DirecTV announces new local H/D DMA's(Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As I mentioned, CW's primetime lineup is not exactly a ratings killer.
Way to be extremely modest...
but they are important carriers
Important in what way?
of many syndicated shows now in HD
Many networks have that, what makes CW's worthwhile?
I'm sure they will only attract more and more viewers in the coming years.
More viewers? Based on what?

I would like to see MyNew32 and WIWB/CW in HD via satellite in Green Bay, WI. I would also like to see FOX 11 in HD (owned by LIN). I wouldln't mind also seeing subchannels in HD via satellite too. Can't they accomplish all this, with the exception of the LIN issue, with spot beams to avoid bandwith issues?

In Boston, the only network to carry new episodes of jeopardy and wheel of fortune is the cw affiliate, so those shows are not available in a huge market in hd. And they are big ratings grabbers. I imagine this is the case in other markets as well.

You don't get the CBS network in Boston ?

If I recall correctly, thats where I would find Jeopardy and Wheel in my local market, who and or WHY would you want to watch re runs of these ???

Jimbo

You don't get the CBS network in Boston ?

If I recall correctly, thats where I would find Jeopardy and Wheel in my local market, who and or WHY would you want to watch re runs of these ???

Jimbo

Wheel and jep are not cbs shows, the new episodes are syndicated on a variety of networks, in boston's case, the cw channel 38. Other markets, abc, others nbc etc.

Way to be extremely modest...

Important in what way?

Many networks have that, what makes CW's worthwhile?

More viewers? Based on what?

There are many syndicated shows that don't typically have their new episodes on any of the big 4 major networks, cw gets a big number of these, but mainly there is no set time they have to show episodes unlike shows on the other networks.

I say cw's viewership will improve mainly because their programming really isn't much different from upn's, and they have seen their ratings suffer only because of this transition.

As soon as I see the charts showing how directv's hd local coverage is unprecedented compared to other providers.

But really all you have to do is look at the complete chart of directv locals in all the dmas. There are still many markets missing major networks. Then google to find whatever other cable and broadband providers there are in that area. A vast majority of the time you will find these other providers have more networks, if not, at least the same number.

Q.
Don't you think that a LOCAL cable operator SHOULD have a huge advantage in the local dept., seeing they are only responsible for a small area, I find it great that D* is getting as many locals up as they have, I know MY local is NOT one of them as of yet, but I'm not going to give them extra money to give me something I can get for free, (1 time charge for a decient antenna and a rotor for other cities) I get many more local channels than the local cable company gives. I get them from other cities as well where the local cable only allows a few of the other cities channels, and others are preempted when certain programming is on.

I get about 30-40 OTA channels from 2 different cities ... the local cable company gives me 5 from the local and 2 from the adjacent city.

As you can see, I am not in any rush to see D* get the locals in HD up in my DMA as I already have it covered, but some others would be happy when the time comes....
btw, that time will be shortly after the next satellite is up and operational.

Jimbo

I don't have to. PBS has been an institution of tv for decades, particularly around cities like Boston. It may not be your cup of tea, but to suggest PBS is not an important channel for a ton of people is pure ignorance, particularly for educational institutions and children. Many families would rather have pbs than fox. Plus they have some of the best looking hd programs out there. Ever heard of sesame street? Do you know what kind of ratings it gets?

I have to agree with you on this one, PBS has some fabulous programming in HD .....

that said, I would not give up FOX for it, but it should be included.

Jimbo

Wheel and jep are not cbs shows, the new episodes are syndicated on a variety of networks, in boston's case, the cw channel 38. Other markets, abc, others nbc etc.

Wheel is owned by Sony and syndicated on CBS.

The show is produced by Sony Pictures Television and syndicated by CBS Television Distribution.

Jeopardy is also owned by Sony and syndicated on CBS

Jimbo

For Wheel; I think all that means is that Sony creates & owns the show and that CBS is its distributor; being syndicated, anyone can pony up the fee to carry it in their market.

I think Jeopardy IS a CBS affiliate show.

Neither of these shows list current unaired eps as far as Zap2it is concerned. Seems 1st week of March for Wheel.

Last edited:
I think all that means is that CBS and Sony create & own the show; being syndicated, anyone can pony up the fee to carry it in their market.

Is CBS and Sony associated ?
IF so they would/could have exclusive contracts ...
Thats said, thos shows have always been on CBS in my DMA and the South Texas areas I frequent, so I presumed it was a CBS show, I have never seen it elsewhere.

Jimbo

CBS used to be a part of Viacom, but they split. They are their own entity now.

Sony Pictures Television, Inc. (SPT) is an American television production and distribution company. It is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Entertainment. In turn, the latter is part of the Japanese conglomerate Sony.

SPT was previously known as Screen Gems, Columbia Pictures Television, TriStar Television and Columbia TriStar Television. The name was changed in 2002.

The company also owns and distributes the shows from Tandem Productions, ELP Communications (from TAT to ELP Communications), TeleVentures, Merv Griffin Enterprises, Chuck Barris Productions, Barry & Enright Productions and Bob Stewart Productions.

but to suggest PBS is not an important channel for a ton of people is pure ignorance.
Maybe for a ton, 2000 lbs. worth, yes. I'll bet, though, that more people wopuld rather their tax money did not go to PBS than those that would want it to. Are there SOME good shows on PBS? Yes, a few. But I've never seen PBS as anywhere near as popular as you seem to imply.

Many families would rather have pbs than fox.
I believe, however, that many more would prefer Fox to PBS. Don't ever recall any PBS show being anywhere near the top of the ratings, ever.

Ever heard of sesame street? Do you know what kind of ratings it gets?
Heard of that one show? Yes. EVER seen it anywhere near decent in any ratings listing? NO.

For Wheel; I think all that means is that Sony creates & owns the show and that CBS is its distributor; being syndicated, anyone can pony up the fee to carry it in their market.

Neither of these shows list current unaired eps as far as Zap2it is concerned. Seems 1st week of March for Wheel.

both shows air locally on our ABC affiliate.

Jeopardy and Wheel are sindicated shows and can be on whatever channel has bought the rights to air them in the local area. In my area both are on the NBC affiliate.

Is CBS and Sony associated ?
IF so they would/could have exclusive contracts ...
Thats said, thos shows have always been on CBS in my DMA and the South Texas areas I frequent, so I presumed it was a CBS show, I have never seen it elsewhere.

Jimbo

Here in Binghamton, where we don't even get SD locals on D*, Wheel is on CBS while Jeopardy is on ABC. I get ABC HD with an OTA antenna, but Jeopardy has never been shown in HD locally.

DirecTV, continuing to expand its HD local offering, has added the following ADDITIONS in already lit markets:

NY DMA - WWOR (MNT) channel 9; WPIX (CW) channel 11

Seattle DMA - KMYQ (MNT) channel 22

Minneapolis/St. Paul DMA - WUCW (CW) channel 23; WFTC (MNT) channel 29

San Diego DMA - KSWB (CW) channel 69

HD lil expansion - AWESOME.

DirecTV, continuing to expand its HD local offering, has added the following ADDITIONS in already lit markets:

NY DMA - WWOR (MNT) channel 9; WPIX (CW) channel 12

Seattle DMA - KMYQ (MNT) channel 22

Minneapolis/St. Paul DMA - WUCW (CW) channel 23; WFTC (MNT) channel 29

San Diego DMA - KSWB (CW) channel 69

HD lil expansion - AWESOME.
Yea,Right after I just "moved" my service address back to my real address. I was using my Mothers address,to get NY locals. OH Well! I'm done moving. WPIX is channel 11 not 12 from NY. Might want to edit that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)