DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It doesn't sound at all like good news to me. At the happiest, it would seem to add days to the deployment of new HD channels.

Looking at it from the glass half empty side, it might appear that D12 is unable to meet its spotbeam demands (replacing D10 and then some) and they're going to have to figure out some way to use them both. Then again, they may just be trying to verify that D10 can be a backup for D12.

[strike]I would imagine that this process would be complicated and DIRECTV will need to move D10 to a testing slot after everything there has been moved to D12.[/strike] In the interim, it would seem that they have limited new bandwidth at best.

You really should stop posting in the Directv forums. Your posts are virtually all negative ones.

Made a seperate thread for this as it is frontpage news. Big win if they can fix D10 and get that spotbeam capability back to provide even more HD Local markets. Originally they planned to support 1,500 HD Locals, which is almost enough for every DMA.

Some interesting happenings today. D* is going to temporarily halt the use of D10 in order to try to fix it's spot beam issue that they report back in September 07. In order to do this, D12 will be in it's final spot and ready around 5/11. Then D10 will be moved slightly so that D* can "ameliorate" D10 and then move it back.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=815158

D12 has two more CONUS transponders than D10 does. So D12 can handle D10's load then probably about 10 more channels. Also D* could use some of the part RSN/PPV/Sunday Ticket bandwidth to add more channels until D10 get back in service.

When I reread the post it looks like I was drunk when I posted it.

beer.gif

I was in a hurry because I was getting ready to leave but there are so many typos.
icon_pull_hair.gif

its good news to me since it would mean D10 would run at full capacity.it could also mean that all the testing they did to D12 was to make sure it could handle taking up the slack for D10 while its being repaired.
They had planned to turn off D10 spotbeams. Having it available as a backup to D12 would certainly be desirable, but it wouldn't seem to bring anything new to the party.

Big win if they can fix D10 and get that spotbeam capability back to provide even more HD Local markets.
One shouldn't assume that they are additive. Unless D12 has a spotbeams that run at the Spaceway 1 frequencies, they can't necessarily be run cooperatively.

They had planned to turn off D10 spotbeams. Having it available as a backup to D12 would certainly be desirable, but it wouldn't seem to bring anything new to the party.

And where is your proof of this?

One shouldn't assume that they are additive. Unless D12 has a spotbeams that run at the Spaceway 1 frequencies, they can't necessarily be run cooperatively.

"One" shouldn't assume they are not.

I would think that D* would have thought about this by now .... :rolleyes:

Why would they waste thier time and effort on it if they could not work together ?

Stop making sense, Jimbo, you are making my head hurt! :p ;) :D

And where is your proof of this?
The FCC application for D12 launch authority indicates that its spot beam frequencies are the same as those for D10 and that D12 will be used initially to replace D10 spotbeams:
D12 LOA said:
Initially, DIRECTV intends to use this satellite, in part, to take over retransmission of HD local services currently being provided on DIRECTV 10, at which time, the spot beam capacity of DIRECTV 10 will become the backup for that capability on DIRECTV 12.
Clearly the spot beam capabilities are not additive.

The FCC application for D12 launch authority indicates that its spot beam frequencies are the same as those for D10 and that D12 will be used initially to replace D10 spotbeams

And that has what to do with your claim that they are going to turn off the spot beams on D10?

Clearly the spot beam capabilities are not additive.

I'm willing to listen to those that know what they are talking about that say a successful fix of the spot beams on D10 will increase bandwidth availability. I don't know the science behind how it all works, and I suspect you don't either.

The FCC application for D12 launch authority indicates that its spot beam frequencies are the same as those for D10 and that D12 will be used initially to replace D10 spotbeams:Clearly the spot beam capabilities are not additive.

And that has what to do with your claim that they are going to turn off the spot beams on D10?

I'm willing to listen to those that know what they are talking about that say a successful fix of the spot beams on D10 will increase bandwidth availability. I don't know the science behind how it all works, and I suspect you don't either.

How would FIXING the spot beams on D10 be a BAD thing is beyond me ..... :)

its because the person thats saying this is not even a D sub. wishful thinking i guess on his part ;) nothing negative about what D is doing here except that some of the HD channels additions will be a little later.

Basset hounds are by nature very negative animals. How do I know this you ask? My 28 years as a mailman and more importantly, my 5 1/2 years on this forum tell me it is so! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.