DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And that has what to do with your claim that they are going to turn off the spot beams on D10?
What part of the phrase "take over retransmission" is escaping your grasp? D10 spot beams will become "the backup" to D12's spot beams. They cannot be active or they would interfere.

The truth is more important than the party line. The documentation is clear and you don't need to subscribe to DIRECTV to grasp it. You do have to be interested the truth to appreciate the facts..

Please Direct give us a couple of new HD channels soon, this technical talk is getting crazy :)

What part of the phrase "take over retransmission" is escaping your grasp? D10 spot beams will become "the backup" to D12's spot beams. They cannot be active or they would interfere.

The truth is more important than the party line. The documentation is clear and you don't need to subscribe to DIRECTV to grasp it. You do have to be interested the truth to appreciate the facts..

You seem much more interested in FUD than the truth.

Where was it stated that D10 will become D12's back up ?

From what I've read, they are temporarily disabling D10 long enough to try and fix it, once it's fixed, turn it back on and continue with the D12 turn on.

Thus allowing D10 to be fully functional and D12 as well.

Last edited:
Whare was it stated that D10 will become D12's back up ?

From what I've read, they are temporarily disabling D10 long enough to try and fix it, once it's fixed, turn it back on and continue with the D12 turn on.

Thus allowing D10 to be fully functional and D12 as well.

I believe you are correct!

Feeding trolls are fun. I love getting fed.;)

Anyway I think your being a little hard on Harsh,
There are many bad things that can happen while this mess is going on .
Some of you need to be aware of this.

Yes while good could come from it,
Its Clear D* didn't want to attemp anything like this with D12 not on stand by.
That brings chills up the spine.

This site would look really funny if every post was something positive.

Just remember, they can screw D10 up more then it is.
This is Man we are talking about. NOT GOD!

Then what?

Now We know why the testing took so long.
Thats disturbing!:(

I don't think D* would try this if there was a chance that doing this would hurt the CONUS capability of D10. Gaining spot beams back that they've already learned to live without isn't worth the risk of losing precious CONUS space. I can't believe they would be that stupid to try this if CONUS space would be at risk. From what we've seen over the years D* is by nature a very conservative company. Doing something that would be very risky, isn't in their nature.

Last edited:
Where was it stated that D10 will become D12's back up ?
In the FCC application for D12 launch authority that I quoted (and linked to) above. Note that this "back up" capacity is with respect to only the spot beam capacity. D10 should still be able to add CONUS capacity once it returns to service.
D12 is proposed to be fully functional and completely take over D10's responsibilities (and perhaps a few new ones) before D10 repairs are attempted. It is important to not confuse a satellite going live with adding channels (other than they can't add a significant number of channels without the satellite first going live).

I can't seem to find whether or not the repair application has been approved. Searching the FCC database is decidedly a dark art. The search engines are particularly adept at returning only impertinent or outdated information.

It is simple. D12 has more spot beams than D10, meaning D12 alone will add to the number of spot beams. D12 also has room for more CONUS transmission, meaning D12 itself will add more National HD. Once D10 is turned back on, it will then provide even more CONUS transmission.

No matter how negative you want to view it, this will be an addition

For what it's worth D12 is now at 102.9573° W. Just a couple more days of fine tuning at it will be ready to go.
The [strike]latest[/strike] highest numbered TLE I've found (#184) places DIRECTV 12 at 104.13W and still in the drift orbit. An apparently more recent TLE (#175) also indicates that D12 is still in the drift orbit and at 104.12W. Either way, it would appear that DIRECTV 12 is still in the drift orbit and has already passed 104W.

Feeding trolls are fun. I love getting fed.;)

Anyway I think your being a little hard on Harsh,
There are many bad things that can happen while this mess is going on .
Some of you need to be aware of this.

Yes while good could come from it,
Its Clear D* didn't want to attemp anything like this with D12 not on stand by.
That brings chills up the spine.

This site would look really funny if every post was something positive.

Just remember, they can screw D10 up more then it is.
This is Man we are talking about. NOT GOD!

Then what?

Now We know why the testing took so long.
Thats disturbing!:(

IF its fixed, NOT WHEN!;)

This is not just changing a flat tire.:)

You seem to think that they incapable of doing anything right ...

Then again when you don't like D* and come here to stir the pot, I guess it doesn't matter.

You must think they are letting the field tech work on this ?

I think if they are attempting to fix this they must feel that it is definitely worth the effort.

Do you do anything other than forecast doom and gloom ?

IF they cannot fix it, they will be no worse off than not trying.

Do you think the sat is going to fall out of the sky ?

WHY, would they try to fix it when they didn't have another sat up there to cover for it when they had to shut it down to work on it, IF they need to shut it down.
It would be pretty damn stupid to shut it down and have all those channels off the air while they do this when they can cover the channels when the new one is up there ..... really glad your NOT making the calls.

In the FCC application for D12 launch authority that I quoted (and linked to) above. Note that this "back up" capacity is with respect to only the spot beam capacity. D10 should still be able to add CONUS capacity once it returns to service.D12 is proposed to be fully functional and completely take over D10's responsibilities (and perhaps a few new ones) before D10 repairs are attempted. It is important to not confuse a satellite going live with adding channels (other than they can't add a significant number of channels without the satellite first going live).

I can't seem to find whether or not the repair application has been approved. Searching the FCC database is decidedly a dark art. The search engines are particularly adept at returning only impertinent or outdated information.

But your failing to remember that D12 is replacing D10 TEMPORARILY , not forever, this is only going to be there till they get D10 fixed and then go on it's way to doing what it was designed for.

The [strike]latest[/strike] highest numbered TLE I've found (#184) places DIRECTV 12 at 104.13W and still in the drift orbit. An apparently more recent TLE (#175) also indicates that D12 is still in the drift orbit and at 104.12W. Either way, it would appear that DIRECTV 12 is still in the drift orbit and has already passed 104W.

There's something weird about 184, but since the timestamp of 184 is older than 175 by about a day, TLE 175 is the more correct one and places D12 at 102.96 which is very close to the 102.765 final destination.

Code:
 #   Date GMT   Perigee  Apogee   Gap  Chg-Hrs   Day     Long     Lat   Inclin
175 05-09 05:37 36,002 x 36,044     42 +25.01H 131.22D 102.96°W  0.03°N  0.10°
184 05-08 04:36 36,003 x 36,044     41 +13.67H 130.18D  99.82°W  0.05°N  0.10°
182 05-07 14:56 36,003 x 36,044     41 + 9.09H 129.61D  98.01°W  0.07°S  0.10°
174 05-07 05:51 36,003 x 36,044     41 +27.14H 129.23D  96.94°W  0.03°N  0.09°

It is simple. D12 has more spot beams than D10, meaning D12 alone will add to the number of spot beams. D12 also has room for more CONUS transmission, meaning D12 itself will add more National HD. Once D10 is turned back on, it will then provide even more CONUS transmission.

No matter how negative you want to view it, this will be an addition
:up:up:up

Yes D12 has a bigger capacity, but now we know why we're only getting about 30 HD channels added.

Because D10 is getting shut down for a bit.

Lets just pray D10 will still be 100% operational after the repairs.:up

You seem to think that they incapable of doing anything right ...

Then again when you don't like D* and come here to stir the pot, I guess it doesn't matter.

You must think they are letting the field tech work on this ?

I think if they are attempting to fix this they must feel that it is definitely worth the effort.

Do you do anything other than forecast doom and gloom ?

IF they cannot fix it, they will be no worse off than not trying.

Do you think the sat is going to fall out of the sky ?

WHY, would they try to fix it when they didn't have another sat up there to cover for it when they had to shut it down to work on it, IF they need to shut it down.
It would be pretty damn stupid to shut it down and have all those channels off the air while they do this when they can cover the channels when the new one is up there ..... really glad your NOT making the calls.
Are you done?:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)