DIRECTV Airing More Shows In 4K & HDR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
DIRECTV has unveiled a new schedule of 4K programs and they include four more programs in both 4K and HDR.

AT&T, which owns DIRECTV, said last month that the satellite TV service will air 13 NBA games in 4K HDR this season, starting with the Cleveland Cavaliers-Milwaukee Bucks game on December 19. (HDR, which stands for High Dynamic Range, can add more vivid and realistic colors to a 4K broadcast as well as greater contrast.)

DIRECTV Airing More Shows In 4K & HDR - The TV Answer Man!

Reactions: AZ.
DIRECTV has unveiled a new schedule of 4K programs and they include four more programs in both 4K and HDR.

AT&T, which owns DIRECTV, said last month that the satellite TV service will air 13 NBA games in 4K HDR this season, starting with the Cleveland Cavaliers-Milwaukee Bucks game on December 19. (HDR, which stands for High Dynamic Range, can add more vivid and realistic colors to a 4K broadcast as well as greater contrast.)

DIRECTV Airing More Shows In 4K & HDR - The TV Answer Man!
It would be nice to hear that they are showing the Nation Championship Game as well as the NFL Playoffs, At least the Super Bowl In 4k.

The Olympics, Daytona 500 ect ....
Theres a lot of more important things to be showing other than regular season nba games.
Its nice that they are, but they can invest thier time in high profile games if they decided too.

You act like they have ANY say in the matter. They can only show what the networks provide, and there's no way you'll see anything on broadcast TV in 4K for quite some time for obvious reasons ($$$)

You act like they have ANY say in the matter. They can only show what the networks provide, and there's no way you'll see anything on broadcast TV in 4K for quite some time for obvious reasons ($$$)
You make a good point.

That said, you know that the items I mentioned WILL be shot in 4k, but your right it's on the Network that has the broadcast rights.

It's not just the networks, it's really the affiliates. They pay the networks for exclusive rights and then charge local advertisers.

The networks would need to negotiate with every affiliate in the country. The chances of seeing live network programming is practically zero for the foreseeable future.

So that's a big fat no for 4K Olympic coverage? Thought there were rumors circulating about this.

There was delayed 4K coverage of some events during the last Summer Olympics on Channel 106, so why should we not expect the same for the upcoming Winter games?

South Korea has already deployed ATSC 3.0 and broadcasters have full time 4K channels, although much of the content is still HD upscaled to 4k. Koreans will be able to view the Olympics live in 4K. Hopefully Directv works out an agreement with both the Korean broadcasters and with NBC to be allowed to rebroadcast some of that 4K content. Most likely delayed again, not live.

I still have my DVR recording of the Summer Olympics opening ceremonies in 4K. Guests are in awe when I play it back for them.

Reactions: longhorn23
I still have a lot of the Summer olympics in 4k on my DVR. Takes up most of the space on my DVR. It's still the best live 4k content and maybe even 4k content in general I've ever seen. I remember reading it was recorded in 8k and downconverted to 4k for directv. The summer Olympics in 4k was the reason I switched to directv in the first place.

There was delayed 4K coverage of some events during the last Summer Olympics on Channel 106, so why should we not expect the same for the upcoming Winter games?

South Korea has already deployed ATSC 3.0 and broadcasters have full time 4K channels, although much of the content is still HD upscaled to 4k. Koreans will be able to view the Olympics live in 4K. Hopefully Directv works out an agreement with both the Korean broadcasters and with NBC to be allowed to rebroadcast some of that 4K content. Most likely delayed again, not live.

I still have my DVR recording of the Summer Olympics opening ceremonies in 4K. Guests are in awe when I play it back for them.

Can’t wait till they start doing the stations in 4K which I don’t see u til late spring into muddle if summer at the earliest imo

Can’t wait till they start doing the stations in 4K which I don’t see u til late spring into muddle if summer at the earliest imo

"Doing the stations"? If you mean locals in 4K, I'm sorry to disappoint you but you will NEVER see locals in 4K on Directv. They'd need to massively expand their spot beam capacity to do that.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
"Doing the stations"? If you mean locals in 4K, I'm sorry to disappoint you but you will NEVER see locals in 4K on Directv. They'd need to massively expand their spot beam capacity to do that.
I was saying the the stations other than the locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts