DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree I am thinking the third week, I have no info on this, just a feeling?

Now what channels do you think might be the first few that get lit up.

Now what channels do you think might be the first few that get lit up.

ESPNU will be among the first I would guess, and Travel. I say that simply because people here seem to want them. Of course they(D*) may have other plans.

ESPNU will be among the first I would guess, and Travel. I say that simply because people here seem to want them. Of course they(D*) may have other plans.

Travel would be nice, its prob the only HD channel that I miss from Dish. They have some good programming. With ESPNU, anytime beofre college football would be good :)

Still enjoying your D* setup satjay?

Oh yes, I was a long time Direct sub before I switched almost two years ago when I had this crazy idea about trying something different, change it up a bit, thats when I went to Dish for a "Change" Missed MLB Network and some of the other sports options with Direct, and without this thread going off into another direction the full time RSN :)

Well first week of may is basically done.

You guys wanna guess which of the remaining weeks we start seeing some new channels?
Many have already guessed the week of the 19th. Agree?

Like I said in another thread, I'm guessing the 19th, but the way Directv works, it could be the 26th.

target.png

Some interesting happenings today. D* is going to temporarily halt the use of D10 in order to try to fix it's spot beam issue that they report back in September 07. In order to do this, D12 will be in it's final spot and ready around 5/11. Then D10 will be moved slightly so that D* can "ameliorate" D10 and then move it back.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=815158

DirecTV 10 is currently operating at the 102.815° orbital location. As DirecTV has previously informed the Commission, that satellite suffered a post launch anomaly that has limited the capacity available in certain local markets. DirecTV believes that it can ameliorate this condition, but will need to discontinue commercial service from the satellite and relocate it slightly so that it is not within the cluster of it's other operational satellites. Accordingly, DirecTV intends to move DirecTV 10 to the 102.6° position to conduct the restorative procedure. During this migration, DirecTV 10 will continue to provide service to subscribers. However, over the course of this migration, DirecTV intends to transfer all traffic from DirecTV 10 to DirecTV 12, DirecTV's newest satellite which has just completed in-orbit testing and is expected to arrive at the nominal 103° location on or about May 11, 2010. At the conclusion of the STA period, the satellite will be in a position for the corrective procedure to be attempted.

D12 has two more CONUS transponders than D10 does. So D12 can handle D10's load then probably about 10 more channels. Also D* could use some of the part RSN/PPV/Sunday Ticket bandwidth to add more channels until D10 get back in service.

Some interesting happenings today. D* is going to temporarily halt the use of D10 in order to try to fix it's spot beam issue that they report back in September 07. In order to do this, D12 will be in it's final spot and ready around 5/11. Then D10 will be moved slightly so that D* can "ameliorate" D10 and then move it back.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=815158

D12 has two more CONUS transponders than D10 does. So D12 can handle D10's load then probably about 10 more channels. Also D* could use some of the part RSN/PPV/Sunday Ticket bandwidth to add more channels until D10 get back in service.

This is good news, indeed. The only thing I am not sure about is your date of 5/11 to have D12 ready to go. The release said D12 will arrive at 103 on 5/11, not that it will be ready to go. The requested STA is for 30 days starting May 14th. Either way, if they can fix D10, that will mean more lil hd channels! We should know by mid June!

that is very good news. :up
It doesn't sound at all like good news to me. At the happiest, it would seem to add days to the deployment of new HD channels.

Looking at it from the glass half empty side, it might appear that D12 is unable to meet its spotbeam demands (replacing D10 and then some) and they're going to have to figure out some way to use them both. Then again, they may just be trying to verify that D10 can be a backup for D12.

[strike]I would imagine that this process would be complicated and DIRECTV will need to move D10 to a testing slot after everything there has been moved to D12.[/strike] In the interim, it would seem that they have limited new bandwidth at best.

Last edited:
its good news to me since it would mean D10 would run at full capacity.it could also mean that all the testing they did to D12 was to make sure it could handle taking up the slack for D10 while its being repaired. by the way, do you have directv?

its good news to me since it would mean D10 would run at full capacity. by the way, do you have directv?

Sounds good to me as well. They can still add new HD, and possibly get d10 fixed to boot. I would be happy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.