DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a standard definition 80-hour Tivo DVR. The only reason I got it (and switched to cable) is because I wanted to make it easy on myself to transfer recorded TV shows from the DVR to my PC. A nice plus is that I can schedule recordings online.

Other than that, I'm not as passionate as others are about Tivo's features. I find that Tivo is fairly slow changing channels. The parental locks are not particularly great IMO. I used to have a Dish DVR (522 I believe was the model), and the parental locks worked great. If I locked a particular channel or a particular rating, it would ask for a code. After entering the code, you can watch that show. Once that show is over, you'll need the code again. Not so with the Tivo DVR. Once you unlock the parental locks, it stays that way 4 hours after the last use of the remote control. That, to me, is not good.

The dual tuner feature is fairly weak, as one of the tuners will be good up to channel 100. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

The video quality of the recording on the Tivo (even at best quality) just didn't seem to be as sharp as the Dish DVR.

Monthly fee for Tivo DVR is pricier too.

In general, I'm a reluctant Tivo/cable user.

With the new DirecTV / Tivo coming up next year, I'm guessing the restrictions on HD recordings being transferred to the PC will continue (premium channels like HBO won't be able to be transferred).

Tivo

I have had TiVo for almost four years now. Starting with the Series 2 single tuner and now I have TiVo HD. Alas, next Friday I will be switching over to DirecTV and using the HR20 or HR21, which ever one they bring me. I am really curious to see how different both of the boxes are and how long it takes me to hate it. Unfortunately our cable here is not any good and I am addicted to HD.

I have had TiVo for almost four years now. Starting with the Series 2 single tuner and now I have TiVo HD. Alas, next Friday I will be switching over to DirecTV and using the HR20 or HR21, which ever one they bring me. I am really curious to see how different both of the boxes are and how long it takes me to hate it. Unfortunately our cable here is not any good and I am addicted to HD.

It's very nice that you have yourself talked into hating th HR series already.

He's not going to talk himself into hating the HR , That will come natural.:p

Come on Hemi. You know that there are many many people out there that do like the HR series. Just as in any product there will be a learning experience.

Come on Hemi. You know that there are many many people out there that do like the HR series. Just as in any product there will be a learning experience.
While I appreciate the humor in Hemis post, I agree with Jagz. There will always be people that wont give something different a chance, or will hate it becaue "joe" does. Not saying thats the case with this guy, but it happens alot.

Yes hemi, I know your circumstances and experience with the HR are different:)

If they can make a Tivo Directv unit that record 4 shows at once via one Satelllite Cable Connection hookup
or at least record 4 show via split over 2 tuners
You need four tuners to record four shows. You cannot synthesize or fake it with only two.
And lets not forget OTA intergrated
That's been out of the question for about a year now.

Time for the daily reminder that the new DirecTiVo experience will be built on the HR2x platform, not any of the existing TiVo hardware bases or some not-yet-seen platform. That means that it will likely come with many of the same limitations that the current HR2x have in terms of simultaneous recording and processing power (both CPU and video).

No, I haven't already decided to hate it. I just know there is going to be a learning curve. The only DVR I have ever used is a TiVo. I have had one for about four years. The only reason I said I may not like the HR is because after doing research on it more people dislike the HR than the TiVo. The main reason I switched is more HD and On-Demand so if that works well. I wouldn't have any reason to disklike the HR.

No, I haven't already decided to hate it. I just know there is going to be a learning curve. The only DVR I have ever used is a TiVo. I have had one for about four years. The only reason I said I may not like the HR is because after doing research on it more people dislike the HR than the TiVo. The main reason I switched is more HD and On-Demand so if that works well. I wouldn't have any reason to disklike the HR.

Just remember that it is not a Tivo. The only real issue that I have had with mine is that the channel changing and guide can be a little slower than most DVR's but it is getting better with every software release. If you can get buy this then it is a pretty good DVR.

I have both the HR10 and the HR20. When I got the HR20 I had an open mind and with the various firmware updates to it, it has become a very reliable unit for me. The only functionality I wish it would have is DLB. Let's hope this new box has DLB.

The press release does imply that the TiVo UI could be ported to the HR2x units.

While I appreciate the humor in Hemis post, I agree with Jagz. There will always be people that wont give something different a chance, or will hate it becaue "joe" does. Not saying thats the case with this guy, but it happens alot.

Yes hemi, I know your circumstances and experience with the HR are different:)

Have you ever tried the HR21/AM21? What a backwards way of doing things! I suppose people who "claim" to have problems with that are blowing things out of preportion also? Until you have, please dont act like he has unjustified reasons for the comments he's made concerning the problems he's had with Directv equipment. We all know how you feel about that.

Have you ever tried the HR21/AM21? What a backwards way of doing things! I suppose people who "claim" to have problems with that are blowing things out of preportion also? Until you have, please dont act like he has unjustified reasons for the comments he's made concerning the problems he's had with Directv equipment. We all know how you feel about that.
No, I havent tried THAT particular box. However dont try to act like some people ONLY say that combination sucks without ever having tried it. I have heard plenty of posturing from people who have never seen an HR-20 OR 21.

By the way, I think Hemi understands I wasnt giving him a particular hard time about his problems, and I NEVER called his reasons unjustified.

Well I have never had Tivo.So I had to find out where all this Tivo Love was coming from.So I purchased a used HR10-250(Always check the Receiver ID and Access Card ID with DirecTV).I can now see the why and how of the problem.The graphics look like 3D,DLB is awesome and I don't like sports or watch sports that much I can see now why so many miss this feature.Is the HR10-250 slow?.I find the speed to be very close to the R22-100 I also use.

The only difference I find besides the HR10-250 missing Broadband Access/MPEG4/PIG/Hard Drive space remaining meter/CallerID is the HR10 guide doesn't have First Air Date.So I am looking forward to the reviews of the new DirecTivo and when I switch to HD it will be a DirecTivo.:)

Last edited:
The only real issue that I have had with mine is that the channel changing and guide can be a little slower than most DVR's but it is getting better with every software release. .
A little slower?? Now You com'on! HR 2x's are the slowest channel surfer boxes on the planet.
Anyone who thinks a Tivo is slow, Better not set foot near a HR 2X DVRS.:(
D* can't even perfect an SD DVR. I hope the R-22 is is way better then the same old R-16.
D* has the best looking STB's hands down. I'll Give D* that much.:)

Last edited:
Thank you. I simply meant your problems are well documented, and I understand your POV when it comes to the HR. I havent had said problems, but I dont doubt that you did.

Edit: dont know why the system put that quote in my response, not the one I used.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts