DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As BBC needs are well documented and will never change, it would probably have been best to simply point the poster with BBC questions to one of the existing threads.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the moderators to cut and paste every off-topic "subthread" to an appropriate forum and thread.

As BBC needs are well documented and will never change, it would probably have been best to simply point the poster with BBC questions to one of the existing threads.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the moderators to cut and paste every off-topic "subthread" to an appropriate forum and thread.
My post also stated it should not be done on every thread, so you overlooked that in my post as well as the fact that vBulletin supplies tools for splitting threads - there is no "cut and paste" required.

IMO, conversations can occasionally veer so far off topic that the new conversation warrants its own thread, and using the forum tools to split those posts out to a new thread only serves to better the community as that topic is much easier to find for new visitors.

(I'll climb off my soap box now.)

I dont disagree that long passages of off topic but useful information might be well served by being parted out. But some new person looking for bbc information will probably do a search for 10 seconds and then post their question without going past the 2nd or 3rd search result, right? ;)

I was sort of railing against excessively rigid boxing off and moderation, which we dont suffer from here. I know this is a thing that goes back to the dawn of discussions, where you have a camp of folks that wants everything structured and broken down into 300 sub forums with every discussion being about only the original topic and the thread slammed shut the moment a moderator thinks enough discussion was to be had, and people who can have a free form discussion without a lot of boundaries.

While parting things out has its benefits, it may be that many of the people participating in the off topic material were only doing so because they had interest in the original topic and were okay with winding a bit off course. But those same folks might never bother clicking on a "BBC's?" thread. I probably wouldnt.

Back to topic, Bestbuy just announced that ESPN3D will launch this friday, so maybe there are some more channels coming out on the same day.

Yep, I thought that was a good one too. Got it stuffed in my email with an offer for some gift cards if I buy a 3d tv, get directv service, about $2000 worth of monster cables and some geek squad assistance.

I think I'm headed over there tomorrow to see if they can deliver it and hook it up by friday.

And just in case the sarcasm isnt dripping through....I keed, I keed...

Back to topic, Bestbuy just announced that ESPN3D will launch this friday, so maybe there are some more channels coming out on the same day.
that was already announced here before. :confused::p

I noticed my R22 had new software the other day and there is a popup that mentioned "your receiver is now 3D capable"

A national roll out of software has already started for all HR2x boxes that will include 3D support (HR20 boxes are excluded).

Then why did both of my HR20-100's get it over the weekend - which in the splash screen you first get right after an update, specifically said it was for 3D??? :confused: :confused:

Then why did both of my HR20-100's get it over the weekend - which in the splash screen you first get right after an update, specifically said it was for 3D??? :confused: :confused:

Well the HR20 do get the sofware but they don't support the 3D. I should've made my post more clear that the 3D support is what the HR20s are exempt from.

At the other site some more information trickling out about when more HD is coming. After moderator Tom said that he would sleep in on June 30th (he normally says he will get up early on HD launch days) another user joking said D* lied about more HD coming by the end of June.

Then SatelliteRacer chimed in with this.

"Probably not.....you're likely to see it SOONER, instead. :D"

So maybe June 23rd is when we will more.

I just wish I could just pay for the freaking channels I wanted and no others. I don't care about 3D, ESPN, ESPNU, HBO HD, Showtime HD, or most other BS re-run channels...why do I have to pay for 190 channels I don't watch??

Given the OTA channels I get and what I can watch over the internet why am I paying for TV??

I just wish I could just pay for the freaking channels I wanted and no others. I don't care about 3D, ESPN, ESPNU, HBO HD, Showtime HD, or most other BS re-run channels...why do I have to pay for 190 channels I don't watch??

Given the OTA channels I get and what I can watch over the internet why am I paying for TV??
you mean a la carte? that ain't happening any time soon :no. would be great though

you mean a la carte? that ain't happening any time soon :no. would be great though

Not really ....

You cost for programming would be just as high unless you only got a few channels.

Remember, most of the channels you watch most have sister channels that are there BECAUSE of the contract that had to be reached to get that TOP channel on the air.

Yeah, a la carte is a loser. Half the channels would disappear overnight because they wouldnt be able to charge enough for the channel to cover their costs and still get people to pay for it. The remaining costs of carriage would force the carriers to charge so much for the remaining desirable channels that your bill would end up the same.

Otherwise, customers who only pay $5 a month for 10 channels they want would be unprofitable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.