DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
D* will never catch up.

I don't care how many Sports packs D* has.
Its time to get the channels that matter to most subscribers.

3rd Quarter I predict Subscriber Losses.

D* is taking to long to deliver.

I can live with what we have now, But i can't blaim anyone who can't, And I certainly want more National/NON RSN HD.
The same thing the Dish folks said when Direct was leading is the same thing I am going to say while Dish is leading. It is not the total number of channels that count, it is what channels they offer that are of interest to you. I too am happy with the current HD offerings. There are not very many other channels that I watch anyway. The channels that I do watch more often are only offered on Direct (I am sure some Dish people will say the same about Dish, which is why they are with them).

Honestly, the list of 30 channels that Direct will be adding and the other channels on Dish that are not available on Direct yet do not really interest me. Except for a few channels, most of these new additions will not be added to may favorites list anyway. I am just happy that Direct is adding more for others that want it.

The same thing the Dish folks said when Direct was leading is the same thing I am going to say while Dish is leading. It is not the total number of channels that count, it is what channels they offer that are of interest to you. I too am happy with the current HD offerings. There are not very many other channels that I watch anyway. The channels that I do watch more often are only offered on Direct (I am sure some Dish people will say the same about Dish, which is why they are with them).
Be honest, Dodger, this is disturbing. Yes I like Baseball and Football, But there is a whole other HD world out there that D* doesn't know a thing about, and it shows.
All I'm saying is enough is enough, lets get this thing going before I get upset.:)

20080730_378_469-pete_rose_finger_in_air.jpg

"Look, D12 is up there and it will be going live soon!"

Last edited:
Be honest, Dodger, this is disturbing. Yes I like Baseball and Football, But there is a whole other HD world out there that D* doesn't know a thing about, and it shows.
All I'm saying is enough is enough, lets get this thing going before I get upset.:)
I don't disagree.

Even with all of the HD Dish is adding, look how many threads are started about them raising prices and equipment costs, and getting their local sports JIPed or not shown at all (of course most of those threads are started by Bob :p). Every company has something the other doesn't. It is this choice and variety that makes it great.

After all, we are complaining about a luxury that most people in most of the world do not even have access to.

I don't disagree.

Even with all of the HD Dish is adding, look how many threads are started about them raising prices and equipment costs, and getting their local sports JIPed or not shown at all (of course most of those threads are started by Bob :p). Every company has something the other doesn't. It is this choice and variety that makes it great.

After all, we are complaining about a luxury that most people in most of the world do not even have access to.
Sports are imposible to watch with E*. In SD and HD, D* has that won, and Had that Title since 1995.
I think its safe for D* to focus elsewhere with our programming.:)

skottey who's talking about defending at all costs?? i'm a business owner myself so i understand and agree with most of what you just said but i honestly i would've left D* by now.you want to continue to ride it out thats fine. Understand that most of us are aware of the issues and it can get irritating hearing the same complaints over and over again. it doesn't resolve anything. you want me to understand your side? i can do that. but try to understand my side and the others. defending D* at all costs or constantly complaining are two extremes i refuse to take.

I can't leave... my choices suck. I was happy as a pig in sh*t when I had FIOS and DirecTV. While FIOS customer service sucks, when you don't have to call them it is an excellent service. I carried all my premiums with FIOS so there was no complaining from me at the time about HD premium adds. Heck, I had all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD, not to mention the Showtimes, Starz, etc. I kept DirecTV with a lower package because I love the DVRs and it I set up with a second set of RSN's and locals, getting the south Florida Sun and FSN versions of the channels. It was great. I just gave them an address within my spotbeam for south Florida and recorded all my basic cable stuff on D*. As a Tampa Bay Lightning fan, it was surprising the number of games we got in only SD that were shown in HD when they played each other @ the Panthers. So I'd watch on DirecTV. I never had a local network pre-emption of broadcast network programming (which is sometimes done for telethons, sports events, local politics) since I had two sets of locals.

And then disaster struck at my house.

I was forced to move. When I looked online FIOS said my new house was serviceable. When I went to sign up it was made clear to me that info was a mistake. So I was stuck with just DirecTV again. Not cool after having FIOS and all those premiums. I guess you could say it spoiled me in a way. But even before I had FIOS, I was irritated with the deceptions of DirecTV. It just didn't bother me near as much when I switched to two HD DVRS and a lower package for $75 a month. Between that and FIOS, I had everything I could want at the time.

On the FIOS aspect of things, I can literally throw a stone at a house that has FIOS. They wired but never made serviceable my small neighborhood. I have looked into Bright House Networks and to get the best mix of premium channnels and basics I would be spending well over $300/month for D* and BHN. And I would STILL NOT have everything I had with FIOS.

So I hold out hope that DirecTV will actually make an attempt to catch up to some of the other providers. As I said there are positive aspects to D*... like the DVRs.

I know it's been a long wait, but it will be slowing starting next week with 5 new channels. Apparently with these 5.

ESPNU HD
Hallmark Movie Channel HD
MSNBC HD
Travel Channel HD
WGN America HD

And after D* is done with D10, even more will be coming.

I can't leave... my choices suck. I was happy as a pig in sh*t when I had FIOS and DirecTV. While FIOS customer service sucks, when you don't have to call them it is an excellent service. I carried all my premiums with FIOS so there was no complaining from me at the time about HD premium adds. Heck, I had all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD, not to mention the Showtimes, Starz, etc. I kept DirecTV with a lower package because I love the DVRs and it I set up with a second set of RSN's and locals, getting the south Florida Sun and FSN versions of the channels. It was great. I just gave them an address within my spotbeam for south Florida and recorded all my basic cable stuff on D*. As a Tampa Bay Lightning fan, it was surprising the number of games we got in only SD that were shown in HD when they played each other @ the Panthers. So I'd watch on DirecTV. I never had a local network pre-emption of broadcast network programming (which is sometimes done for telethons, sports events, local politics) since I had two sets of locals.

And then disaster struck at my house.

I was forced to move. When I looked online FIOS said my new house was serviceable. When I went to sign up it was made clear to me that info was a mistake. So I was stuck with just DirecTV again. Not cool after having FIOS and all those premiums. I guess you could say it spoiled me in a way. But even before I had FIOS, I was irritated with the deceptions of DirecTV. It just didn't bother me near as much when I switched to two HD DVRS and a lower package for $75 a month. Between that and FIOS, I had everything I could want at the time.

On the FIOS aspect of things, I can literally throw a stone at a house that has FIOS. They wired but never made serviceable my small neighborhood. I have looked into Bright House Networks and to get the best mix of premium channnels and basics I would be spending well over $300/month for D* and BHN. And I would STILL NOT have everything I had with FIOS.

So I hold out hope that DirecTV will actually make an attempt to catch up to some of the other providers. As I said there are positive aspects to D*... like the DVRs.
i wish i had fios in my area. not many options here. i've heard that their dvrs stink. i understand why you're still giving directv more time.

Last edited:
I know it's been a long wait, but it will be slowing starting next week with 5 new channels. Apparently with these 5.

ESPNU HD
MSNBC HD
Travel Channel HD
WGN America HD

What happend to Starz Cinema?

ESPNU HD
MSNBC HD
Travel Channel HD
WGN America HD

Thats a great start, having Dish recently, travel is a nice HD channel. Maybe some of us are "down" a bit becouse we are seeing some of the HD adds dish is doing, I made the choice a few weeks ago to come back to Direct becouse there were some channels I missed and it was nice to have my RSN in HD all the time. And I think that Direct will be adding more national (I hope :)

Anyways hopefully next week will be the start of some nice HD adds! :):)

ESPNU HD
MSNBC HD
Travel Channel HD
WGN America HD

Where is this list from? I've seen some mention lists like this but nobody of actual stature?

This still cracks me up
DIRECTV: DIRECTV vs DISH: HD Comparison

Both are so full of it. If I counted right (not counting BS PPV's), Dish has 107 full time HD, and D* has 105, with another 5 coming next week.

They are both neck and neck, and while Dish has more non sports than D*, a lot of the stuff Dish has in HD is kinda crap.

Im thankful for full-time HD RSN's, as are most fans. I just like the methods of counting, and Dish took the cake with 200. I also still like my less compressed D* HD.

Where is this list from? I've seen some mention lists like this but nobody of actual stature?

You have to look at this carefully but the five channels I mentioned, are listed as coming in May. The others in the press release from last month, say coming this summer. The HD channels with a "*" beside them are coming in May (which SatelliteRacer said is next week) and the others have a "t" beside them.

You have to look at this carefully but the five channels I mentioned, are listed as coming in May. The others in the press release from last month, say coming this summers. The HD channels with a "*" beside them are coming in May (which SatelliteRacer said is next week) and the others have a "t" beside them.

Yepp, you can easily see whats coming this May, and it's been said that those 5 are next week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts