DirecTV and Sirius Sat Radio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fubarmubble

Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Can I use a combiner to send Sirius and DirecTV signals from attic down a common RG cable then a splitter at the receivers? I have the Slimline TV antenna - 5LNB with Ka and Ku bands.

Sirius DBS

I checked out that model, but it says not for HD satellite reception and refers me to a model that includes the Sirius outdoor antenna which I already have. Are the splitter/combiners different?

I'm Droo and I happen to work for TSS Radio. I'm the guy who people get when they email Sales.

The OP is correct. The old DBS Combiner is not for HD setups and we've priced them really low because they are made for the old Outdoor Home Antenna (with the SMA connector), but also because most people are going to want (or already have) HD setups.

The new Home Signal Distribution Kit with DBS Combiner supports HD satellite setups from DirecTV and Dish Network. Basically they moved the frequency range so it wouldn't collide with some of the new single wire and multiswitch schemes.

Sirius Home Signal Distribution Kit with DBS Combiner

The important thing is to check out the manual. You must install the splitter and combiner on the same continuous run. In other words, you can't have multiswitches, splitters, etc. in between. The manual gives a bunch of pages of potential installation scenarios.

Here is a link to the manual.
http://www.sirius.com/pdf/manuals/14255_install_guide.pdf

I have had the HSD/DBS setup with my DishHD 2 dish setup for a few years. It works very well, but the indoor splitter does need a power outlet handy.

Thanks - then you need not reply to the email message I sent to TSS yesterday regarding this same issue. I have ordered the kit - even though I already have the outdoor antenna and all mounting hardware - it's a shame they don't offer an upgrade kit of the diplexers, adapter cable, and power converter.
Again - I thank you!

No problem at all. I think I replied to your message sometime yesterday.

I think the reason why they no longer offer the DBS Combiner kit separately is to reduce cost, complexity and (subsequently) returns. The only thing that's needed with the HSD/DBS Kit is the RG-6 / F Connector cables. The people that would benefit from a DBS kit without an antenna would be the HSD, HSD/Cable customers or the PRO500/600 customers. We really don't suggest people use the flip-up antenna for fixed/permanent installs.

For instance, if you have the older Outdoor Home Antenna that came with a 30 foot cable, it uses a SMA style cable at the antenna head. You would basically need a SMA to F or SMA to SMB cable (and then use the F to SMB adapter and a RG-6 dongle). I think this would still ultimately be more complex (and expensive). You would also have to weatherproof everything if you intended to use the combiner outside, adapters and all.

When the old DBS Combiner came out, it was 79.99, plus the cost of the antenna (59.99). I'm glad this solution took a sharp drop in price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)