DirecTv and TiVo

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I used to be able to do a quick search of upcoming movies and set the TiVo to record them. With the HR20, I have to weed through 10,000 movies on 1,000 channels that I don't get.

This is another example of what I mean when I say "content discovery". Being able to record a show I cannot find does not help me. While it is possible that, given enough time, an HR20/21 can add all the features that TiVo has, but would it not be better to just let us buy (even just as an option) real TiVo DVRs?

- Alan

Just Switch

PVR4me... all you are doing is arguing why you would choose TIVO over D* DVR's. You must have given at LEAST 20 reasons now. I think your answer is clear. You obviously want nothing but TIVO and D* has ended it's relationship with TIVO. D* will support the old D*TIVO boxes, but that's it. I think you have your answer. Everyone who responded probably had TIVO before and tried to tell you give it a try. You ask for help, then you argue with the answer. So... just switch. If you aren't willing to try the HR20/21, switch. Your HR10-250 will never receive the new channels, so don't waste your time waiting to see if D* will eventually change their mind. The rest of us will be happy to have what you call a "lesser" DVR, which is your opinion, not fact, and, in return, have MORE HD. To each is own.

By the way, the pic quality you see on HD is on the MPEG2 HD channels that your HR10-250 can see. The MPEG4 streams look 1000 times better.

but would it not be better to just let us buy (even just as an option) real TiVo DVRs?

- Alan

Who is stopping you from getting a "real" TiVo, Alan? There's a Blue Moon special TiVo is running to celebrate the anniversary of their launch and it includes a TiVo HD, Lifetime Service, wireless network adapter, and plush doll. Since the only way to get the MPEG 4 HD channels is with a DIRECTV DVR and you don't want to do that, why deny yourself HD recording? Switch to cable, OTA, or FIOS, if it's available, and you'll have your "real" TiVo. Oh, and if you go cable, hope and pray that the SDV dongle is released in Q3 this year.

Me personally, I feel sorry for folks that limit themselves to one DVR platform. Oh, I've used TiVos, both standalone and DIRECTV-integrated, but I won't let a DVR platform determine who provides my programming. Now, if TiVo could/would deliver programming to go along with the DVR at a reasonable rate with a good selection of HD, I'd consider them. But, they can't/won't and my two deciding factors for a provider are programming and price. DIRECTV fulfills that and I'm quite happy with them. I can understand why they want one interface and don't want TiVo to be part of it.

I do agree that you obviously want Tivo first so as suggested get the deal on a Tivo HD and get cable or Fios and be happy. No reason to not be happy.

People who want useful features.

Like what. Again, 95% (if not 99%) of people will never use the non-DVR features, in fact many don't even use all the DVR features. I know quite a few DVR owners that do nothing but pause live TV with it, they don't even record their programs. You try to explain what they can do with it and they glaze over and just say they watch their programs live because that's all they know for the past 30 years. :rolleyes:

How about Amazon Unbox with its ability to give one truly on-demand content, or Rhapsody for Music.

Easily done with Media Share on an HR20/21. I can listen to my thousands of MP3's or stream Internet radio stations. I can also watch You Tube videos and watch any online TV shows or movies I have downloaded. Quite easy actually.

TiVo service is not more important than content, but it is the ability to discover content, not just record things about which you already knew that makes a DVR useful. TiVo suggestions and Swivel Search both function to find new content to watch.

I don't have a problem. In fact I can log on to my DirecTV account (say at work when I'm bored) and do all kinds of searches in the online guide and get suggestions like you get with Netflix and I can schedule anything I find to record with a click of the button via remote scheduling. Yea, no suggestions on the box itself but then that's a Tivo thing that nobody else can copy probably due to patent issues.

In addition, Amazon Unbox also provides a great deal of (commercial free) content.

Already stated that I can watch tons of commercial free online content already. Don't need Amazon Unbox. DirecTV also has dozens and dozens of VOD channels to which you can download programs. I'm pretty sure I could also view Amazon Unbox using the Windows Media extender, although I don't use Unbox so can't say for sure.

Most people do not read these forums, do not have HD and do not have any DVR. For them moving from no DVR to any DVR is an improvement. That does not mean that they would not prefer a better DVR experience, nor that we should be satisfied with DirecTv simply because they have given us something.

First off, over 30 million people have a DVR and that should be 40 million by year's end. Of that less then 4 million are Tivo. So believe me that a LOT of people have a DVR and have never used a Tivo.
I agree we should want a better DVR experience but guess what, to me I prefer the DVR experience I get from DirecTV then that I got from Tivo. The GUI/menu's are faster and easier to find things and make more sense. But again, that's *me*. You prefer the Tivo UI. And in the end it is all *personal preference*. But just because you prefer the Tivo UI doesn't make all others bad. ;)

DirecTv has dropped its quality through too much compression

Obviously you haven't seen any of the MPEG4 HD.

Again, you have options to keep using Tivo, I'd suggest you be happy and make the jump.

I have several friends who could afford it, but none who have it. :) I cannot imagine that it would be worth it. It was Premier, not Platinum (oops :eek: ).

I almost put mom on the Premier when they were giving current subs a $20 a month discount. But I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would come out ahead on the Platinum because you'd almost have to be using all 10 receivers 24/ 7. :D

Still, I guess some folks have more bucks than brains. :rolleyes:

I almost put mom on the Premier when they were giving current subs a $20 a month discount. But I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would come out ahead on the Platinum because you'd almost have to be using all 10 receivers 24/ 7. :D

Still, I guess some folks have more bucks than brains. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of us here.

PVR4Me,
I am not sure why you feel compelled to ask us questions while ignoring all answers. Please feel free to make any decision you want. Do not feel you have the need to convert anyone. Trust us, you are not the first to make the arguments.

People that love TiVo above all will probably eventually leave DirecTV. People that want a DVR with the most HD content will learn to love or tolerate the HR2x. Love for TiVo is like a religion with some. The likelihood of converting a zealot is not high.

Enjoy whatever you feel you must do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts