DirecTV - adding new receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prikindel

Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
US
Hi there!

I have a DirecTV antenna (the big one, for international programming), and 2 receivers. Now I want to add a new receiver. I see that there are 2 slots still available, so technically I can just buy a receiver from Best Buy and run the cable by myself.

I wonder what are pros and cons of doing the work myself vs asking for a DirecTV installer to come in. Are there any issues I could run into when activating the new receiver?

Also, as far as I understand, if I buy the box, then I won't have to jump to the new contract, and if DirecTV ships the box, or an installer comes in, then it's free but with a new contract, is that true?

Any suggestions are welcomed :)

When you get the box from Best Buy you're just paying the upfront lease cost, you don't own the box. The advantage is that you are getting a brand new box, not a used/refurbished box from DIRECTV. When you call DIRECTV to activate the new box you will have a new 2 year contract for activating the box. It doesn't matter whether you install it or have a DIRECTV installer come to install it.

are you sure that it's 2 years? When I signed up for their service in Nov 2008 it was a 1-year contract. Also I heard that a new contract is when you upgrade the service, is tha true? In my case I will only be adding a new box, in addition to 2 boxes I already have, so technically it's not a service upgrade

Never heard of a 1 yr. Everything that I heard and read says adding a receiver means you now have a new 2 yr deal....Lucky you

are you sure that it's 2 years? When I signed up for their service in Nov 2008 it was a 1-year contract. Also I heard that a new contract is when you upgrade the service, is tha true? In my case I will only be adding a new box, in addition to 2 boxes I already have, so technically it's not a service upgrade

I would have guessed that your promotion deal was for one year. But the overall contract would be for two. That was\is the case with me any how.

Last edited:
I recall that basic receivers (D11, D12, etc.) have a shorter contract than DVRs or HD receivers. It was 12 months but I think it was changed to 18 months a few years ago.

wow I guess I was lucky to get 1 year then. But what about simple adding another basic receiver? Is it really considered an upgrade and therefore means new contract? Are you guys sure about that?

Is that still the case, even if you have the "Protection Plan"?

The protection plan has nothing to do with it.

The protection plan covers replacing bad receivers, dish re-alignment, cableing problems. It doesn't protect you from 2-year contract extensions.

The protection plan has nothing to do with it.

The protection plan covers replacing bad receivers, dish re-alignment, cableing problems. It doesn't protect you from 2-year contract extensions.

WAIT A MINUTE!

Directv charges techs for any...ANY calls to Directv within 90 days. They back charge techs for failed receivers,,,,,defective LNBs........burned multiswitches .........customer caused defects like hitting the dish with the lawn mower (low low pole mount).

So they continue to hit the tech paycheck for two years? Do techs ever quit or run their ass into court over this issue?

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts