ticket Max for 2016 as part of a mover's deal as we bought a new home and moved recently. They did offer C61k boxes for free, but I really wanted to try the RVU on these new TVs and they did not have an option to do that install for free. They did give me one free, so I paid $49 for the two RVU installs. The RVU install is essentially connecting a broadband DECA to the wired ethernet port on the TV and activating it as a client box. I could have done this myself, but many customers could not, and I understand why they require installation for RVU.

I did watch a replay of the Olympic basketball game from yesterday for a few minutes and the picture was spectacular. I feel like it is 2006 again and I'm anxiously awaiting the launch of additional HD channels, but now 4K. I would imagine that ESPN and HBO may be some leaders in this, but haven't ready anything about them moving into live 4k broadcast. Lastly I would share that 4k is working with my Xtra package, and I hope it stays this way as I have no interest in Ultimate and would likely end up going back and forth when there is live 4k programming I want to watch. Requiring Ultimate is a ridiculous requirement and I hope DirecTV reconsiders this decision.

Reactions: tigerfan33
Does 4K mean $4,000 for the TV?.:) Paid half of that when I bought my first 40 inch Sony HD set about 7 years ago, Now they are priced under $600.00!. It's good that DirecTV is stepping up to the plate adding more 4K programming and with reverse band technology gives them more bandwidth to do so. When the Sony finally decides to quit, then it's a 4K tv all the way.

Does 4K mean $4,000 for the TV?.:) Paid half of that when I bought my first 40 inch Sony HD set about 7 years ago, Now they are priced under $600.00!. It's good that DirecTV is stepping up to the plate adding more 4K programming and with reverse band technology gives them more bandwidth to do so. When the Sony finally decides to quit, then it's a 4K tv all the way.

Ha! It can. I paid about half of that for my 70" Sony UHD set last year. The good ones always seem to cost a lot.

I see Samsung has at least 6 models of their 65 inch HDTV. From 1300 dollars to 3800 dollars. Some just 1080, some 4K, some 2015, some 2016 models, and some curved screen. Lots of choices in just Samsung.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)