DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DIRECTV: DIRECTV vs DISH: HD Comparison

You have to look at this carefully but the five channels I mentioned, are listed as coming in May. The others in the press release from last month, say coming this summer. The HD channels with a "*" beside them are coming in May (which SatelliteRacer said is next week) and the others have a "t" beside them.

Thanks, hadn't seen that link yet :)

I realize that. What I am saying is that the SD channels are not stretched so you are not making an accurate comparison. All SD channels are 4:3. If they are stretched on your TV, then you are the one stretching them and you can change that by changing the settings on your TV and/or your DVR/receiver.

Someone else want to jump in and let him know that TRAV is stretched? I have both receivers set to display the original signal as formatted and dont have this problem with any other SD channel that I usually watch. TV's are also set to display what they get from the receiver.

So either both of my receivers are ignoring their settings (for two years and through a brazillion s/w updates), or all four of the tv's I've had attached to them were setup wrong, and pretty much for this channel only.

Not to mention there are about 35 threads over at dbstalk with users complaining about this for the past ~2.5 years and the moderators closing the threads because its the way TRAV sends the signal to directv.

Someone else want to jump in and let him know that TRAV is stretched? I have both receivers set to display the original signal as formatted and dont have this problem with any other SD channel that I usually watch. TV's are also set to display what they get from the receiver.

So either both of my receivers are ignoring their settings (for two years and through a brazillion s/w updates), or all four of the tv's I've had attached to them were setup wrong, and pretty much for this channel only.

Not to mention there are about 35 threads over at dbstalk with users complaining about this for the past ~2.5 years and the moderators closing the threads because its the way TRAV sends the signal to directv.

Travel channel is not stretched on either of my HD boxes or TVs. The commercials are mostly 4:3 filled and the programs are for the most part 16x9 inside the 4:3 window making it picture framed like any show meant for 16x9 shown on an SD channel. It won't matter next week as it goes HD for us, but other than it being shatty SD, it is like it should be.

Explain what? You are the one that appears confused.

What Trav does it maintain everything in it proper format. What you are probably trying to describe windowboxing. It is definitely not stretched

If Trav means Travel channel? They do show many shows in "HD" not stretched, When Direct gets it, it will be a nice add :)
showoff!!! :p:D thats the one channel i miss when i left dish. have never watched it on D since its in SD

showoff!!! :p:D thats the one channel i miss when i left dish. have never watched it on D since its in SD

I am with you ray! I left Dish and that is one channel I miss with Direct. I have been back with Direct for about two weeks now

Explain what? You are the one that appears confused.

What Trav does it maintain everything in it proper format. What you are probably trying to describe windowboxing. It is definitely not stretched

Then you explain it. Both of my HR20's are set to native off, screen format original format, and bar color gray. All four tv's I've used on them were set to 'full'. Changing native from off to on makes no difference. Any SD or HD content on channels other than TRAV and FLN display just fine.

Plus there are all those threads where other people complain about the same thing and the response is "because thats how TRAV/FLN gives the content to directv.

What I get is a typical 4:3 stretched to 16:9 format (everything is fat) with black bars on top and bottom, with the logo's and bugs for the screen being formatted without any stretching and they extend down below the picture partially into the black bar below.

This is frustrating because its the same crap I get from most people at dbstalk and some people here: whenever something is wrong, its never directv or the box, its something I'm doing wrong or something is broken. So far in about 2 years of use its "stuff I did wrong or the box being broken:2, stuff that was wrong with the content, the software or something directv was doing wrong: 296".

Don't know what to tell you. I have not seen this issue you are talking about. You may be correct because I don't watch Travel that much to see this problem.

Do you have bars on the top and bottom AND on the sides at the same time when watching what you are describing? If so, this is known as windowboxing. Do you see a stretched image within the smaller window box?

Letterbox
303530_1.jpg

Pillarbox
303530_2.jpg

Windowbox
303530_3.jpg

Then you explain it. Both of my HR20's are set to native off, screen format original format, and bar color gray. All four tv's I've used on them were set to 'full'. Changing native from off to on makes no difference. Any SD or HD content on channels other than TRAV and FLN display just fine.

Plus there are all those threads where other people complain about the same thing and the response is "because thats how TRAV/FLN gives the content to directv.

What I get is a typical 4:3 stretched to 16:9 format (everything is fat) with black bars on top and bottom, with the logo's and bugs for the screen being formatted without any stretching and they extend down below the picture partially into the black bar below.

This is frustrating because its the same crap I get from most people at dbstalk and some people here: whenever something is wrong, its never directv or the box, its something I'm doing wrong or something is broken. So far in about 2 years of use its "stuff I did wrong or the box being broken:2, stuff that was wrong with the content, the software or something directv was doing wrong: 296".
Try 'pillar box' format on the DVR

If I set it to pillar box it makes a lot of stuff that displays just fine in letterbox display wrong. I really dont want to have to change the HR's screen output format every time I pick a different show.

Since i have it set to 'original format', if its in 4:3 pillar as its normal format I should get it in 4:3 pillar, right? And if its in letterbox I should get it in letterbox, right?

Its in letterbox format, 4:3 stretched to 16:19, black bars top and bottom, logo/bugs not stretched and extending into the bottom black bar. Since the logos arent distorted and the logo/bugs extend into the letterbox, it appears that TRAV (and FLN) are both formatting this as stretched letterbox, then applying their logos and bugs. If it was 4:3 that the HR was stretching, the logos and bugs would be stretched too and not extend into the bottom black bar.

Seriously, is it just me and the 35 guys who complained about this on dbstalk and were told that its how TRAV is sending the signal and nobody else sees this, or does everyone else who watches these channels watching them on a 4:3 tv with everything set to pillar?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)