DirecTV announces new local H/D DMA's(Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ok, where are the wheeling,wv/steubenville,oh locals? We don't have locals in sd or hd yet on directv or dish and we were supposed to have them 4 years ago? What is causing the holdup?

Think back and remember if D* said that your locals would be up, or your locals in HD ?
Are your locals SD up ?

Toledo locals in SD ARE up, have been for awhile now.

Q. The LOCAL ARE where D* directed thier efforts in order to be able to compete with the local cable companies.
REMEMBER most cable companies are LOCAL, making locals much easier to deal with.

Jimbo

Norfolk (HD)lil was promised almost 2 years ago.

Is that really a fair statement when most providers are not national. It makes little difference to individual directv subs what directv is doing on a overall nationwide basis when other local cable and broadband provders are offering more of their local channels in hd. And yes, while I can not provide a realistic figure, excluding those in very rural areas with no providers at all, on a per sub basic I would figure it's well more than 50 percent the case that there is another alternative besides directv that offers just as many if not more local networks in hd. Epsecially considering directv's lackluster coverage of pbs and cw, and their trouble with LIN.

Directv should stick to trumping their national sports packages, because local channels in hd is not where they have the advantage over competition.

maybe, you should attempt to use factual information for a change. here in central florida, i receive all of my locals in hd except pbs which is forthcoming. more and more of the larger dma's have actually been adding the cw and mytvn since the end of the year.

i think directv has done a better job of keeping their customers informed say than dish network has. our local cable company, bright house, does a poor job of informing their customers until right before or after it happens. i can't speak for the other cable companies.

Is that really a fair statement when most providers are not national. It makes little difference to individual directv subs what directv is doing on a overall nationwide basis when other local cable and broadband provders are offering more of their local channels in hd. And yes, while I can not provide a realistic figure, excluding those in very rural areas with no providers at all, on a per sub basic I would figure it's well more than 50 percent the case that there is another alternative besides directv that offers just as many if not more local networks in hd. Epsecially considering directv's lackluster coverage of pbs and cw, and their trouble withLIN.

Their trouble with LIN? You are going to blame Directv for that? Come on, except for Cox and Comcast, few other providers have LIN in hd.

Their trouble with LIN? You are going to blame Directv for that? Come on, except for Cox and Comcast, few other providers have LIN in hd.

FIOS generally has not, combine that with cox and comcast, that's a big bulk of coverage.

maybe, you should attempt to use factual information for a change. here in central florida, i receive all of my locals in hd except pbs which is forthcoming. more and more of the larger dma's have actually been adding the cw and mytvn since the end of the year.

i think directv has done a better job of keeping their customers informed say than dish network has. our local cable company, bright house, does a poor job of informing their customers until right before or after it happens. i can't speak for the other cable companies.

Yes but what matters is what locals in hd brighthouse offers, as well as any other available choices in the area and how long they have had them before directv played catchup.

My point is it's rare for directv to have any sort of advantage over other local providers when it comes to local stations in hd, and in many cases they are still lagging behind.

Yes but what matters is what locals in hd brighthouse offers, as well as any other available choices in the area and how long they have had them before directv played catchup.

My point is it's rare for directv to have any sort of advantage over other local providers when it comes to local stations in hd, and in many cases they are still lagging behind.

hmm, maybe it had something to do with the fact that directv need to put a few more satellites into orbit first before expanding their HD LIL.

i have had bhn hd and to the best of my knowledge (other than PBS which has been addressed), they have one local orlando station in hd that isn't any type of network affiliate. and the only hd shown is the local news.

Q:

Its funny how when DirecTV does have any sort of an advantage you comment is "that they are a huge national company vs FiOS and others that are simply regional". Yet now you use that against them when it suits your purpose?

DUDE; just pick one thought; one story, stick with it.

You have been so very wrong, so many times - I will say at least you do have some cohones for still posting crap and mis-info.

Q:

Its funny how when DirecTV does have any sort of an advantage you comment is "that they are a huge national company vs FiOS and others that are simply regional". Yet now you use that against them when it suits your purpose?

DUDE; just pick one thought; one story, stick with it.

You have been so very wrong, so many times - I will say at least you do have some cohones for still posting crap and mis-info.

I use that reasoning in the proper context of each situation.

The only misinfo being posted here are by those who actually think they can make an argument that directv leads a sizeable percentage of competitors in local hd offerings.

TVBob (a.k.a. Questioner)

Bud you have problems.

Ok, you are right, directv is actually really sticking it to those cable and broadband providers by offering hd channels they have had for years and by not offering some channels they have. Don 't know what I was thinking.

I use that reasoning in the proper context of each situation.

The only misinfo being posted here are by those who actually think they can make an argument that directv leads a sizeable percentage of competitors in local hd offerings.

okay, you win q, let me just throw out my college education and 25 plus years in the news business because obviously you know more than i do. but first let me offer you a suggestion............just once, try to post comparison charts so people can actually judge for themselves. if that's too difficult, try even posting a link or two or at least a website or two.

okay, you win q, let me just throw out my college education and 25 plus years in the news business because obviously you know more than i do. but first let me offer you a suggestion............just once, try to post comparison charts so people can actually judge for themselves. if that's too difficult, try even posting a link or two or at least a website or two.

I wasn't the one who first claimed directv was doing something unprecedented in terms of hd locals compared to other providers. I will be happy to spend the time putting together a chart in response to one that supports this initial claim.

Questioner - first of all, you need to learn to read.
Here is a repeat of the post you keep referring to:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1240796-post56.html

Kudos - first for OVER achieving their stated HD lils goal and doing it 4 months EARLY.

Kudos for leading the pack in HD nationals.

Kudos for giving their customers a 'heads up' as to what their plans are.

Are the other competitors doing ANY of the above right now?

I made 4 points. Which one of them is NOT TRUE?

1) overachieving their stated HD lils goal (76 markets by mid-2008) - then now have 77 and it is was done in mid-Feb.

2) leading the pack in HD nationals. WHO HAS MORE?

3) giving their customers a heads up as to the plans. AREN'T THEY?

4) Who else is doing all of that?

Who said they offer the most HD lils in EVERY MARKET?

LEARN TO READ.

"Kudos - first for OVER achieving their stated HD lils goal and doing it 4 months EARLY.

Are the other competitors doing ANY of the above right now?"

That's where the problem lies. Multiple providers have already achieved or surpassed directv's hd local goals.

Of course, any given cable provider doesn't have to worry about carrying 77 markets on their system. At most it would only be three markets. That is cable's advantage.

DirecTV may not offer ALL local channels, even from neighboring markets. But it is more difficult for DirecTV than for cable companies because DirecTV (and Dish Network) has a nationwide footprint.

Of course, any given cable provider doesn't have to worry about carrying 77 markets on their system. At most it would only be three markets. That is cable's advantage.

DirecTV may not offer ALL local channels, even from neighboring markets. But it is more difficult for DirecTV than for cable companies because DirecTV (and Dish Network) has a nationwide footprint.

Right, and directv does have some advantages of its own. My only point is directv is not the be all and end all of providers that some here seem to think. Each provider, local or national, offers their own pros and cons. Directv fanboys have some things to toot their horns about, but local hd channels should not be one of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)