DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Also let me add that it has also been stated that there will be more channels launched at some point besides these. After the initial batch of 30 channels are launched, there is capacity for 50 more. What D* will do with them, who the heck knows.

I would guess atleast another 20 RSN's ,
10 3D, and 20 PPV. Thats my Guess of what D* will do with 50 HD channel slots.:eek:

I would guess atleast another 20 RSN's ,
10 3D, and 20 PPV. Thats my Guess of what D* will do with 50 HD channel slots.:eek:

Yeah... more 3D crap.

If 3D catches on I'll eat crow. I am not buying it. I think it will fail. I wish they'd focus on bringing us more HD... the 30 they are adding barely scratches the surface of what they are missing. This gimmicky stuff needs to end. 3D is DOA.

At least give us more premiums. I buy all new movies I want on BD so I don't usually watch them on the premiums. I do however like to watch older movies & series's on the premiums and would like to see more of them in HD & I could if D* would add the missing premiums. Although I am happy we are getting some new channels.

At least give us more premiums. I buy all new movies I want on BD so I don't usually watch them on the premiums. I do however like to watch older movies & series's on the premiums and would like to see more of them in HD & I could if D* would add the missing premiums. Although I am happy we are getting some new channels.

Yes, your thought process is repeated over and over across America. We want more premiums. It doesn't mean we don't know what Netflix is or use it. It doesn't mean we don't buy bluray or DVD discs. It means that we see a ton of value in premium multichannels. From the series and older movies like you stated to finding that hidden treasure of a movie that you would never watch/buy if it wasn't for stumbling across it on 5StarMax West on a Sunday afternoon.

DirecTV veterans have never been spoiled by multichannels. Dating back to 1999 or sooner I had digital cable with the east and west feeds of a ton of HBO/MAX/Showtime/TMC channels. Then, getting FIOS and getting most of them in HD was incredible. Losing my FIOS and going to DirecTV only was tough. Having the ability to flip or browse the guide of 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD on a Tuesday afternoon makes a HUGE difference compared to 4 channels e/w on DirecTV. Some people will say, "just DVR it when it is on the flagship." Well, that defeats the whole purpose. you have to know what you are looking for. When flipping, your mind behaves differently and you'll give just about anything five or ten minutes of your time. Long enough to find an excellent movie you would have otherwise NEVER seen.

Having linear TV channels with a continues schedule has some serious value. Some people imagine a world of VOD libraries only with no "channels" as we know them today. People really need to be careful what they wish for. Do we really want to lose "channels?" I don't.

VOD certainly has it's place but it shouldn't replace TV channels with a schedule laid out for you. There has to be a way to be presented with something you may think you won't like. Because there are a ton of hidden treasures in Hollywood. I cannot watch a day of TCM without finding a "really good" classic I may have never seen if I wasn't looking for something different.

Yeah... more 3D crap.

If 3D catches on I'll eat crow. I am not buying it. I think it will fail. I wish they'd focus on bringing us more HD... the 30 they are adding barely scratches the surface of what they are missing. This gimmicky stuff needs to end. 3D is DOA.
Agreed

Yup, and you don't know for sure, but lot of people get headaches from the way it all works.

Now the way it works is interesting, but I don't find the final product to be anything I'm interested in.

I have occasional bouts of vertigo. 3D and me won't get along very well. Add my vote to the "I hope it fails" crowd! Hey, I agree with Skottey on something! :D ;)

Well in the announced list of coming channels there are 9 HD premiums among them.

Encore HD East
HBO2 HD East
HBO Zone HD
Showtime Beyond HD
Showtime Next HD
Showtime Women HD
Starz Cinema HD
Starz InBlack HD
TMC Xtra HD East

Is this enough? No. But it is at least something.

Well in the announced list of coming channels there are 9 HD premiums among them.

Encore HD East
HBO2 HD East
HBO Zone HD
Showtime Beyond HD
Showtime Next HD
Showtime Women HD
Starz Cinema HD
Starz InBlack HD
TMC Xtra HD East

Is this enough? No. But it is at least something.

Why no love for HBO? Now there will be 3 HBO's in HD where most everyone has at least 10 HBO's 5 Cinemax channels. Out of all the premiums showtime is my least favorite in PQ and movie selection.

Do you have a reference? Link?
Is one really needed?

SPORTS PACK 37 channels plus alternates/overflows, many available in HD
Starz Super Pack 17 channels including 5 in HD + 2 on demand
Showtime 15 channels including 6 in HD + 3 on demand
HBO 9 channels including 2 (if you believe that HBOe is different from HBOw) in HD + 0 on demand
Cinemax 5 channels including 2 in HD + 0 on demand

All of these packages carry the same monthly fee except for HBO that fetches an extra $2. See a disparity?

Is one really needed?

SPORTS PACK 37 channels plus alternates/overflows, many available in HD
Starz Super Pack 17 channels including 5 in HD + 2 on demand
Showtime 15 channels including 6 in HD + 3 on demand
HBO 9 channels including 2 (if you believe that HBOe is different from HBOw) in HD + 0 on demand
Cinemax 5 channels including 2 in HD + 0 on demand

All of these packages carry the same monthly fee except for HBO that fetches an extra $2. See a disparity?
Are there more HBO channels that DirecTV could carry?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)